Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Designer Fashion Pricing Itself Out of Existence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I don't think you are describing the Chanel demographic, which is mostly heiresses, the fuerdai, and other people with "fuck you" money. I'll say this again; there are close 450,000 millionaires in the state of New York alone. Over 700,000 millionaires in California. And that's nothing in terms of spending that I see in London and Paris where the Middle East money, the Russian money, and plenty of Chinese money ends up.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
      • Feb 2009

yes i know that, i'm talking about the slp demographic. or to be more precise, the typical hedi slimane menswear enthusiast. will he pay 1800 for jeans that cost 800 last year. how will adding the chanel label impact the regular slp guy that loves his wyatt boots that he got on grailed and his jeans from barneys. and how will the fact that what was once merely hyped is now at chanel level covetousness impact the average slp buyer

i guess the answer is really very simple. he won't be able to buy it anymore...
      dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Ah, I see. Yeah, maybe not. Or maybe they will still be $800. Jesus, they are now $800, really? Whatever happened to $500? Not expensive enough?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cjbreed
          • Feb 2009

yeah the more treated and distressed ones are at $890. i actually bought a pair of skinny black jeans with knee rips and paid 850+tax and when i got home i felt like i'd been hypnotized or something. i was under a spell in the boutique and when i got home i snapped out of it. totally not worth it. but they look cool and i wear them a lot so there you go...

i really think it will just mean normal guys can't buy it anymore and hedi and karl are perfectly happy with that...
          dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

people who spend 500 dollars on jeans with holes in them are hardly normal. you're already in a rarefied atmosphere of intense bullshit. this will just be a higher altitude of ridiculousness.

positive impact: it will allow the current SLP customer to feel normal for having been priced out, which will give him a sense of authenticity and make him feel at one with the people.

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Ah, I see. Yeah, maybe not. Or maybe they will still be $800. Jesus, they are now $800, really? Whatever happened to $500? Not expensive enough?
              Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
              i really think it will just mean normal guys can't buy it anymore and hedi and karl are perfectly happy with that...
              Originally posted by galia View Post
              people who spend 500 dollars on jeans with holes in them are hardly normal. you're already in a rarefied atmosphere of intense bullshit. this will just be a higher altitude of ridiculousness.

positive impact: it will allow the current SLP customer to feel normal for having been priced out, which will give him a sense of authenticity and make him feel at one with the people.
              Hahaha oh my god, I'm dying.

I would try a male Chanel scent FWIW. I know, ew, but Rick never came through and I'd have to see what that kind of bullshit would smell like on my skin.
              bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• mrbeuys
                • May 2008

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                Hahaha oh my god, I'm dying.

I would try a male Chanel scent FWIW. I know, ew, but Rick never came through and I'd have to see what that kind of bullshit would smell like on my skin.
                There's quite a lot for you to try already. I mean, forget Bleu but Les Exclusifs, especially Sycomore ( my go to winter fragrance ), are quite interesting. Even the 80s feel of Egoiste has its charms.
                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Pumpfish
                  • Sep 2010

The rationale for Chanel to hire Hedi is unlikely to hinge on bringing SLP customers to Chanel. Chanel do not need them, and it is likely the new SLP customers associate with the brand more than the designer and may not move easily. Hedi, for all his control, did not put his name on any part of the business.

The likely rationale is that Chanel need to think beyond Karl. They need a successor with his gravitas, influence and commercial instincts. Hedi would be an ideal successor, and if you can have an orderly handover over a couple of years, why not?

As regards menswear at Chanel, it is a much bigger opportunity now that the super premium RTW and MTM mens model has been proven and is working.

Do not underestimate the importance to Chanel of the personal branding humility Hedi showed while at Saint Laurent.
                  spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• DudleyGray
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    There's quite a lot for you to try already. I mean, forget Bleu but Les Exclusifs, especially Sycomore ( my go to winter fragrance ), are quite interesting. Even the 80s feel of Egoiste has its charms.
                    Hah, shows how much I know about Chanel and scents. I tend just to smell like smoke, maybe that's off-putting, thanks for the recommendation.
                    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• ES3K
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                      Sorry for getting OT, but since Sycomore is my winter (and evening) scent as well, and my summer fragrances bore me (Terre d' Hermes and New West), may I ask what's your summer favorite?

Comment

• mrbeuys
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by ES3K View Post
                        Sorry for getting OT, but since Sycomore is my winter (and evening) scent as well, and my summer fragrances bore me (Terre d' Hermes and New West), may I ask what's your summer favorite?
                        It's pretty much HL Cuiron at the moment and I just got given a lovely leather scent from Perfumer H which isn't too heavy. But have not found anything that says SUMMER for a while.
                        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• ES3K
                          • Oct 2008

Thank you!

Comment

• ES3K
                            • Oct 2008

Just to fuel the rumours: two hours ago Carine Roitfeld posted a picture of Karl Lagerfeld on her Instagram with "missing you already". Shortly after that she replaced it, same photo, but now with "the king of st tropez".

6,100 likes, 66 comments - carineroitfeld on May 26, 2016: "King of st tropezz❤️ @bentoub"

Didn't make a screenshot of the original post, but it definitely was there.

Comment

• Evka31
                              • Jul 2017

I think it's a horrible idea to spend so much just for the name. In today's consumption-based and recognition-seeking world I guess it has become a normal practice. I always love the quote "Americans buys stuff they don't need with the money they don't have to impress people they don't like". It is the perfect way to express the whole situation. The problem is that this way of living is spreading like a virus across the world. In general, I understand that some of those bags and glasses etc. are cool looking. But have you ever considered checking where they are made in? It's the far eastern asian countries. These designer branded things are mass produced by cheap labor and sold with thousand percent margins for idiots buying that crap with their credit cards only to impress people that actually don't give a shit anymore :) it is quite ironic. Instead, spend a lot less money for even more beautiful and higher quality products made locally by some crazy cool artists. In that case you will impress people (I guess that what is buying expensive shit is all about) and will catch attention. Not only will you support your own people that make a living by making that stuff, but you will not overpay and get what you pay for. For example Baltic Domini brings some super cool Baltic artists together just to fight off those crazy brands. After all, it's all about your own community that you live in, as they are who you rely on to keep your business running, home safe etc. etc. So stop for once giving a damn shit about other peoples' opinion. Like Lannisters say:" A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinion of sheep". Something to think about :)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎