X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PUCK
    • Feb 2016

wanted to add on the topic of "holy grail" type vehicles

This is my ultimate "wanted" vehicle, a pantera, this version as tuned by mooneyes japan, 666HP monster. Words can't describe the lust I love the idea of it, it was supposed to be an american competitor for the early mid-engined italian super cars, and was pretty much a failure, and they are being rebuilt into serious muscle cars, that are aggressively tuned and built for people who love to drive.

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by PUCK View Post
      well, I've got options for both of those as well, if you aren't after the genuine article, there are a few super talented craftsmen that can work magic.

For the Daytona, you can go directly to shelby, and for around 200K they will build one for you, genuine spec, or for about 75k more you can get it in polished aluminum mmmmmmmmmmmmm....

For the SL you probably can't get a true replica since mercedes cracked down super hard on that, but IMHO something that's pretty damned cool, also full aluminum bodied, scratch built, and not a replica, more inspired by the original, however I can't seem to find the link.

In terms of bike builds, I'm not talking a cafe'd swap, I mean a full custom job, though if you are building yourself, that's great brother,

In terms of the Vincents, coventry spares is a great resource, but for a full build Egli-Vincent is your resource, 2 year waiting list last I heard,

http://egli-vincent.net/01-the-early...ent-1967-1974/
      Thanks for the link. I have read about the Egli Vincent (along with a number of other producers)... HOW original has been something I've wrestled with for a while especially with the Daytona and the Shelby Cobra as well. The only vehicle that I would probably feel okay getting a replica would be the Cobra considering that the original was still a pieced together design with the AC shell on top of a built frame and a Windsor 351 side oiler shoved in there. Building one yourself seems not unreasonable in still keeping with the history of the car.

I've looked into the replica Speedsters and Daytona (didn't know that Shelby would build you one out in Vegas to-order), but there would be something inauthentic about at least the speedster. Granted most are built on VW frames and it is pretty much the same aircooled 4 cyl. engine as was used in the Karmann Ghia/beetle etc. but authenticity is authenticity. Granted the price difference is beyond dramatic and I am not in a position to purchase one anytime soon, but I think I'd go for the real deal if/when that time ever came. Doing a fair amount of the restoration personally would be enjoyable as well.

Thankfully a '65 fastback 2+2 can be had pretty much fully restored for $25-40k. A true work of art.

For bikes, having someone else build you one can be nice (and expensive), but bikes are something that one can realistically do themselves. Granted if you want to do a custom frame, you'll need the knowhow and have a prebuilt jig for alignment, but otherwise, not so difficult that one can't wrap their head around it. Here are a couple of photos of mine:

I recall seeing original Vincent Comets available for $20-30k when they come up for sale. Not so unreasonable. That being said, I am not familiar with the maintenance on these guys. It would certainly be fun to literally assemble one from all the parts from Coventry... I know they did this a number of years ago as a proof of concept to show that they indeed have ALL the parts needed to fix Vincents.
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• yubbermax
        • Jun 2014

My "realistic" garage consists of a BMW E30, mid 2000s Subaru WRX sti hatch and a 70's-80's Honda CBR bike. Very attainable and almost practical.

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by yubbermax View Post
          My "realistic" garage consists of a BMW E30, mid 2000s Subaru WRX sti hatch and a 70's-80's Honda CBR bike. Very attainable and almost practical.
          Cool, nice minimal selection
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• PUCK
            • Feb 2016

Chinorlz, agreed on the home built for bikes, I've done a few also, I just had ideas I wasn't capable of doing myself, and wound up needing to have someone help in that department.

With the Daytona, there's really no other way you can get your hands on them, even if you had a "skys the limit" budget, there were only a handful, just like the original gt40 et al. Plus if Shelby builds it, that's sort of original? ;)

Yubber, that sounds like a nice selection, though you may want to save the cash you'd spend on those two, and get the best of both worlds when BMW drops the AWD M cars in a year or so, the 3 should be about the same as picking up the two you mentioned.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by PUCK View Post
              Chinorlz, agreed on the home built for bikes, I've done a few also, I just had ideas I wasn't capable of doing myself, and wound up needing to have someone help in that department.

With the Daytona, there's really no other way you can get your hands on them, even if you had a "skys the limit" budget, there were only a handful, just like the original gt40 et al. Plus if Shelby builds it, that's sort of original? ;)

Yubber, that sounds like a nice selection, though you may want to save the cash you'd spend on those two, and get the best of both worlds when BMW drops the AWD M cars in a year or so, the 3 should be about the same as picking up the two you mentioned.
              yes with the Daytona no way to get a real-real original. If you did, you'd never drive it anyways. I was thinking more of the Shelby version versus FF/Superperformance/ShellValley. I still have a Shelby Cobra serial plate that Carroll signed that I would love to put into whatever Shelby vehicle I end up building/buying first.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• PUCK
                • Feb 2016

That's some professional level visualization, I have a lot to learn.

If you pick it up please give me a call I'll come to wherever it is to sit shotgun!

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                  For bikes, having someone else build you one can be nice (and expensive), but bikes are something that one can realistically do themselves.
                  You knew I'd have to post this, right?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• khiev
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                    well we are on our way back to ugly and stupid with the emissions regulations, self driving cars and the slow death of naturally aspirated engines.
                    Of course cars are now safer, but technology is slowly taking the fun out of driving.

Spoken like a true purist.

Not sure about car design suffering from the decline of n/a engines and increasing emissions regulations... only that it forces manufacturers towards an electric future and with it the death of the automobile as a purely utilitarian transport toward that of a living room entertainment system on wheels... yeah that sucks... as if we needed more blue lights blasting our faces (digital dashboards are already a step too far imo, bentley gets it right)

That said, I see automotive design being in a new golden age. For instance, while not really my style, Koenigsegg and Pagani are hipster safe, competent and ardent artisanal hypercar makers, and they are only just getting started. God really is in the details with their cars. Porsche e-mission is the nicest electronic car design I've ever seen... and Mercedes, Hyundai, Peugeot, etc are all stepping up their game in terms of design. Compact cars have never looked better. The McLaren P1 proved the addition of an electronic engine and a turbocharged engine can surpass an analog experience... and it's important to look at the top, because unlike trickle down economics, the top end stuff can make its way to everyday cars.. camless engines (to come), carbon fiber, etc... all good stuff..

But yeah we'll never get the ferrari 250swb, lamborghini miura, or the etype again... Just like cdiem, those days are long gone (talking purely aesthetic wise of course) :(
                    I still think there are a few bright spots- The few equivalents of bbs, geoffrey b small, etc in the automotive world are Porsche singer, Eagle E-type, Koenigsegg and Pagani... not too shabby already...

I do find it interesting that the automotive world design being quite distinct from intellectual movements in architecture, art, and literature... The early 20th was defined was modernism (Alvar Aalto, Louis Kahn...), 60-70s by post modernism (Carlo Scapa, Anselm Kiefer, the zero movement), 80s by deconstruction...
                    hard to say about a singular intellectual movement that defined the 2000s onward except the rise of pluralism in design and the perhaps the study science and technology replacing philosophy on the great human questions.. and I quite enjoy this pluralistic world of design (more variety, more inclusive, etc..) and find it quite complimentary to car design who so relies on technological advancement to create new forms and drivetrains.

Comment

• PUCK
                      • Feb 2016

Khiev, love where you are coming from in terms of comparing artisanal brands in clothing and vehicle manufacturing.

I'd add these to the list, in case anyone is interested.

Morgan, Wiesmann, Lucra, Ginetta, Superformance, Falcon, there are more but these are the ones that come to mind immediately.

In the good ole days, you even had "atelier" style auto design, like Bertone, and Pininfarina, though that type of service is astronomically expensive today.

In terms of keeping the spirit of driving alive, I keep the faith, I try to with all things I love, that others love as well, the passionate one's will keep it alive, Zam taking a performance driving class like he mentioned is proof that there is still life blood in racing and passionate drivers.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by khiev View Post
                        Spoken like a true purist.

Not sure about car design suffering from the decline of n/a engines and increasing emissions regulations... only that it forces manufacturers towards an electric future and with it the death of the automobile as a purely utilitarian transport toward that of a living room entertainment system on wheels... yeah that sucks... as if we needed more blue lights blasting our faces (digital dashboards are already a step too far imo, bentley gets it right)

That said, I see automotive design being in a new golden age. For instance, while not really my style, Koenigsegg and Pagani are hipster safe, competent and ardent artisanal hypercar makers, and they are only just getting started. God really is in the details with their cars. Porsche e-mission is the nicest electronic car design I've ever seen... and Mercedes, Hyundai, Peugeot, etc are all stepping up their game in terms of design. Compact cars have never looked better. The McLaren P1 proved the addition of an electronic engine and a turbocharged engine can surpass an analog experience... and it's important to look at the top, because unlike trickle down economics, the top end stuff can make its way to everyday cars.. camless engines (to come), carbon fiber, etc... all good stuff..

But yeah we'll never get the ferrari 250swb, lamborghini miura, or the etype again... Just like cdiem, those days are long gone (talking purely aesthetic wise of course) :(
                        I still think there are a few bright spots- The few equivalents of bbs, geoffrey b small, etc in the automotive world are Porsche singer, Eagle E-type, Koenigsegg and Pagani... not too shabby already...

I do find it interesting that the automotive world design being quite distinct from intellectual movements in architecture, art, and literature... The early 20th was defined was modernism (Alvar Aalto, Louis Kahn...), 60-70s by post modernism (Carlo Scapa, Anselm Kiefer, the zero movement), 80s by deconstruction...
                        hard to say about a singular intellectual movement that defined the 2000s onward except the rise of pluralism in design and the perhaps the study science and technology replacing philosophy on the great human questions.. and I quite enjoy this pluralistic world of design (more variety, more inclusive, etc..) and find it quite complimentary to car design who so relies on technological advancement to create new forms and drivetrains.

Great post and happy to see you posting a bit here and there again!

Faust, yes I should have expected it ;) I still need to read that book!

You're definitely right Khiev that there are still a number of companies out there producing great designs and matching that with serious performance... details inside and out and every tiny component manufactured to spec and even in-house. I also really like the comparisons made to some clothing design houses and can see plenty of parallels as well.

I definitely love looking at the newest supercars along with some of the custom/microproduction/tuner work that companies such as Houston-based Hennessey racing are doing. Some serious cars coming out of that small warehouse even in the midst of the controversies that surround them. The Venom that they make is a monster.

I do wish that these cars could be more affordable. I feel like back in the 40s-60s, cars were certainly luxuries, but the expectation of customization and the vehicle being an extension of oneself and their aesthetic was there as well. From the late 20s to 40s, there were those design houses that literally made the chassis to order for your vehicle. Every car looked different. It must have been incredible to see these all on the road.

With the safety regulations that increased from 60s on through 70s and 80s I end up seeing some designs and signature details of various cars having to be set aside/sacrificed to keep to these. Granted they keep people alive, but from a pure design perspective a real tragedy.

The Koenigseggs, Ferraris, Paganis and others will have to keep the distinct design spirit alive, and for the forseeable future, I'll just have to admire then from afar ;)

Comment

• PUCK
                          • Feb 2016

Chinorlz,

I'm sure this isn't news for you as you are definitely a gear head, but maybe a reminder, checkout your area for local car clubs, or co-ops, many owners are very friendly with folks who share their passion, and I've had the opportunity to drive plenty of unobtanium because of such folks.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

This is true... I met up a few times with the local Porsche group, but my schedule just doesn't allow for much of these things at this point in time... thank you for the reminder though as it may be something I pick back up down the line!

Comment

• 550BC
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Funny, I found out about him exactly two days ago. Was talking to a prominent photographer who was considering ordering one (provided his wife does not kill him first).

BTW, we have a dedicated motorcycle thread.
                              I envy him. His prices are quite fair. Been considering to order one myself and use it as my motivation to get a motorcycle license. (which I've been postponing for 3 years now) Wish I lived in Cali instead of Europe though..

Will use the right thread from now on.

PUCK, thanks for the link. good stuff
                              a fish out of water dies

Comment

• PUCK
                                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by 550BC View Post
                                I envy him. His prices are quite fair. Been considering to order one myself and use it as my motivation to get a motorcycle license. (which I've been postponing for 3 years now) Wish I lived in Cali instead of Europe though..

Will use the right thread from now on.

PUCK, thanks for the link. good stuff
                                Get the license, 10 years from now you will wonder why you ever questioned it ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎