• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Unlimited Edition

I wrote a short article on how the nature of clothing production has changed from seasonal items to greatest hits. I hope there is food for thought there.

UNLIMITED EDITION

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • gregor
    • Oct 2014

good read.

i also think of lines like comme evergreen when thinking of the phenomenon. i don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, as staples are important, but by a similar token, designers should know when to just bury something already, which i think a lot of them often don't.

that thumbnail of the geos and slp bikers does fit the content, but man does it hurt to look at...

Comment

• NOHSAD
      • Nov 2014

Thank you for the Article Faust.

While it's great certain items can be available each season as it becomes staple pieces, they're not as unique as they once were and it opens the doors for various consumers who styles them badly . Exact items such as Geobaskets and Biker Jeans, they don't have the wow factor for me nowadays because it feels over saturated in men's fashion (the knockoffs, Fast Fashion "Inspired" versions and collaborations (most recent, Balmain X H&M)).
      "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Oh, yeah. I am not saying it's good or bad, just underscoring the phenomenon.

Frankly, though, what you describe does not really bother me. I mean, I cringe when I see it, but it's not a thorn in my side.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ronin
          Banned
          • Dec 2009

Thanks for the article. I don't know if you meant it this way, but I like how it shows the two sides of the coin. Of course, re-issuing the same items year after year can seem like an easy way to keep cashing in on a commercial success, but it also is an interesting way to counter the ever-accelerating pace of the fashion system. I think this kind of recurrent production is relevant and perfectly justified when it comes to well-designed items that embody the universe of a designer, garments strong and whole enough that they don't need the rest of the collection to make sense, yet won't be out of place in the collections to come - the kind of garments someone could, indeed, make their uniform. But when it comes to easily identified gimmicks (the infamous case of the feisty dog being a prime example), the same behaviour appears in a completely different light, coming off as lazy and uninspired, reminiscent of blockbuster franchises.

Now, I value the "one shot" factor in the collection system (seasonal or not), especially in small series. From another angle, I believe one needs to confront new ideas and possibilities relentlssely in order to remain pertinent. (Besides, hunting down specific garments clearly adds to their desirability - there's nothing quite like the serendipity of stumbling upon a coveted item in my favourite consignment store when I least expect it.) I don't mind "unlimited editions" at all when they're appropriate, if only for their convenient nature; I find the word pretty scary though, suggesting the possibility of infinite occurences of a same item, dissociating the idea of the item and its incarnation (including everything it took for it to materialize - fabric, production etc.)

I'm wondering whether this growing trend is also a side-effect of the increasing number of designers/brands - sticking to your core items as a way to strenghten your identity and differentiate from the sea of potential lookalikes. Then again it only makes it easier for budding labels and hungry corporations alike to try and copy your trademark style.
          Last edited by ronin; 10-27-2015, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Yep, you got it right

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SafetyKat
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ronin View Post
              (Besides, hunting down specific garments clearly adds to their desirability - there's nothing quite like the serendipity of stumbling upon a coveted item in my favourite consignment store when I least expect it.).
              I can relate to that feeling, that search is like an adventure to me, my wild safari hunt but as soon as I aquire said garment I want it to be next to impossible to find again for the next searching fashion person. Thats the human condition I suppose. We want to have our Geobaskets and Ill be damned if we dont want to boil and eat them too.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎