Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKUTSU_MAYA
    • Jun 2014

Exclusive: Hedi Slimane On Saint Laurent’s Rebirth, His Relationship With Yves & the Importance of Music

From the moment Hedi Slimane took the creative reins at Saint Laurent in March 2012, his every move has been talked about, tweeted about, and discussed, dissected, and debated. His supporters have hailed the way he has brought a revitalized allure and skyrocketing growth (revenues have doubled during his tenure and sales were up 27% for the second quarter of 2015) to the famous Paris fashion house. His critics, on the other hand, continue to be scandalized by the way he has injected an aesthetic influenced by musical and youth subcultures into Yves Saint Laurent’s legacy (even though youth and freedom were essential elements of Yves’ own work in the sixties).

Until now, though, one voice has been missing from the discussion: that of Slimane himself. Notoriously press shy, he has given less than a handful of interviews since he started at Saint Laurent, and even those have been guarded. Now, as he prepares to reintroduce couture to the house along with a breathtaking new Paris headquarters for the fitting rooms and ateliers, he is ready to break his silence. In this interview, conducted over email, he talks candidly and in great detail about his strategy for Saint Laurent, his quest to bring an extraordinary level of authenticity to his clothes, and his relationship with his critics.

He also opens up for the first time about his personal life: his love for Yves and Pierre Berge, the original founders of the house now owned by the Kering group, his attachment to L.A., his sense of being an outsider, the enduring influence of his seamstress mother, his religious faith, and the homophobia and bullying he faced during his youth.

It’s no exaggeration to say that, in his three and a half years at Saint Laurent, Slimane has completely shaken up the fashion industry, and his clothes and his methods have been copied wholesale by many other designers. This is how he did it.

Let’s start with your latest initiative: You are reintroducing couture to Saint Laurent. Why did you feel this was the right moment?

I was simply waiting for the garden of the Couture House to be completed.

It took six additional months. The project was in fact ready for about a year, but I was only able to shoot the first couture campaign after the last men’s show. I had this precise idea in mind from really the beginning in 2012, and it took all those years to have all the elements ready, the House, the Ateliers, the team, and of course the Ready-to-Wear in place. The “Yves Saint Laurent” couture label prototypes were created in 2012, next to the “Saint Laurent” ready to wear labels.

continue reading here:

https://www.yahoo.com/style/exclusiv...446645943.html

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I read this pile of steaming bullshit - the so-called "interview" - 3 questions by email. It wasn't worth posting.

Not trying to shoot the messenger - I'm sure you meant well, but this is total garbage, just like everything Hedi does. The emperor has no clothes.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BSR
        • Aug 2008

the part on bergé is so wtfesque

"Pierre has always been who I look up to, to give me the courage, the strength I need, and I have constantly in mind the values and principles that I have learned from him. He is certainly a fatherly figure for me, a commanding authority. There is absolutely no one like him, and there will never be anyone else as far as I am concerned.

The most beautiful thing about Pierre and Yves is of course the idea that their House was born out of love, the origin of the successful dynamic between the creative mind, and the business mind."

bergé is probably one of the worst human beings of the fashion world and parisian elite socity, which is not a small thing.

but i don't share faust's view, hedi is doing a fantastic job business-wise, and in my view all these big houses are only about buisiness. so it's not garbage at all, the way he talks about branding makes complete sense and can be a lesson to wannabe marketers in luxury. don't expect creation / avant-garde stuff or anything like that from saint laurent and the likes.
        pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
        Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• syed
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          I read this pile of steaming bullshit - the so-called "interview" - 3 questions by email. It wasn't worth posting.
          Click "read more" at the bottom for the rest, it's a lot longer. Still an infuriating read though.
          "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

Wow, I couldn't disagree more with the above responses. Of course it's a very formal and calculated interview (via email) but damn I'm blown away by his intelligence, precision, and eloquence.
            music

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

I don't disagree with you casem, but something grosses me out about him. He's smart and eloquent and talented, but his character turns me off, and I don't even hate SLP. His focus on achieving "authenticity," his culture vulture-ness, it's just that he's such a hipster for lack of a better term.

I like the part about bodies though, that was 'real.'
              Last edited by DudleyGray; 08-13-2015, 03:25 PM.
              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post

but i don't share faust's view, hedi is doing a fantastic job business-wise, and in my view all these big houses are only about buisiness. so it's not garbage at all, the way he talks about branding makes complete sense and can be a lesson to wannabe marketers in luxury. don't expect creation / avant-garde stuff or anything like that from saint laurent and the likes.
                It can be done without producing luxury Topshop. What irks me is that this hack is treated like god. He's the epitome of everything that's wrong with fashion. The emperor has no clothes.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by casem View Post
                  Wow, I couldn't disagree more with the above responses. Of course it's a very formal and calculated interview (via email) but damn I'm blown away by his intelligence, precision, and eloquence.
                  That text is so impersonal and soulless that it sounds like a press release, which is what it probably is rather than a personal interview. Hence why I'll echo the horseshit call.
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

A MUCH BETTER ARTICLE

It’s the legendary French fashion house that produced some of the defining looks of the 20th century. But does its new direction dishonour the memory of its great founder, asks Alexander Fury

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MJRH
                      • Nov 2006

Haha, yeowch!!

I have further issues with much of this being presented in Saint Laurent's name. "It pains me physically to see a woman victimised, rendered pathetic, by fashion," said Saint Laurent in the introduction to the 1983 Met retrospective catalogue. I can't help think of that when considering Slimane's work.
                      ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                        • May 2014

couture adding insult to injury...

I am confused since the article from the independent mentions couture is no longer profitable yet some of you mention here that in the past years it has become a noticeable way to boost revenue...Are we talking about how couture shows influence brand image?

Also funny how Hedi mentions Bergé is like a father to him when the article quotes Pierre saying:

"It is all a question of money and marketing. We never talk about talent – it's not the point. We only talk about sales. Yves Saint Laurent would have hated that."

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by PurpleJesuss View Post
                          couture adding insult to injury...

I am confused since the article from the independent mentions couture is no longer profitable yet some of you mention here that in the past years it has become a noticeable way to boost revenue...Are we talking about how couture shows influence brand image?

Also funny how Hedi mentions Bergé is like a father to him when the article quotes Pierre saying:

Of course Berge is like a father to him, but some of you guys are too young to know...........but when you are older....
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• PurpleJesuss
                            • May 2014

rive gauche woops

Comment

• aussy
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              a response article

Comment

• Law
                                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by aussy View Post
                                What a load of sycophantic drivel, wouldn't be surprised if it had been ghost written by Hedi's PR team. The entire puff piece was basically a superfluous and desperate abject lesson in deflection, attempting to draw parallels between YSL and Hedi, like they were some kind of kindred spirits. The problem with her argument is she's adding 2+2 and getting 5. The salient point which is seemingly lost on her, is that YSL was genuinely innovating, pioneering and rebelling against the standard conventions and status quo of the time, where as current Hedi is the current status quo, which he's continuing to feed with his glorified H&M and "Kurt has been pinned on my heart shaped mood board for weeks" styling.

At no point in the article did it actually make any mention of you know....the clothes themselves
                                Last edited by Law; 08-18-2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎