Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Northwest Thread

Default Pacific Northwest Thread

starting a thread to discuss the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, etc.).

to kick things off, any recommendations for food in Portland?

Lots of options in Portland. Probably my current favorite that also provides the quintessential PDX food experience is Ned Ludd. Other good options (at least in the NE are) Bollywood Theater, Tasty and sons, and Sweedeedee. Cup & Bar has good coffee.

cheers Sargon, Tasty & Sons sounds like my sort of place for brunch!

some places I've enjoyed eating at since moving to Seattle.

Brunch
    Mollusk
    Porkchop & Co
    Portage Bay
    Stateside (dinner was disappointing but brunch was very solid, get the charcoal waffles)
    Super Six
    Toulouse Petit

Lunch/Dinner
    Marination Ma Kai (more for the view and patio than anything else)
    Tamarind Tree

Ramen
    Jinya
    Kukai

Booze
    Fremont Brewing

Oh for brunch there is also muscadinepdx which I have been going to as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by dji View Post
    cheers Sargon, Tasty & Sons sounds like my sort of place for brunch!

some places I've enjoyed eating at since moving to Seattle.

Brunch
    Mollusk
    Porkchop & Co
    Portage Bay
    Stateside (dinner was disappointing but brunch was very solid, get the charcoal waffles)
    Super Six
    Toulouse Petit

Lunch/Dinner
    Marination Ma Kai (more for the view and patio than anything else)
    Tamarind Tree

Ramen
    Jinya
    Kukai

Booze
    Fremont Brewing

Booze
    Fremont Brewing
    second this

long is also great, food and design wise.

Thanks dji for starting this thread! I was hoping someone would make one sometime soon...

Living in Portland and here are my food lists. (On top of the good ones from sargon97)

Quick and Easy
    -Boxer Ramen
    -Urban Farmer (Happy Hour)
    -Luc Lac

Dinner
    -Mucca
    -Beast
    -The Mend

This are just some of my favorites, but I think PDX is a pretty good food city.

Fremont Brewing
    Quote Originally Posted by gregor View Post
    second this
    I 3rd this, fremont brewing is good, have a future relative that works there.

Went to Stateside once for lunch and liked it a lot. Also try Revel, if you haven't, for "Korean fusion."

thanks for the tips guys.

ilurkaround I was pretty underwhelmed by Revel and Rachel Yang's other restaurant Joule, maybe I was there on off days though.

BBADS: Coffee Edition is probably the single best local beer I've had since moving here, fantastic stuff but it'll hit you.

any advice on Vancouver BC? looks like I'll be holed up there for about a week in early March..

lemme chime in on Vancouver:

Ramen
    Jinya
    there's many here as well, very good too.

Cheap/Quick/Streetfood
    Japadog
    ChewyPeppers
    Meat and Bread
    Wakwak Burger (formerly Burger 2.85)

Local Booze
    Brassneck (food truck outside after 5:30 wed-sat)
    Storm
    Postmark/Urban Winery (Belgard kitchen attached is good too)
    Liberty Distillery
    Artisan Sake Maker

Food
    Alibi Room
    Tandoori Fusion (they deliver)
    L'abattoir
    Medina (brunch, busy, plan to wait a bit for a table)
    Devils Elbow
    Chambar (brunch + dinner)
    Gyu-Kaku
    Toshi Sushi (will wait a while)

yet to find any good coffee here, maybe someone else can point me in the right spot?

Wild, never knew there were other Portland people on here.

Coffee
    Courier Coffee

Food Cart
    Carte Blanche
    El Nutri Taco

Restaurant
    Luce
    Little Bird
    Ox
    Biwa
    Cafe Castagna

Easy Quick Food
    Spielman's Bagels (see me almost here every day)
    Nong's
    Roman Candle

Local's tip
    HA VL Soup
    (If you must try Pok Pok, go to "Pok Pok Noi" as there's almost never a wait)

Ice Cream
    Don't bother with Salt & Straw line, go to Fifty Licks instead. Much better

Quote Originally Posted by absintheparty View Post
    lemme chime in on Vancouver:

yet to find any good coffee here, maybe someone else can point me in the right spot?
    Given your list, I'm assuming you've been to some of the standard places. Is there something specific you're looking for or are you just not a fan of the style here?

L'abattoir's a good recommendation. Go sit at the bar during happy hour (5:30 - 6:30), and you can eat through the entire first half of the menu for half price. Wine and cocktail specials, too, which are usually extremely good for Vancouver. Cocktail program is still very strong even after Shaun's departure.

The Alibi Room is also essential if you're a beer drinker, though I've always found the food to be completely forgettable. I'm always tempted to say the same about Chambar (go for the bar program and forget the food, especially at those prices), but that's a much more controversial opinion.

Other places in the area I like for cocktails:

Bambudda
    The Diamond
    Notturno
    Pidgin
    Keefer Bar
    Wildebeest
    Juniper
    Campagnolo Upstairs (great burger, but they sell out really quickly these days)

Scout's 25 is a pretty decent list to look through when it comes to restaurants. It's not perfect, and it leaves out all of the "ethnic" places that make Vancouver great (go to Chowhound for that), but if you're interested in more contemporary dining, Scout does a pretty good job of covering what's out there. Standouts for me on the current list: Annalena, Bao Bei, Blue Water, Burdock (when they're on their game), Cinara, La Quercia, Vij's, Farmer's Apprentice (when they're on their game).
    Last edited by Analytic Philosopher; 02-14-2016 at 02:20 PM.

great rundown everyone!

thinking of staying at Opus unless someone has better recommendations for hotels in downtown Vancouver. any shopping worthwhile? considering driving up to the Arc'teryx factory store while there, do they carry much Veilance?

was at Fremont again today, [codename] S.T.O.U.T. w/ Coffee, Cacao, and Oak is a very solid milk stout that's only available on draft at the brewery. highly recommended.

I second Meat & Bread and Gyu-Kaku for Vancouver.

I recommend the various Guu locations around Vancouver, each one has its own unique theme and serves a slightly different menu.

Shopping-wise, I think you might be pretty disappointed.

A Nordstrom opened recently downtown, but the selection of brands they carry is subpar to the Nordstroms in the states.

Roden Gray in downtown carries brands like Nanamica and Thom Browne.

Neighbour, also in downtown, carries brands like Acne, Sunspel and Stephen Schneider.

If you dare wander into Richmond, Kokko in Aberdeen Mall carries brands like _7, RO and Guidi.

cheers hausofblaq, is the Simons in West Vancouver worth the drive?

Couldn't answer that for you, I actually haven't been there myself because it opened in October and I'm over in Ontario for school from Sept - April every year.

Other members could probably chime in, but the drive itself to where Simons is located is less than a 20 min drive from downtown Vancouver, if traffic is light.

Quote Originally Posted by hausofblaq View Post
    Other members could probably chime in, but the drive itself to where Simons is located is less than a 20 min drive from downtown Vancouver, if traffic is light.
    it's van, traffic is never light

i still think it's worth it though, honestly, it is quite a good location, definitely better than a lot of the eastern and prairie locations. kokko, as well, is worth the skytrain down there, as they really do have quite a surprising amount of stock, even for more obscure brands like aleksandr manamis (whom i quite like), but the prices are, well, fitting for the clientele (rich asians in richmond have a lot of money).

as for hotels, dji i really do recommend the shangri-la, similar price (i think?) and i'm really quite a sucker for a good view, which most of the rooms have there.

thanks gregor, I'll be driving in from Seattle anyway so I'll have a car so should be convenient enough to visit both stores.

I was considering the Shangri-La but felt it might be too stuffy, I generally try to avoid the Hyatt's, etc. that said the buffet at the Shangri-La in Manilla looked amazing so might be worth it just for breakfast.

ended up booking the Shangri-La, only 10% difference in price between it and the Opus so was kinda a no-brainer.

any ramen recommendations? I recall someone mentioning that Kintaro was good.

santouka is my personal fave when i'm home, but kintaro is super, super good, as well as a bit of a vancouver staple. you can't really go wrong with most of the ramen in the west end.

good choice on hotels, as well

^ beat me to it.

Most of the major ramen places are within a few blocks of each other, so you'll have a lot of options. Kintaro is good, but not my favorite. I prefer Santouka, especially since they have their toroniku, which is my favorite of the chashu options in town. Marutama (chicken based broth), if you want something a bit different, is also quite good, as is Danbo (Fukuoka style), which has become my go to as of late. I haven't been to Motomachi (next door to Kintaro) in quite a while, so can't really comment, though I remember liking it the last time I was there, for what's that worth. There's also an outpost of Jinya on the eastern end of Robson St., though that's probably not as enticing since you've already been to another outpost of it.