X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AVerdantShore
    • Jan 2011

A Red August

I've been rather hesitant to post here, not because of fear of criticism over an accumulated series of garments, both new and old, but because I very much cherish and love the the brands that SZ celebrates and heralds and while I am willing to admit the inherent derivatives, I have not wanted to step on the toes of those designers that have paved the way for people like myself, who often look to them for inspiration.

As a young American, who lived a portion of his life in New York, I always found myself looking to brands overseas and trying to remain afloat of what was generally offered by stateside designers. This is not a boast, but really a sense of disappointment with how the fashion industry has to operate--enough of my rant. This is my side project, which I am, for the time being, calling "A Red August". My store is very much still under construction, but I wanted to share it with you, regardless. I will be adding more and more items as time goes on.

For the most part, items are available in editions of four, or less, all cut and sewn by myself, in the backwoods of Maine.

A RED AUGUST
  • AVerdantShore
    • Jan 2011

I also do private commissions for a small handful of people and am currently making a black linen long jacket for Richard Avedon's grandson, Michael--it is very much in the vein of Harnden, but I can obviously work within a variety of styles. If anyone is interested in approaching with me with ideas, I'm all ears. Cheers! I hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

Comment

• eleves
      • Sep 2012

I think your work is great and your shop looks pretty good! I also find it really cool that you're in Maine (right?) I always like the idea of an artist creating work that he or she likes from a remote area or location that is away from the audience that actually understands or cares to try to understand the work. If my memory serves me correctly, you made a pair of pants for a client in England, they had pinstripes I believe. Will you ever produce something like that again or do you happen to have that same piece unsold?
      Originally posted by Faust
      HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• ClockworkRabbit
        • May 2015

Looks Awesome! I think I like that friar coat the best out of them, really nice cut and texture. Also the names you use are pretty cool, henchmen coat made me laugh :)

Comment

• AVerdantShore
          • Jan 2011

ClockworkRabbit--Thank you. I like that longer coat as well and strangely have found the split neck and cuffs quite enjoyable and easy to wear. It's a piece that I made an extra of for myself. I'm horrible with the naming process and should probably settle on a numerical style.

Comment

• AVerdantShore
            • Jan 2011

eleves--Thank you, as well. It is a bit of an amateur effort right now, as I haven't yet been able to focus on it full-time, with other life duties. As much as I miss the energy of the city and the friendships I made living in New York City, I needed to leave to come to terms with my drinking problems and have decided to come back to where I grew up and have made Maine my home, for now. (I apologize if that was too personal--it's a little bit less romantic than you might have perceived!)

Regarding the pants you're inquiring about, the client disappeared and declined to pay me, prior to shipping them out, so I still have them folded up on the shelf and they are available for sale. They were made without back pockets, as per their request, but I would be inclined to put at least one on, if not two. Please feel free to email me through the site, if it's something you'd have an interest in. Cheers!

Comment

• ClockworkRabbit
              • May 2015

I think you misunderstood my comment a little bit, I was saying it made me laugh in a good way :) I like your names, they give the pieces some extra character that they might not have otherwise. Thinking of something as a Friar coat instead of say a generic long coat is much more appealing to me, it adds to the uniqueness of it. I think you should keep doing it that way, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

• eleves
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by AVerdantShore View Post
                eleves--Thank you, as well. It is a bit of an amateur effort right now, as I haven't yet been able to focus on it full-time, with other life duties. As much as I miss the energy of the city and the friendships I made living in New York City, I needed to leave to come to terms with my drinking problems and have decided to come back to where I grew up and have made Maine my home, for now. (I apologize if that was too personal--it's a little bit less romantic than you might have perceived!)

Regarding the pants you're inquiring about, the client disappeared and declined to pay me, prior to shipping them out, so I still have them folded up on the shelf and they are available for sale. They were made without back pockets, as per their request, but I would be inclined to put at least one on, if not two. Please feel free to email me through the site, if it's something you'd have an interest in. Cheers!
                Definitely not too personal! I think it's a great reason to leave the city and overall is actually better than I originally perceived! Maine is a beautiful place and I am definitely not someone who could live there right now but I do visit there pretty much every year. I find a lot of solace and clarity there, most of the time in ways that one can't really find in a city like NY. I'll send you an email regarding the pants for sure!
                Last edited by eleves; 06-16-2015, 10:40 AM.
                Originally posted by Faust
                HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• redbible
                  • Mar 2015

I can relate, though I didn't have the capability of relocating I spent two years secluded to overcome my drinking problem. That was almost 5 years ago now and not a drink since my last arrest. Stay strong!

-Andry

Comment

• AVerdantShore
                    • Jan 2011

Thank you very much to the small handful of customers who have come through SZ. It's been a very busy few weeks and I appreciate the support.

Above is a quick preview of a custom three piece suit that is done in a soft hand, black linen, lined with white cotton. I am currently makingthis for a member of the forum and as it becomes finished, I will post more pictures. I don't know if they'd choose to remain anonymous, so for the time being, I will not include their name, but it's been quite a fun job for me, thus far!

Once again, thank you for the orders from those of you who have placed one and I hope everyone has a great week!

Comment

• AVerdantShore
                      • Jan 2011

These are some rather last minute photos of a custom order for a client here on SZ. The buttons have not yet been sewn on and the vest is yet unfinished, pending a finished dialogue with the customer. All of the black items are linen, fully lined in white cotton.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.
                      Last edited by AVerdantShore; 07-05-2015, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• AVerdantShore
                        • Jan 2011

Finally finished a few things, today. I'm looking forward to having some more time on my hands to make new products. I've been experimenting with button finishes and was rather happy with these, thus far.

Cotton shirt with painted leather buttons

Linen jacket with cotton lining and bark-tanned leather buttons with thin coat of paint

Comment

• AVerdantShore
                          • Jan 2011

A RED AUGUST: HANDMADE IN THE PINES OF THE NORTHEAST

There are several new items and other items on sale, currently, as more and more items are created and custom orders dealt with. Please email through the site if any questions or items of interest arise. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Comment

• AVerdantShore
                            • Jan 2011

Edition 1/1--Classic, black linen and white cotton blazer:

Raw edge details; single vent; two interior welted pockets; a soft, peak lapel; welted, exterior flap pockets; a chest pocket and boiled and painted bark tanned leather buttons, two at the chest, one at the neck and four at each cuff--custom made for a client from SZ.
                            Last edited by AVerdantShore; 02-20-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Hey man

I must personally tell you i am proud of you, to know all that you have personally overcome.
                              to see you working on your "Art" after much setback and disappointment

this is why its important to believe in yourself even when the naysayers don't!

Keep up the good work man

bless
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎