Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mainstayer0
    • Sep 2015

Man y'all are just a bunch of haters. I predict this will be enormously successful and Demna stays on at Balenciaga until he leaves of his own accord. He is making clothes that younger people are going to respond to. He's the only major designer who is making clothes for this generation, and I suppose that's why the appeal is lost on most of you.

The reason the 90's are popular right now is because the people who were born in the 90's are coming of age right now. These looks aren't only rehashing 90's style, they are reinterpreting what kids are actually wearing out here today. Balenci bout to take Saint Laurent's crown as the de facto hype youth brand. Except, unlike Saint Laurent, these clothes are innovative, self-aware, and a little ironic.

Comment

• upsilonkng
      • May 2010

Originally posted by mainstayer0 View Post
      Man y'all are just a bunch of haters. I predict this will be enormously successful and Demna stays on at Balenciaga until he leaves of his own accord. He is making clothes that younger people are going to respond to. He's the only major designer who is making clothes for this generation, and I suppose that's why the appeal is lost on most of you.

The reason the 90's are popular right now is because the people who were born in the 90's are coming of age right now. These looks aren't only rehashing 90's style, they are reinterpreting what kids are actually wearing out here today. Balenci bout to take Saint Laurent's crown as the de facto hype youth brand. Except, unlike Saint Laurent, these clothes are innovative, self-aware, and a little ironic.
      says the person typing on their parents home computer...

Comment

• KodakII
        • Sep 2008

mainstayer0, are you sure? Honestly asking. This, in part, looks like a continuation of what Alexander Wang was doing. The opening jackets look like a Thierry Mugler experiment, which I can somewhat appreciate.

All of it looks very cumbersome and heavy. I can't say I was expecting much, so I'm not really let down. Maybe it's time to close the RTW side and focus on private clients.

Comment

• voltbird
          • Feb 2014

I find myself enjoying the prints and silhouettes more as the photographs progress, and the billowing black coat is actually gorgeous. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority read as "matronly" -- not actually an offense in and of itself, in my book -- but here it is just painfully dated.

If I am even slightly tempted to like the florals and loud prints, may I remind myself that these can and should be left to Dries van Noten, who does them far better.

Comment

• KodakII
            • Sep 2008

mainstayer0 thanks for the thoughtful response. I can understand many of the points your making; I think because the bar Ghesquiere set was so high, there are expectations people have of the house. Whether or not they will ever be met is questionable.

I can agree that there seems to be some interesting cutting and ideas here. I guess only time will tell how the the collections evolve.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mainstayer0 View Post
              Man y'all are just a bunch of haters.
              The last refuge of someone who has no real retort to offer.
              Can't wait to see you in modified secretary gear.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mainstayer0
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Can't wait to see you in modified secretary gear.
                If it comes in my size you'll be the first to know ;)

Comment

• david s
                  • Jul 2010

With Vetements, case in point, there is some beautiful footwear for women. Now who within the design collective came up with it, not sure. But there are some ideas in there worth exploring.

However also within the same collection there's the DHL T-shirt for $330...which just seems a lazy what the fuck.

Maybe the Balenciaga collection is supposed to be an exploration of jolie laide, a giant middle finger to the mainstream fashion establishment. But really who is going to buy these clothes. I'm sure the frump-core pieces at the beginning are going to clock in at the 3k plus range.

ha... @Law took the words out of my mouth
                  It's absolutely Hedious!
                  shy poser

Comment

• Law
                    • Dec 2013

And so it begins:

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Law View Post
                      I was cringing so hard that I had to stop in the middle. Cathy Horyn, for fuck's sake. I just hope that Angelo Flaccavento will at least not praise it.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Law
                        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        I was cringing so hard that I had to stop in the middle. Cathy Horyn, for fuck's sake. I just hope that Angelo Flaccavento will at least not praise it.
                        Not just Cathy Horyn, Tim Blanks too is on board the collective circle jerk train:

Demna Gvasalia's debut collection for Balenciaga had the rightness of something we’ve been waiting to see forever. And it immediately cast a giant shadow over the entire season.

Comment

• Mar 2009

This collection is beautiful and the answer to Balanciaga die-hards. It is a perfect wardrobe for them.
                          Sorry if your BBS-loving minds cannot comprehend it.

Comment

• stemcell
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Law View Post
                            which makes her look at worst deformed, at best pregnant or comically likes she's smuggling boxes out of Staples.

Everything is collapsing.
                            I died.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                              Vegan Police
                              • Sep 2011

Besides the beautiful necklines, this collection is rather ghastly.

Originally posted by *** View Post
                              This collection is beautiful and the answer to Balanciaga die-hards. It is a perfect wardrobe for them.
                              Sorry if your BBS-loving minds cannot comprehend it.
                              Well there is a sweater with thumbholes in this collection...
                              StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Law
                                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by *** View Post
                                and the answer to Balanciaga die-hards. It is a perfect wardrobe for them.
                                Qualify that statement. How can you assert that with such conviction, when this is such a new, radical departure from the standard Balenciaga, hence uncharted territory. Because of a superficial passing fad?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎