X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • curiouscharles
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by casem View Post
    True, but isn't this terrible for business? If the show alienates the customer base they may not even bother to look in store to see if there's anything good. The show should make you look forward to what's going to be in stores (rather than praying that it doesn't look like the runway) otherwise what's the point?

Concerning gris, I've found it to be a really disappointing line. It's like CDG Homme Deux, really boring business stuff but with a terrible boxy cut. Ann did volume really well in her mainline, but the cut of gris just looks like some cheap stuff from Macy's. I dunno, I bought a shirt on sale for about $200 from gris and when i got it home I realized it basically looks like something from urban outfitters so I took it back the next day.
    Couldn't agree more, re: grise & its previously rather plain persona.

I'm not sure whether Rafael has only recently taken over design duties for the line, or if he had only recently decided to take the line in a different direction. But, he was very clear with me that he is focusing on classic Ann cuts, silhouettes, & designs - materializing in a sort of collection blanche "lite" at a much lower price point than the mainline.

The basic suiting and shirting which I previously so strictly associated with the line was still there, so it's hard for me to know whether that was always the focus, or whether buyers who picked it up were to blame for what we saw.

Either way, it's far from a boring "tailoring" line anymore - as my time spent playing excited dress up with it in the showroom will attest to.

-

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

True, but isn't this terrible for business? If the show alienates the customer base they may not even bother to look in store to see if there's anything good. The show should make you look forward to what's going to be in stores (rather than praying that it doesn't look like the runway) otherwise what's the point?

Concerning gris, I've found it to be a really disappointing line. It's like CDG Homme Deux, really boring business stuff but with a terrible boxy cut. Ann did volume really well in her mainline, but the cut of gris just looks like some cheap stuff from Macy's. I dunno, I bought a shirt on sale for about $200 from gris and when i got it home I realized it basically looks like something from urban outfitters so I took it back the next day.
      Wait for my Fashion ramblings - their rationale will be revealed
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
        • Sep 2006

Thanks for the info curiouscharles, sounds good. Since Ann has such a rich and distinct vocabulary, it makes much more sense for grise to be a "classics" line rather than a watered down diffusion line.

Looking forward Faust!
        music

Comment

• Mattiassa
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by naturalalmonds View Post
          Buffalo plaid?!
          But she's done plaid before, just stumbled over this:

https://www.grailed.com/listings/382...-flannel-shirt

Comment

• naturalalmonds
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Mattiassa View Post
            But she's done plaid before, just stumbled over this:

https://www.grailed.com/listings/382...-flannel-shirt
            Well my comment was specifically about buffalo plaid (red/black, like a lumberjack shirt). Anyways, I have no idea what season that shirt is from
            I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• Cantara
              • Mar 2015

I understand that he wants to show his own vision but this is just getting bad now... really bad. He should just start his own line separate from Anns name.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                • Jan 2008

Thanks for the info curiouscharles, sounds good. Since Ann has such a rich and distinct vocabulary, it makes much more sense for grise to be a "classics" line rather than a watered down diffusion line.

Looking forward Faust!
                yeah it's quite exciting for such a fan of the classics as me [also i've always been jealous of blanche for this very reason].

honeslty i 100% ignored the grise section of the showroom the last two seasons, mostly due to its previous direction, and partly due to its separate / rather strict minimums [which now don't exist, woo!].

-

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

One solution is to turn Gris into Blanche. If only they would listen to me!
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• curiouscharles
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    One solution is to turn Gris into Blanche. If only they would listen to me!
                    haha, i make this comment a lot as well.

[honestly, i slip as many "gimme men's blanche" comments into each appointment as i can]

-

Comment

• C.R.E.A.M
                      • Feb 2015

Before FW16 mens happened, i was really ok with what sebastien was doing. It took him a few collections to find a balance between his own style and the heritage of Ann and i think he was doing ok. Less poetic and more sexual sure, but having ANN DEMEULEMEESTER written on a tag wasnt a complete nonsense.

But now...if this is the direction is taking for the brand it will be without me. Like Glenn Martens with Y/PROJECT, its very difficult to watch.

After all i understand that the people who took over the brand want change, but i'm really curious about what were the last words left by Yohan for his brand, and of course those of Ann.

Comment

• naturalalmonds
                        • Sep 2013

What was that about the showroom again? If you as a buyer have to edit a collection until it resembles nothing like the runway, what's the point? What are you holding onto there by ignoring much of what they're doing? That doesn't really embody the label in any meaningful way. So at what point do you decide to drop them, because all you're doing now is clinging to shreds of what used to be...
                        I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• AVerdantShore
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by C.R.E.A.M View Post
                          Before FW16 mens happened, i was really ok with what sebastien was doing. It took him a few collections to find a balance between his own style and the heritage of Ann and i think he was doing ok. Less poetic and more sexual sure, but having ANN DEMEULEMEESTER written on a tag wasnt a complete nonsense.

But now...if this is the direction is taking for the brand it will be without me. Like Glenn Martens with Y/PROJECT, its very difficult to watch.

After all i understand that the people who took over the brand want change, but i'm really curious about what were the last words left by Yohan for his brand, and of course those of Ann.
                          I've already made a few statements to this effect, but I feel very much the same way, about both of these collections, in particular, not having invested much interest in Margiela over the years, for whatever reasons.

Comment

• sroreilly
                            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by naturalalmonds View Post
                            What was that about the showroom again? If you as a buyer have to edit a collection until it resembles nothing like the runway, what's the point? What are you holding onto there by ignoring much of what they're doing? That doesn't really embody the label in any meaningful way. So at what point do you decide to drop them, because all you're doing now is clinging to shreds of what used to be...
                            I have to disagree with this. Buyers are selecting individual garments that will be hung from racks in stores; the stylists will be ultimately be the consumers. The clothes are the clothes.

Comment

• akkeri
                              • Jul 2012

Just hideous, truly. I started looking for a saving grace but gave up. This makes me very sad.

Comment

• clay
                                • Sep 2006

Buffalo plaid, Mohair, Human hair, and terrible colors from 70's . I hate this.
                                However the black in the showroom Faust mentioned, should keep it moving.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎