• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Alber Elbaz to leave Lanvin

A friend texted me this morning that Alber was getting fired by Madame Wong.

WWD was on the case:

"PARIS — Alber Elbaz — whose soigné, draped designs catapulted Lanvin to become a top Paris fashion house — is to exit the company after a stellar 14-year tenure, WWD has learned.

An announcement is expected in the coming days.

While the parties are likely to characterize the development as by mutual agreement, sources said the rupture came following disagreements between the charismatic Israeli designer and company principals: owner Shaw-Lan Wang and chief executive officer Michèle Huiban.

It is understood members of his design team were informed of his exit this morning, and all employees at Lanvin were summoned to a meeting this afternoon in Paris.

Lanvin officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Sources said Elbaz already emptied his office on the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré."

More here:

The designer spent 14 years at the Paris house, and catapulted its reputation into the spotlight.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

No way !

Comment

• CAD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by galia View Post
      No way !
      wow! never say never...

Comment

• ronin
        Banned
        • Dec 2009

Yes, it's all over the fashion news by now (WWD, Vogue, NY Mag etc). Now, I definitely didn't see that one coming...

From the articles, it would seem he ended his letter by "I wish the house of Lanvin the future it deserves among the best French luxury brands.". I don't know whether it was intentional, but I like how equivocal it sounds. You reap what you sow...

Comment

• galia
          • Jun 2009

Oh that 's definitely a diss. Good one!

Comment

• Law
            • Dec 2013

A quote from the Vogue article:

The Lanvin split comes on the heels of Raf Simons’s abrupt departure from Dior, and has already set off speculation that Elbaz could be headed to the LVMH label.
            What are peoples thoughts on that if it were to happen?

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Law View Post

Was discussing this today. It would make perfect sense for him to head Dior. And coming from Lanvin there are no ties to any conglomerate.

Still waiting for someone to dig up Theyskens from whatever hole he's hiding in.
              StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• zamb
                • Nov 2006

Aesthetically and talent wise he would be a better fit at Dior than Raf.
                but does he want that heavy burden?
                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Law
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                  but does he want that heavy burden?
                  I think in this case that's a rhetorical question, as I think practically any designer would take the job if offered, regardless of whether it's seemingly a poisoned chalice, since obviously to the majority of designers the Dior job is the "holy grail". I don't think Elbaz would be any different personally.

I think he'd be a good fit, as my girlfriend just said "he's very romantic".

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

I think in this case that's a rhetorical question, as I think practically any designer would take the job if offered, regardless of whether it's seemingly a poisoned chalice, since obviously to the majority of designers the Dior job is the "holy grail". I don't think Elbaz would be any different personally.

I think he'd be a good fit, as my girlfriend just said "he's very romantic".
                    I dont know him, I can only judge from a distance, but i think a house like Lanvin is more suited to him, rather than a house like Dior

he is a Clothes first designer, rather than a "lifestyle brand" designer
                    He worked at Geoffrey Beene, Guy Laroche and did a stint at the now defunct Krizia Top.

all of those were smaller houses that allowed him some amount of freedom and privacy in a way Dior wont.

For a house like Dior it isnt about who would jump at the opportunity to take the job, its also about who would be a good fit.

Aesthetically Alber is perfect. I just dont know about the other aspects

Comment

• ES3K
                      • Oct 2008

He already looked troubled at the last Lanvin show. Makes sense now.

I still see him as the only one who could take over Chanel. His sense for colors, materials and flowing silhouettes would do the house good. And bags with patches and tweed costumes can be handled by the back team.
                      (yeah I know that Karl is immortal and will more likely become CD at Dior too than to quit Chanel).

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

well
                        the employees are MAD// Crass// Miserable

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Would be incredible. I disagree, Zamb. Alber MADE Lanvin. He's very much a lifestyle designer. There are basically only three jobs at top level - Chanel, LVMH, and Dior. With the artisan talent he'd have behind him at Dior he can do magic.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            Would be incredible. I disagree, Zamb. Alber MADE Lanvin. He's very much a lifestyle designer. There are basically only three jobs at top level - Chanel, LVMH, and Dior. With the artisan talent he'd have behind him at Dior he can do magic.
                            I think you misunderstand what i mean
                            of course he made Lanvin, there was pretty much nothing before he started.
                            what I mean is that for him the Clothing themselves was more a priority than the IT bag or the or some other Cash cow type accessory.
                            he is a DESIGNER (of clothing) first and not some instagram, mood board type.

Comment

• Law
                              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                              Interesting. This sounds more like a knee jerk dismissal, rather than a thought out calculated decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎