Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BrokenBoards
    • Jan 2014

ian+ read these articles for a look into the lunacy.

Billionaire Haute Couture Collector

The Couture Club
    "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• Ahimsa
      Vegan Police
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
      Thanks, those $$$ mentioned in Ahimsa's post are unbelievable
      ian+, I work with what is essentially a non-official couture house, demi-couture. Clients range from wife's of some of the richest silicon valley businessmen, to saudi princesses, to old wealth, celebrity, etc. What these people want is what their friends don't have, and what no one else can get.
      For instance, someone will see something they love, and want it in a fabric we have, and then pay for it to never to be produced in that fabric for anyone else (stores, private clients, etc.). They might even buy out the entire fabric to have any look they want made from it. (these are typically single rolls of fabric of our own design)
      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Law
        • Dec 2013

It's interesting that couture is now veering into the path of "profitable", as historically that's never been the case. Since in the past couture was nothing more than PR/Media mechanism to generate hype to translate into sales for the brands supporting lines.

Comment

• Law
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
          ian+
          For instance, someone will see something they love, and want it in a fabric we have, and then pay for it to never to be produced in that fabric for anyone else (stores, private clients, etc.). They might even buy out the entire fabric to have any look they want made from it.
          Interesting. Can they enforce that exclusivity?

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

We just make up an absurd number, put it on paper and they pay it, of course.
            (there are times of sneakily doing it for customers across the country that we know they'll never run into)
            Last edited by Ahimsa; 07-29-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Law View Post
              It's interesting that couture is now veering into the path of "profitable", as historically that's never been the case. Since in the past couture was nothing more than PR/Media mechanism to generate hype to translate into sales for the brands supporting lines.
              It's profitable if you don't do $5 mil shows twice a year.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• acebrotura
                • Jul 2015

As democratized as fashion has become in the last century, haute couture and its still very apparent successes is always a fascinating window into how the top of the top live, huh.

Interestingly enough too, YSL's foray back into couture again seems kind of like they're meaning to do it on their own terms by simply just deciding to avoid couture shows and having Hedi pick out who wears it case by case.

Why start this now though?

Comment

• ian+
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BrokenBoards View Post
                  ian+ read these articles for a look into the lunacy.

Billionaire Haute Couture Collector

The Couture Club
                  thanks

ian+, I work with what is essentially a non-official couture house, demi-couture. Clients range from wife's of some of the richest silicon valley businessmen, to saudi princesses, to old wealth, celebrity, etc. What these people want is what their friends don't have, and what no one else can get.
                  For instance, someone will see something they love, and want it in a fabric we have, and then pay for it to never to be produced in that fabric for anyone else (stores, private clients, etc.). They might even buy out the entire fabric to have any look they want made from it. (these are typically single rolls of fabric of our own design)
                  I should have known better, thanks for the insight. I mistakenly connected couture pieces with red carpet appearances where people (actors etc.) are paid to wear them.
                  ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• MaxM
                    • Sep 2009

Couture is getting pretty profitable (make note of how many looks Dior had in it's couture this season). It's basically just overly embellished RTW for those with extra $$$.

"Raf Simons' debut haute couture collection for the fashion house prompted a 24 per cent rise in comparison to 2011's figures, with total sales for the year equating to €1.24 billion (£1.07 billion)."-Vogue

"First-half revenue for Christian Dior Couture was 854 million euros, up 13% at actual exchange rates and 11% at constant exchange rates compared with the same period in 2013" (for first half 2014 as of Dec) -Bloomberg

Only makes sense for YSL to get in on that action.
                    FYI

Christian Dior Couture is the legal name of the company and it's not at all limited to Haute Couture. It also includes RTW, leather goods, accessories, jewelry etc ...

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MaxM View Post
                      FYI

Christian Dior Couture is the legal name of the company and it's not at all limited to Haute Couture. It also includes RTW, leather goods, accessories, jewelry etc ...
                      I made no such claims as to say otherwise.

Haute Couture is, undeniably, quite profitable for Dior under Raf Simons.

To make myself sound redundant:

" A look at the figures for the nine-month period from July 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014 underscores very positive results following the appointment of Raf Simons as the head of Christian Dior Couture. For this period, the Christian Dior group recorded revenue of $31.9 billion, representing growth of 3% compared to the period from July 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013. Of this, $1.5 billion was derived from its couture collection, which reported a 14% increase in growth (+19% organic). In the 3rd quarter alone (the period from January to March 2014), sales from Christian Dior Couture amounted to $497 million, a figure up 13% compared to the previous year (+17% organic)." - The Fashion Law

"The Simons effect at Dior sent couture sales soaring by 14% to £601m in the last six months of 2013. This, in turn, has boosted the ready-to-wear side of the business." - The Guardian

Comment

• MaxM
                        • Sep 2009

I made no such claims as to say otherwise.

Haute Couture is, undeniably, quite profitable for Dior under Raf Simons.

To make myself sound redundant:

" A look at the figures for the nine-month period from July 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014 underscores very positive results following the appointment of Raf Simons as the head of Christian Dior Couture. For this period, the Christian Dior group recorded revenue of $31.9 billion, representing growth of 3% compared to the period from July 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013. Of this, $1.5 billion was derived from its couture collection, which reported a 14% increase in growth (+19% organic). In the 3rd quarter alone (the period from January to March 2014), sales from Christian Dior Couture amounted to $497 million, a figure up 13% compared to the previous year (+17% organic)." - The Fashion Law

"The Simons effect at Dior sent couture sales soaring by 14% to £601m in the last six months of 2013. This, in turn, has boosted the ready-to-wear side of the business." - The Guardian
                        This is what i was pointing out, I'm pretty sure this is not only couture sales

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• Law
                          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by MaxM View Post
                          This is what i was pointing out, I'm pretty sure this is not only couture sales
                          I agree, even 601 Million sounds excessive for sales, with such a tiny exclusive niche market to support it. Then again these aren't the traditional couture garments of the Galliano era and yesteryear, from a wearability stand point and from cost production stand point. Not out of the realms of possibility that Rafs dialed down "minimalism" has played a part all round in new found increased sales.

Comment

• BSR
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            OMFG, is there no limit to his egomania? Only those approved by Slimane himself will be able to buy it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/29/fa...d=nytcore-ipad
                            i don't see any ego issue here but the use of a very reliable and classic strategy in the luxury market to maintain the brand's attraction power over the clients of the RTW (i.e. to keep the distance between the brand and its followers). fashion and luxury are essentially elitist... in every way: there are those who look good in designers' clothes and the others, those who access the showroom and those who do not, those who are invited to the parties and those who are only welcomed to the stores, etc etc
                            pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                            Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Mattiassa
                              • Dec 2014

Will there be couture show and will C Horyn be invited?

Comment

• Law
                                • Dec 2013

"Have Creative Directors Become Bigger Than the Brands They Work For?"

“This is horrifying. YSL is rolling in his grave,” remarked one Style.com commenter, and she was not alone, as the French designer had his typical polarizing effect on fans and consumers. Slimane is representative of this new mode of designer – one who brings with them a host of devout fans, but also manages to inspire the fiercest of criticism from those who believe they are dismantling the legacy of their house’s founder under the guise of modernization.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎