• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Tim Blanks leaves style.com for Business of Fashion

Plus other changes. BoF is becoming quite a powerhouse.

Tim Blanks Joins the Industry Website The Business of Fashion

Fashion’s never-ending game of musical chairs, a nonstop roundelay of personnel moves, tends to confine itself to those who create, rather than observe, fashion. Designers shuffle; those who file into the stands season after season to see their shows, less so.
    But when New York Fashion Week begins in September, there will be familiar faces in new seats. The Business of Fashion, the wonkish website (also known as BoF) that began as a Typepad blog and has grown into an industry resource, is adding a handful of staff members, including one very high-profile new hire: Tim Blanks, the editor at large for Style.com since 2006, who will be joining the London-based BoF as editor at large this month.

continue... http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/06/fa...hion.html?_r=0
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • ProfMonnitoff
    • Jan 2007

Interesting move, it will be interesting to see if he keeps writing show reviews or will move more towards the kind of editorial content that BoF is already known for. I really like the niche BoF has carved out for themselves, I read their articles more than any other fashion press. Hopefully their attempt to branch out more will not dilute this. Either way Mr Blanks is a great hire, he write some of the best reviews out there and his breadth of cultural knowledge is always impressive.
    Originally posted by jogu
    i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

He will definitely continue reviews.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BrokenBoards
        • Jan 2014

I subconsciously stopped reading a lot of style.com's reviews when they were written by anyone other than Blanks. Happy to see him moving on. I don't think switching to an e-commerce platform in a grossly over-saturated market is going to save style.com either and with WWD constantly waning, BoF and NOWFASHION have plenty of room to take over.
        "I would use lard if it came in a pretty bottle."

Comment

• scalawag
          • Aug 2015

My biggest hope is that Blanks can inject some life into BoF. It's way too sterile at the moment and a lot of their content is tough to digest as a digital publication. That's also why their current reader engagement is what it is.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by scalawag View Post
            My biggest hope is that Blanks can inject some life into BoF. It's way too sterile at the moment and a lot of their content is tough to digest as a digital publication. That's also why their current reader engagement is what it is.
            Can you elaborate? It seems to be doing just fine. It's become a go-to publication that everyone in the industry ingests with their morning coffee, including myself (I also contribute occasionally). I get the sterile comment - it seems that BoF is now steering clear of more controversial stories, but I am also curious about the highlighted part.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
              • Jan 2007

Now that this new BoF has been around for a while, I can safely say that I hate it. The entire reason why BoF was good was that they were not trying to be a catchall, instead doing a small number of things very well. Now, they've given up on that.

I used to be excited to get their email digest, now I delete it without even opening it because I know it's going to be way more than I have time to read, plus a million links to off-site articles that I don't care about.

I liked just about everything that BoF has done in the past, but I'm very disappointed with how this has turned out.

(this has nothing to do with Mr Blanks' reviews, they're good as ever, he just happens to be a small part of the changes happening to BoF)
              Originally posted by jogu
              i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I think it is quite clear that they want to replace the WWD and others as the go to publication for fashion - something you consumer with your morning coffee. I would rather read Tim's review on there than on style.com, since the only reason for me to have gone on that website was Tim's reviews.

(Disclaimer, I occasionally contribute to BoF on freelance basis).

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Vanna
                  • May 2008

His review of Saint Laurent was awesome. Lol
                  Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Vanna View Post
                    His review of Saint Laurent was awesome. Lol
                    Yes As a reviewer, I can tell you that it's best when you get over your anger at being subjected to imbecility and just have fun.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎