X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Law
    • Dec 2013

Balmain seeking buyer

Apparently Balmain are looking to sell up. Estimates value the company at around 300-400 million Euro, with their annual turn over at 30 million Euro. Frankly, I'm quite surprised, as I thought both would be considerably higher.

The heirs of Alain Hivelin, the late owner of Balmain, are looking to sell the French fashion house, according to market reports.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Yeah, I've read before that their turnover is 30 mil. 10x the annual revenue seems ok, no?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Yeah, I've read before that their turnover is 30 mil. 10x the annual revenue seems ok, no?
      No, I mean I'm more surprised with their annual turnover "only" being 30 million Euro per year. I would have thought that it would have been considerably higher than that, for a French "prestige" brand, as heavily marketed, celebrity associated and social media driven as they are. Rick by comparison is allegedly turning over closer to 4 times that amount.

Comment

• snafu
        • Apr 2008

Yes I agree i was shocked, I know Rick turns over more than five times that amount. Maybe Balmain licensed alot of things, i mean seriously alot of hair salons use their sea salt spray. I don't know the brand well but its still shockingly low considering the Kim Kanye connection.

Comment

• Law
          • Dec 2013

Figures in the original article are seemingly out of date, according to another older article on BOF:

The challenge now facing Diemoz, is converting the impact of Rousteing’s trailblazing use of social media platforms into commercial success. The Balmain business is, still, relatively small, with revenue of over €30 million in 2012, growing about 20 percent per year. What’s more, it was only a decade ago, in 2004, that the house faced bankruptcy.
          If those projections are correct, that would put them closer to between 50-60 million in annual turnover.

Comment

• snafu
            • Apr 2008

So what you think turnover is closer to €50-60? Still low for such a known french house.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

It makes sense. They've never made an it bag and their product assortment is rather narrow and repetitive. How many $1500 pairs of jeans can they sell?
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                It makes sense. They've never made an it bag and their product assortment is rather narrow and repetitive. How many $1500 pairs of jeans can they sell?
                Yes, nor have they ever released a heavy unit shifter fragrance.

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                  • Aug 2009

The thing is

Balmain's annual turnover might be only 30m€ because the licensing, production etc. is being run by others. The numbers are much bigger when you combine the results of shoes, women's & men's rtw and multiple sales-periods.
                  modern man

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎