X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Pretty good article here:
    Alber Elbaz Leaving Lanvin as Fashion’s Slippery Slope Claims Another Designer

This plus Faust's article had me thinking, it's not so much that the fashion system is broken as this is the new way of business in every sector. Those of us in academia know too well the shift from long term marriages (professorships) to short term underpaid contract work (adjunct). Basically everyone gets screwed except the people at the top who can keep refreshing their brand as needed without having to commit to giving a director longterm creative license. I agree with Friedman's assesment that the product and design suffers when the designer doesn't have the commitment or stability to build a design vocabulary with a brand. Just like teaching suffers in academia when adjuncts know they are nothing more than a hired mercenary who may or may not be coming back the next semester.

"That is, the current situation in which brands treat designers as “work for hire” — stewards that set a course for a style ship for a time, but who can be replaced as necessary while the ship itself sails on — and its inevitable corollary: that designers start to see themselves the same way. The result transforms the relationship from that of a marriage, where you pledge to love and care for each other through sickness and in health, into a dispassionate contract-to-contract arrangement."
    Last edited by casem; 10-30-2015, 12:08 AM.
    music

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

I enjoyed this:

"Why do people covet Chanel or Comme des Garçons? The brands send a consistent message about what they are and what they stand for. If you are going to invest, you invest in that. Even if you don’t like a collection or a season, you can’t deny the purity of the message. All these changes means fashion doesn’t feel pure any more.
      [...]
      When designers leave, by choice or not, the value proposition becomes broken. No one needs a new bag, or a fancy dress; they desire them because of what they represent.
      [...]
      Without that — the seduction and sentiment, the promise of transformation — it’s just stuff. And really, who wants that?"
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by zamb View Post
        I think you misunderstand what i mean
        of course he made Lanvin, there was pretty much nothing before he started.
        what I mean is that for him the Clothing themselves was more a priority than the IT bag or the or some other Cash cow type accessory.
        he is a DESIGNER (of clothing) first and not some instagram, mood board type.
        Ah, I got you. All good
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
          • Dec 2013

As star names quit Lanvin and Christian Dior, is the business model of six high-profile collections a year sustainable?

What this future may hold is unclear but parting ways with Elbaz suggests the house, founded by Jeanne Lanvin in 1889 and revived by Elbaz’s appointment in 2001, is responding to slowing growth and searching for another direction. It is thought that additional investment is necessary and Wang’s hard bargaining to get the right amount of cash injection had caused a rift between her and Elbaz, a designer who was much adored for his feminine but wearable clothes, as well as his own trademark look of bow tie and glasses. The protests by those in the Lanvin atelier after his dismissal showed how well-liked he is.

Comment

• Law
            • Dec 2013

Sacking Alber Elbaz could cost Lanvin £28 million

Lawyers are also trying to ban staff members from discussing the dismissal using the company’s email

Lawyers are also trying to ban staff members from discussing the dismissal using the company’s email

Comment

• Law
              • Dec 2013

Lanvin & Alber Elbaz: The story of a break up

Comment

• Law
                • Dec 2013

Fashion wants Alber Elbaz to start his own line.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Yes, yes we do.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ES3K
                    • Oct 2008

There's some rumour that Stefano Pilati (Ex-YSL, now ex-Zegna) will take over Elbaz' place at Lanvin.

Comment

• Law
                      • Dec 2013

Looks like Bouchara Jarrar is set to take over from Alber.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎