• Show
Clear All
  • scanner
    • Mar 2015

the fashion film to end all films -

Comment

• Law
      • Dec 2013

There are quite a few gems and classics within Nick Knights Showstudio archive: https://www.youtube.com/user/SHOWstudio

Some of the Ruth Hogbens collaborations with Gareth Pugh are pretty rad. Alas seems we're straying off topic. Perhaps this should have its own thread?

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Law View Post
        What do you think these fashion videos are missing, from a content stand point?
        I think it's just not a good medium. I have watched tons of fashion films, certainly all the big ones as well as many others, and have not yet seen one that has led me to change my opinion. They all feel dishonest.

To be honest I think even most Nick Knight films, despite being astonishing in terms of the talent that goes into making them, are not very interesting to watch.

Fashion is not just about clothes but also, perhaps more importantly, about people. SZ tends to revolt against that idea a bit, but I think our issue on here is more with the wrong sort of people, not people as a whole. But anyway, clothing is of no value until it is worn by a real person. So making films about clothes is missing the point completely. And those fashion films that try to build up a character/personality to hide the fact that it's just a glorified clothing advertisement, anyone can see right through that. People can smell bullshit from a mile away. And there's no good reason to do that sort of fashion film when there is already a runway show.

The low hanging fruit here is those terrible fashion films where it's just a guy walking through a set piece in the clothes, along with some fetishistic close-up shots. Those obviously suck. But even the fashion films that try to take it further than that miss the mark IMO.

I think the idea of an editorial but with movement has some merit, however there hasn't been a truly successful example of this yet.

While I don't like it when music gets too much inspiration from high fashion, music videos are nonetheless better fashion films than 'real' fashion films will ever be because at least they have a person in them that we are already familiar with, and their primary purpose is something other than the clothing. Likewise a movie with good styling is a better fashion film, because the clothes are being worn by well written characters, not some foil of a human invented by a fashion person. The films that are memorable for their good styling are also just good films, because if the characters and narrative isn't good then all the styling in the world is meaningless.

(I couldn't quite find the right words to express my thoughts here, but the draft has been sitting in a tab for two days now so I decided to post it anyway. Hopefully someone understands what I mean.)
        Originally posted by jogu
        i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Bump for new (and old) members.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jurassicsnark
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by delayedReaction View Post
            [*]Travel 190 days in a hotel this year/130k butt-in-seat domestic miles. I don't trust hotel laundry with anything unique or that requires special instructions. Rather selfishly, I'd love for someone to do a capsule collection in travel friendly fabrics (merino wool?) that can stand being sent out for laundry, pieces that folds down to a compact size to avoid checking luggage, stuff you can sink wash and hang dry in 20 minutes, etc. As it stands, I have a lot of black/gray/white athleisure/techwear stuff from startups for traveling.
            Yeah, this is me, too... I love variety, but I practically live in a suitcase (already 100k+ airmiles this year), and things just have to work together and be easy to care for. I am actually seriously contemplating designing my own capsule wardrobe and having it made, and this is a big part of why.

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Well, I think this thread is as relevant today as when it was started.
              with the closing of VB, again, the closing of several major stores like Colette, along with the rise of a very ugly and empty kind of fashion. Where are we?

I dont mind ugly, but empty i cannot stand
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

We are where we always were - mostly mindless consumerism, some thoughtful work. Seems like the degrees perhaps have shifted though, or maybe it's just the social media exposure that make it seem that way.

What has undoubtedly changed - or rather has been taken to a next level - is the continuing, relentless casualisation of fashion. Sweatpants and leggings are the new jeans. It's fugly, but what can you do.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SafetyKat
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  What has undoubtedly changed - or rather has been taken to a next level - is the continuing, relentless casualisation of fashion. Sweatpants and leggings are the new jeans. It's fugly, but what can you do.
                  I think you're right that social media just creates more exposure for a phenomenon that has been around for a long while. I think what's different though is the strategies of fashion houses trying to cash in on the phenomenon as it matures and the increasing normalization of thanks to its 24/7 exposure.

Plain text graphic tee (Usually with a mainstream fashion house or artist), leggings, and the latest celeb shoe collab. Rinse and repeat. Who needs to invest in style when a cheap reference holds comparable sign value to the real thing in their social circle?

Comment

• byhand
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post

I was called to jury duty recently and was astonished at the number of people who showed up wearing sweatpants, t-shirts and hoodies. I also recently attended a funeral and was surprised to see a number of adults dressed for casual Friday.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by byhand View Post
                      I was called to jury duty recently and was astonished at the number of people who showed up wearing sweatpants, t-shirts and hoodies. I also recently attended a funeral and was surprised to see a number of adults dressed for casual Friday.
                      Shit's depressing. I am sure there will be pushback at some point. Or not...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• goldsamxo
                        • Jan 2017

When I went to court, most of the people there were in t-shirts & denim (the people on trial). I had a minor offense (speeding ticket) but I was still in button-up, tie & slacks; and I was the one getting the weird looks. In areas where I'm from (south Jersey - aka the slums); makes me question what kind of change can be made?
                        Originally Posted by Latoya Sizemore View Post

It would be great if one cane wear little bit loose T-shirts with some great prints like marijuana leaves, cannabis, weeds etc.
                        Most of the youngsters will like to wear fashionable and chill clothing, which give a great looks to youngsters.

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

Just saw this discussion on fashion films. I'm trying to get into doing music for films and ads after scoring a few spots for a friend making fashion ads for a start up line. I gotta agree, most of what's out there is bad (and the music is bad). Too often they are full of cliches and empty gestures attempting to invoke something artistic without any meaning behind it.

That said, if anyone knows good fashion film makers, send them my way and I'd be happy to send them a portfolio!

I did enjoy this prada ad and the music is well done.

Originally posted by aussy View Post
                          The best I can come up with as qualifications for a good fashion 'film' with an understanding that they're all marketing ploys:

1) The video is not just an extended commercial (wtf is the point) and adds value, other than financial, to the brand
                          2) At the same time, the products themselves must not be so divorced from the production that the viewer forgets that it was the brand, the clothing and their interest in fashion that presumably drew them to the video in the first place
                          3) Finally, the clothes must make sense in the context of the video, which kind of relates to the first two standards

Nearly every fashion flick fails. Models treated like dolls in modern houses and cryptic conversation. Dancers with hardly any clothes moving in the name of what exactly? A Disneyrific seven minute long narrative featuring Pharrell, a song AND a number, what more could I ask for? Seriously, what the fuck is the point? Why are these still being made? Obviously I'm not their target audience, but does anyone watch these hair clumps of media and take away anything? I'd love to be in that focus group.

Those that do are probably the same people who like and comment on instagram ads.
                          music

Comment

• Nickefuge
                            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by casem View Post
                            That said, if anyone knows good fashion film makers, send them my way and I'd be happy to send them a portfolio!

I liked the new Gucci clip, because it’s so devoid of (artificial) meaning.
                            That’s way better than trying to work in some kind of philosophy to justify it.
                            "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                            -Paris Hilton

Comment

• nvsnli
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by goldsamxo View Post
                              When I went to court, most of the people there were in t-shirts & denim (the people on trial). I had a minor offense (speeding ticket) but I was still in button-up, tie & slacks; and I was the one getting the weird looks. In areas where I'm from (south Jersey - aka the slums); makes me question what kind of change can be made?
                              Same here when i was in court. Even the lawyers were dressed like they were used car salesmen or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎