X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FutureLust
    • Aug 2015

Cyberpunk, the future, wearables and implants

I'm curious how many people on these forums are into cyberpunk, or even transhumanists. For me , cyberpunk has been something that strongly influenced my desire to wear alternative clothing. I wanted to adopt a personal style that reflected my interests and my mindset. I also enjoy incorporating goth, punk and hip hop influences. One of the things I like about goth is that is so strongly alternative, white at the same time loosely defined in terms of rules to the look. It can make a bold statement , and be dark while at the same time by stylish if done well. This creates a lot of freedom in my eyes in terms of the look. Those cultures also encourage DIY experimentation, which will become even more exciting as technology becomes more open to the public(3D printers, later cutters etc). I enjoy conventional fashion, but at the same time conventional fashion can be limiting, especially for men. When you look at the shapes that are used in conventional male fashion, it is largely similar to me.

When it comes to cyberpunk - and future fashion, I enjoy the experimentation of different fabrics and fabric blends. I like to see boundaries being pushed in both function and fashion(which is why I like brands such as acronym, stone island shadow and arc'teryx. I'm also liking a lot of y-3 shoes(plan on getting a pair soon). I also like the fact that the internet allows us so much more acces to both designers and individuals when it comes to clothes

Finally, It is interesting to see many technologies of cyberpunk become a reality. We are entering the age of Virtual Reality with the Vive and Oculus rift, while microsoft is pushing AR with Hololens. Wearables have become the norm and Google's project Jacquard is pushing wearables even further. Implants aren't far off, as google is working towards bionic lenses and loreal is working on 3d printed skin for cosmetics. The future will be interesting for sure! Would be interesting to hear your thoughts
    Last edited by FutureLust; 08-02-2015, 07:41 PM.
  • BrokenBoards
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by FutureLust View Post
    One of the things I like about goth is that is so strongly alternative, white at the same time loosely defined in terms of rules to the look.

This should be interesting....
    "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• FutureLust
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by BrokenBoards View Post

This should be interesting....
      lol made me laugh. Although I'm not white

Comment

• BrokenBoards
        • Jan 2014

If you want to get some dialogue going, it might behoove you to focus your points so that they aren't one giant stream of consciousness run on sentence simply stating what you like 40 times.

I won't refute that there is the occasional spillover influence from the Cyberpunk side of things in a handful of the designers here and we can pick this apart pretty easily. But there's a difference between what Tatsuro Horikawa does and some of the borderline cosplay stylings of a brand like Demobaza.
        "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• shisou
          • Sep 2014

not too sure why i am even joining this discussion but....

cyberpunk, transhumanism, future, technology + goth??!!

granted, i don't know exactly what definition of "goth" you are using, but the ethos/attitude/values/aesthetic i have always thought were commonly associated with this style/subculture (and even my quick check of Wikipedia's "Gothic Fashion" entry adds 'authoritative' support to this) are, to appropriate a famous title rather recklessly, 'human, all too human'.

i would think, but perhaps am wrong, that goth tends to look back, kinda like the romantics turned to the middle ages in the face of modernity, rather than to the future and its images of wearable nanotech and becoming-cyborg...

Comment

• Glennphilips
            Banned
            • Dec 2022

Shock absorbers are available in a variety of sizes, brands, and styles to fit any bike. They range in price from a few dollars to hundreds of dollars, depending on the quality and features of the shock absorbers. https://shocksguide.com/best-heavy-d...ks-for-towing/

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎