• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion: From Belgium But Far From Boring - 1992 Article

It's always nice to read old articles to see how things looked from the current perspective.

Fashion: From Belgium but far from boring - Roger Tredre profiles four Antwerp designers who are proving that you don't have to be French, Italian or British to create exciting fashion
    ROGER TREDRE Wednesday 1 July 1992

BELGIAN fashion in fashion. Sounds unlikely? Think again. Belgium's designers have been on the move in a big way for some years now. Through a combination of hard work and raw creative talent, they have forced their way on to the international stage.
    Once upon a time some young designers from the Royal Academy of Arts in Antwerp took their collections to London. Although they went more in hope than expectation, they made an instant impact. Within weeks the 'Antwerp Six' were being touted as the bright young things of European fashion.

That was in 1984. Eight years on, the Antwerp Six no longer exists as an identifiable grouping, but the impact of Belgian designers on avant-garde fashion has been marked. The Belgian designers were not one-season wonders. They hung around, matured, showed in Paris and sold their clothes to stores round the world.

From the viewpoint of 1992, we can begin to perceive their long-term significance: they were designers from the least hip country in Europe, and they breached the barriers of snobbery within the fashion industry. In the process, they proved that exciting fashion design was not the exclusive preserve of the French, Italians and British.

Dries Van Noten, one of the original six, points out with a wry smile that in the early days many US retailers did not know where Belgium was. Since the Belgian breakthrough, international fashion buyers have proved willing to throw their nets wide. Designers from Spain (Sybilla), Germany (Jil Sander), Austria (Helmut Lang) and even Sweden (Marcel Marongiu) are making names for themselves.

There are at least a dozen Belgian designers worthy of note, but the four pictured here are the ones with staying power: Ann Demeulemeester and Martin Margiela, both womenswear designers; Dirk Bikkembergs, a menswear designer; and Dries Van Noten, who designs for both sexes.

Only Margiela, who worked for Jean Paul Gaultier in Paris before going solo, has left Antwerp. The others love their city - for its mix of languages, nationalities and cultures.

Demeulemeester, a perfectionist, says: 'I am not influenced by other designers. I don't care about fashion - I just do what I want to do. In Antwerp there are no constraints. I have been able to start from zero, building up my own style.'

Bikkembergs, a tall, skinny workaholic, says: 'Antwerp is a lot more exciting than Milan. We are open to new ideas. The city has an international feel.'

Reasonably enough, the four designers do not like being lumped together. They have carved out their own niches, and go their own ways now (Margiela, who lives in Paris, has pushed this to extremes: he refuses to have his picture taken and is notoriously reluctant to talk about his clothes).

There are, however, some leitmotifs running through their collections and the way they think about fashion. All four share a common delight in playing with proportions and shapes.

Geert Bruloot, an Antwerp retailer who knows all the designers well, says that they are perfectionists, working like architects, constantly refining shapes. Demeulemeester will spend days working on the cut of a pair of trousers, or adjusting the hang of a jacket so that it sweeps long and low at the front.

Bruloot makes another astute point: that the Belgian designers share a common respect for tradition, for old fabrics and ways of working. Dries Van Noten, who comes from an old family of Flemish clothing manufacturers, works only with natural fabrics and has a suspicion of anything synthetic. There is something in him of the designer as artisan, building collections by meticulous attention to cut, fabric and the layering of clothes. Retailers agree he makes some of the best quality clothes in European fashion.

Even Martin Margiela, arguably the wildest of the four designers, has a very strong feeling for tradition. He deconstructs fashion, turns clothes inside out, messes about with seams and zips, but within a recognisable framework. Margiela is the one you will spot at the Clignancourt flea market in Paris, examining the old-fashioned linings of jackets, hunting through scraps of fabric for ideas.

All four dislike the idea of head-to- toe designer dressing. Van Noten explains: 'The 'total look' fashion of the Italians and Japanese is over. Fashion is about mixing nice shirts, sweaters and jackets in a way that suits your personality, not following the dictates of designers.'

Dirk Bikkembergs agrees. 'I would prefer to see men buying just one piece of my clothing, then mixing it with other clothes to create their own individual look. I don't want people to accuse me of making clothes for fashion victims.'

Bikkembergs' menswear has been hugely influential and much copied: his chunky boots, which prompted a boom in demand for big, butch footwear; his body-sculpted leather jackets; and his inventive knitwear, particularly high-necked, ribbed sweaters and pullovers.

Bikkembergs is renowned for staging spectacular fashion shows at the menswear collections in Paris, but he plans a more low-key approach for his next show, which opens the menswear collections in Paris tomorrow.

In recent seasons, Bikkembergs and his Antwerp colleagues have attained a new maturity. The signs are that their influence will grow, rather than diminish, during the Nineties.

British stores are responding by increasing their orders. All four designers are now available here. Dries Van Noten, the biggest name, sells to 10 shops. Their clothes are not cheap, but Belgian fashion, like much else coming out of Belgium, is well worth a look.

BELGIAN fashion in fashion. Sounds unlikely? Think again. Belgium's designers have been on the move in a big way for some years now. Through a combination of hard work and raw creative talent, they have forced their way on to the international stage.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • mne
    • Mar 2016

Very good read, makes me feel nostalgic and well.. old haha
    Times have certainly changed.. In some way these Non-Italian Non-French and Non-British designers are still remaining rather 'underrated'. I think it's interesting an sad that under the pressure of 'mainstream' fashion the designers don't carry their own vision to the end like they used to but depart from their label. Ann said that working in Antwerp has no constraints and feels liberating but at the time of her departure years after she said she felt like a huge rope has been finally taken off from around her neck..

What country do you think is the next 'underdog' to watch out for?

Comment

• Jtothewhat
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      All four dislike the idea of head-to- toe designer dressing. Van Noten explains: 'The 'total look' fashion of the Italians and Japanese is over. Fashion is about mixing nice shirts, sweaters and jackets in a way that suits your personality, not following the dictates of designers.'

Dirk Bikkembergs agrees. 'I would prefer to see men buying just one piece of my clothing, then mixing it with other clothes to create their own individual look. I don't want people to accuse me of making clothes for fashion victims.'
      Thank-you for posting this! Very good read. I particular found this excerpt interesting, as lately I have noticed that a lot of ''looks'' that I find the most appealing on others and myself occur when pulling from various personal inspirations, as opposed to just thinking about what designers and pieces ''should'' work together.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mne View Post
        Very good read, makes me feel nostalgic and well.. old haha
        Times have certainly changed.. In some way these Non-Italian Non-French and Non-British designers are still remaining rather 'underrated'. I think it's interesting an sad that under the pressure of 'mainstream' fashion the designers don't carry their own vision to the end like they used to but depart from their label. Ann said that working in Antwerp has no constraints and feels liberating but at the time of her departure years after she said she felt like a huge rope has been finally taken off from around her neck..

What country do you think is the next 'underdog' to watch out for?
        Yes, things have certainly changed. These designers, though relatively small, as you say, still turned their companies into relatively big businesses. I think Ann was more alluding to constraints levied by responsibilities of running a big business, rather than by fashion heritage, which is what she's talking about in this article.

Russia could be next if they get their shit together in terms of politics. Korea could be next if they learn that imitation is not the greatest form of flattery. In the last decade I thought it will be Austria, but that never happened.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jtothewhat View Post
          Thank-you for posting this! Very good read. I particular found this excerpt interesting, as lately I have noticed that a lot of ''looks'' that I find the most appealing on others and myself occur when pulling from various personal inspirations, as opposed to just thinking about what designers and pieces ''should'' work together.
          Haha, yeah, poor Dirk, munching his words. Moved to Milan and turned to shit. Young kids don't realize how influential he was at that time though. When I saw those aforementioned chunky footwear offerings from him, they totally blew my mind. It was the most innovative thing in menswear. And I only threw out one of those knits they mention last year after the moth feasted on it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jtothewhat
            • Oct 2014

Korea could be next if they learn that imitation is not the greatest form of flattery. In the last decade I thought it will be Austria, but that never happened.
            Unfortunately, I think that this is just one of the many issues holding back a lot of Korean designers. There are some extremely creative and gifted people here, with an admirable attention to detail and sometimes even a unique, creative vision.. but there are a lot of forces at play here that make it tough for the little guy in many avenues of business. High import costs/tariffs on quality materials, the extreme nepotism present in almost every industry (JuunJ, in my humble opinion as an industry outsider, is a designer that has benefitted from this), and the general Korean publics reluctance to purchase or support anything that isn't being worn by a K-Pop star or actor being just a few. I definitely don't think it is easy to make it as an independent designer anywhere in the world in the year 2016, but I think Korea has a long way to go before it starts putting genuinely unique and high quality designers onto the world stage.

Comment

• monster
              • Aug 2009

Russia could be next if they get their shit together in terms of politics.
              That's an interesting statement, and I would be very interested to hear a few words from you about the prerequisites that made you think so. I'm formerly from Russia, though not living there for the last six years, so, maybe my vision is out-of-dated and besides I know almost nothing about the processes behind, but still, from this outsider's perspective I'm pretty pessimistic about the state of things, and this almost has nothing to do with politics: almost no education institutions, lack of domestic manufacturers, no support from administrative or business sectors, very thin position in economy for textile industry, draconian laws, customs etc. all these could easily make one to abandon the idea to become a "fashion designer". Again, maybe, I treat all this in a wrong way and would be very pleased to be corrected. I'm not talking about Yudashkin, Zaytsev alike designers or domestic fashion weeks participants (I know nothing about these), or "ethnic" emissaries like Simachev, Rubchinskiy to name few. I'm mostly talking about Plokhov, Panteleev level and if today another young "Plokhov" as a designer could achieve the success without moving to US\Europe\Japan\elsewhere. Sorry, if I sound too profane. Hope to hear from you. Thanks!

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by monster View Post
                That's an interesting statement, and I would be very interested to hear a few words from you about the prerequisites that made you think so. I'm formerly from Russia, though not living there for the last six years, so, maybe my vision is out-of-dated and besides I know almost nothing about the processes behind, but still, from this outsider's perspective I'm pretty pessimistic about the state of things, and this almost has nothing to do with politics: almost no education institutions, lack of domestic manufacturers, no support from administrative or business sectors, very thin position in economy for textile industry, draconian laws, customs etc. all these could easily make one to abandon the idea to become a "fashion designer". Again, maybe, I treat all this in a wrong way and would be very pleased to be corrected. I'm not talking about Yudashkin, Zaytsev alike designers or domestic fashion weeks participants (I know nothing about these), or "ethnic" emissaries like Simachev, Rubchinskiy to name few. I'm mostly talking about Plokhov, Panteleev level and if today another young "Plokhov" as a designer could achieve the success without moving to US\Europe\Japan\elsewhere. Sorry, if I sound too profane. Hope to hear from you. Thanks!
                Well, the political dictates economic policies, right? That was part of my statement. But, what I meant more was the distrust of the West, for obvious reason. That will diminish when Russia stops putting strongmen into government and becomes a real democracy.

In today's globalized world, you don't really need the domestic manufacturing or education. I've met a bunch of Russian kids who graduated from the Antwerp Royal Academy or St. Martins. Gosha Rubchinsky is produced by Comme des Garcons. Gvasalia (not Russian technically, but ex-SU), runs the most talked about label today.

What you need are money and ideas and a sense of freshness - Russia has it all. Money of the oligarchs, ideas because the Russian elite is still very well-educated and culturally attuned, and the freshness will come from West's fascination with Russia, a sort of exoticism that still emanates from it. Watch this space.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• monster
                  • Aug 2009

Faust, thanks for reply. I got your point and mostly agree. Well, let's see how this all will work out in the near future, I'm sort of intrigued in if any positive changes could happen. But as for today, as existence determines consciousness, politics determines rules and hype determines tastes, Rubchinsky is the designer we deserved. But that's another story

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by monster View Post
                    Faust, thanks for reply. I got your point and mostly agree. Well, let's see how this all will work out in the near future, I'm sort of intrigued in if any positive changes could happen. But as for today, as existence determines consciousness, politics determines rules and hype determines tastes, Rubchinsky is the designer we deserved. But that's another story
                    For sure. And Hood By Air, and Marcelo Burlon, and Vetements.

I go to Pitti Uomo, the mens trade fair in Florence, which in itself is quite ordinary but the juice is in who they invite to be special designer guests - it always reflects the zeitgeist. And we have quickly gone from Raf, Rick, Haider, and Undercover to the ones I mention above. Gosha will be the next guest designer, and I guarantee you they are courting Vetements as we speak.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎