Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cantara
    • Mar 2015

I just got finished watching this. I watched a similar documentary that vice did a while ago. The only problem I think of is that most people in the world will not care if it's not happening to them. That's the sad world we live in unfortunately.

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Cantara View Post
      The only problem I think of is that most people in the world will not care if it's not happening to them.
      The problem is that most people will not get to see this. I believe in people, even more in younger generations (despite the haul videos).
      If this was compulsory viewing material, I think you could expect a shift in consumer behaviour. Making it last would be the next problem. All the problems in 'developing' countries are obscured by their relative distance, but I don't accept that people don't care when confronted with the issues.

But obviously and fundamentally our economic system is flawed / fucked and needs reinvention. I am not holding my breath for that to happen soon.
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• snafu
        • Apr 2008

I agree ^^^
        My views have influenced friends and family around me when i have discussed this with them. I hesitate to bring it up and only do when I'm pushed.
        For instance i have family friends who run a ironing and dry cleaning service; they always ask my opinion about fashion in general etc, and the father brought out a shirt which had cost next to nothing ... £3 in a sale somewhere and thought it was great; i simply said when your charging £1.5 per shirt to be ironed and whatever to be cleaned, how can you expect someone else to produce a garment for that price... With overheads such as cotton crops, farmers, cloth producers, manufacturing, shipping, retail overheads etc etc ... they had never though about it in that way. Thy agreed it wasn't right.

Comment

• stagename
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by aussy View Post
          Just want to quote this because it's an awesome read.

Comment

• Cantara
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post

But obviously and fundamentally our economic system is flawed / fucked and needs reinvention. I am not holding my breath for that to happen soon.
            I agree. This is the biggest thing that needs to happen. Right now it is hard to avoid because no matter how many people you show this movie to there will always be people out there that can only afford to by clothes from stores that support sweatshops since they are so cheap.

One solution is that people can buy from thrift stores but that isn't going to really solve the problem and not everyone wants to buy used clothes or has access to thrift stores in the first place. Right now there are only of handful of affordable shops that don't support this type of cycle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎