11 by Boris Bidjan Saberi SS16 Men's

More on SZ-mag
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • upsilonkng
    • May 2010

don't forget this...

CHOLO BATTALION
    SS16 / CAMPAIGN
    11BYBBS stares at the “Cholo” gangs attitude and aesthetic, alongside a focus on the marine imaginary to develop the SS16 collection.

Black, white and navy - understanding navy as a tone of black - is the chromatic choice according to the inspirational subjects.

Holes are a common thread throughout the collection as an analogy to bullet holes textures, declined in variant techniques as laser, knitting or embroidery. Keeping the holes concept, grommets are applied on garments as a reference to marine uniforms.

Gold embroideries are elaborated as a deconstructed adaptation of marine dress trimmings, providing graphical metrical textures. A two middle finger artwork that stands as the 11 gang sign is printed and perforated as a classic positional graphic.

As every season the fabric research is deep and accurate, a feature on Japanese denim and indigo dyed fabrics, a mixture from extra light to rigid fabrics with an emphasis on contrasted textures.

Collaborations leaded by the bag collection with the german producer Ortlieb and the caps by the well known headwear brand New Era.

as a person that lives in east LA, but not that far east and someone that grew up in SD county w/ a bunch of cholos I really don't think this is capturing an inkling of that at all. Offensive ? needless to say, childish? yes yes yes, an embarrassment to rational thought and an insult to everyone involved? I would say most definitely.
    maybe drop the concept and just do what u do, sell to young white health goths who don't know any better.

Comment

• julian_doe
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
      as a person that lives in east LA, but not that far east and someone that grew up in SD county w/ a bunch of cholos I really don't think this is capturing an inkling of that at all. Offensive ? needless to say, childish? yes yes yes, an embarrassment to rational thought and an insult to everyone involved? I would say most definitely.
      maybe drop the concept and just do what u do, sell to young white health goths who don't know any better.
      Honestly, I totally agree. It is one thing to be influenced by a culture/subculture and another to try and recreate that subculture's style in a marketable way (which is what I see here). For example, Boris has always been influenced by middle eastern culture, and in previous collections (SS 11), this influence was noticeable in a beautiful and organic manner, as he almost showed respect and appreciation for the culture in every garment. It wasn't something THIS blatant and poorly represented. Boris is one of my favorite designers, but the 11 line is something I have a hard time taking seriously. :/
      Last edited by julian_doe; 07-09-2015, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• scanner
        • Mar 2015

Agreed.. this is just sad and i'm a little surprised to see so much push from SZ on this. And people say Hedi is lazy? I would say Rick did the cholo thing best (and much more tastefully).

Comment

• Bleu1950
          • Jan 2013

hope they tone down the flamoyant element and create trully a solid lounge/ tech/ sport line that everyone will love.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by scanner View Post
            Agreed.. this is just sad and i'm a little surprised to see so much push from SZ on this. And people say Hedi is lazy? I would say Rick did the cholo thing best (and much more tastefully).
            A) We bring you the news from respected designers and leave to you to judge.

B) The clothes are much better IRL taken apart. This look book is not well done.

C) How the fuck is this lazy?! Why are you even bringing Hedi up here? What, you see literal interpretations of existing cholo clothes here? Please point them out.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
              • Apr 2011

Can someone actually articulate why using the term cholo here is offensive? I'm smelling tumblr tears from 3,000 miles away right now.

For what it's worth I think it's a misappropriation at worst considering the clothes aren't evoking much of a cholo flavor. If he'd called Chav Battalion I don't think anyone would say shit.

Comment

• unwashed
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                don't forget this...

CHOLO BATTALION
                SS16 / CAMPAIGN
                11BYBBS stares at the “Cholo” gangs attitude and aesthetic, alongside a focus on the marine imaginary to develop the SS16 collection.

blablabla....
                At first I thought you were being creatively funny and made this up yourself. Then I went to the 11byBBS website....
                Grailed link

Comment

• DudleyGray
                  • Jul 2013

Without the high socks and Nikes, would you guys really see any cholo culture at all? Take that and the cholo explanation away, and it looks to me like a streetwear interpretation of mainline (go figure). I can't imagine any 11 fans are really indignant about this.
                  bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• darkbydesign
                    • Sep 2010

Wait........ There are actually BBS 11 fans? :)

Comment

• Law
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                      Wait........ There are actually BBS 11 fans? :)
                      BBS 11, it's a commitment for life.

Comment

• clay
                        • Sep 2006

What, no Crokasaks? Epic fail!

Comment

• MajesticMap
                          • Nov 2011

fashion write-ups in general are unbearable. this is definitely one of the more absurd ones.

" Gold embroideries are elaborated as a deconstructed adaptation of marine dress trimmings, providing graphical metrical textures. A two middle finger artwork that stands as the 11 gang sign is printed and perforated as a classic positional graphic." Ugh, i'm sure something is lost in translation but this is beyond clunky. if you're not going to get a good writer to interpret your shit, leave the fancy words out and simplify that shit!

"Holes are a common thread throughout the collection as an analogy to bullet holes textures,"... just... i don't know, just stop. i get that fashion tries to be edgy and stuff and yeah i love BBS's tumblr as much as the next post-90s hip hop/MRR ink-stained fingertips asshole, but come on, don't glorify violence without telling us what your interpretation of the violence is. like, is it just the bullet holes or the systemic wave of neo-colonial oppression that the bullet holes represent that we're talking about here? if it's just an aesthetic, then it's a really, really gross one. at this point, i'm over cultural appropriation. You can't get any further from east L.A. gang culture than some moronic high fashion clothing line no one's going to care about.

that said it's a shame too b/c that insanely long shirt and the chino-y, joggers-y looking pants are flat out ill.
                          is that make sense to ya'll?!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎