• Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Vetements Women's SS16 - Paris

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

This was excellent, especially the second part of the show. Kind of went under the SZ radar.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

I would like someone to articulate why they find it excellent, and what is the "pull" of this brand.

I see he Margiela references etc, and i hear a lot about the brand among lovers of alternative fashion with an intellectual bent, but so far to me I haven't seen the kind of brilliance that would convince me

I am willing to give a fair hearing.......
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Ahimsa
        Vegan Police
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        This was excellent, especially the second part of the show. Kind of went under the SZ radar.
        The soundtrack is really good too.

Zam, I think the obvious appeal (as you mentioned) is that it's a hark back to older Margiela, coupled with the current 90's obsession we're seeing with pop-culture, has brewed into a perfect storm for this brand to take root.

My personal attraction is the oversized sleeves, and the how simple every piece is with that little extra something. There's something glorious about how off-putting the garments seem yet how wonderful they drape and fit.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

It is very hype indeed...

Why it is well-liked:

-Harkens back to the anti-fashion aesthetic. Jeans are vintage looking, looks aren't too polished, pieces are Margiela-deconstructed, proportions are awkward, styling is eclectic.

-Still manages to reference the main fashion cool things of the moment: Skate/Trasher/streetwear/Gosha aesthetic, 90s musicians, leather pants in 70s colours, LGBT subcultures.

-Classic wardrobe staples (trenches being the best example) still make it easy to integrate.

Overall it is popular because fashion people currently dislike "fashion" as an aesthetic and discourse but they still cannot completely step out of it as they wouldn't look cool. Hence Vêtements.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

WHAT? YOUR BUDDY, GOSHA, OPENED THE SHOW, FUUMA!!! Talk about hype...

On a serious note, I agree that there is a certain amount of hype around it.

Why I like it is that it is indeed very Marginal and quite anti-fashion. It's an antidote to the vulgarity of Balmain/Moschino/Saint-Laurent, etc. that has permeated fashion. I am not sold on it quite yet and I though the last season was a failure, but this was great, especially the second part.

Some favorites:

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fredokin
              • Apr 2014

While I do kind of like the silhouettes and outerwear, I wish they'd do away with the branding. Shit's mad corny.
              Originally posted by gregor
              it's terribly lit

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I agree. It's definitely counter-Margiela, if we are to keep with the same motif.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

It's already posted in the fashion media section, but I thought it worth bringing up here too:
                  Demna Gvasalia, Vetements' creative director, was just named the new creative director of Balenciaga.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
                    It's already posted in the fashion media section, but I thought it worth bringing up here too:
                    Demna Gvasalia, Vetements' creative director, was just named the new creative director of Balenciaga.
                    Speaking of hype...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• tjhalvy
                      • Apr 2015

Speaking of hype...
                      saw that this am... will be interesting to see if he takes it in a different direction from Alexander Wang.

Comment

• Vanna
                        • May 2008

Implying that Wang had any direction at all at Balenciaga is being kind.
                        Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Law
                          • Dec 2013

Explains a lot:

Previously, Gvasalia, 34, worked behind the scenes at Margiela for eight years (while Mr. Martin Margiela was still at the house), as well as at Louis Vuitton, where he took up the role of senior designer of women’s ready-to-wear collections for a short period before launching Vetements. Agnès Barret, a recruiter who worked with Mr. Martin Margiela, has referred to Gvasalia as Mr. Margiela’s “spiritual son.”

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Law View Post
                            Explains a lot:
                            I think everyone involved in Vêtements had something to do with Margiela...
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Arkady
                              • Apr 2011

Why I like it is that it is indeed very Marginal
                              NAILED IT

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢