Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadboy
    • Jul 2013

I second Steve Jobs. Can't believe there have been two films made about him since his death.

Speaking of which, Danny Boyle. Apart from Trainspotting, which was mostly a right-place-right-time film for me, I've found his films to be a whole lot of meh. And I really didn't care for Slumdog.

While I love some of his older movies (and some of his Wes Anderson roles too, haters), I find the love for and obsession with Bill Murray to be totally disproportionate to the quality of his work these days.

And lastly, Prince. The weeks following his death really hammered home how ambivalent I am toward his music. I don't hate it, it just never appealed to me. I'm totally fine being wrong about him. But he did seem like a huge jerk.

Comment

• david s
      • Jul 2010

ooh a fun one

Heidegger, besides being a fascist, navel gazing at it's worst

Miles Davis, always been stumped by his music, have never been able to get into it...always felt as a jazz legend I should like him, alas no

Michelangelo Antonioni, his films are just so unbelievably sloooooow and boring

Yayoi Kusama, personal connection, worked on an advertising gig that was promoting her work with LVMH, to me boils down to lots of dots

the Who, except for Live at Leeds pretty much sounds all the same to me
      Last edited by david s; 05-25-2016, 08:59 PM.
      It's absolutely Hedious!
      shy poser

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by david s View Post
        Yayoi Kusama, personal connection, worked on an advertising gig that was promoting her work with LVMH, to me boils down to lots of dots
        Also does nothing for me for the same reason.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

I was really puzzled by her exhibit, looked like mid-tier Ridgewood loft party decorations.

Comment

• monster
            • Aug 2009

So many persons that could be on my list were named so far: from Jobs to Von Trier, from Warhol to Innariitu (though still missing some figures like Zuckerberg and Rubchinsky). Fortunately I have no counterparts that suppose me to like Kanye or Asap Rocky, (or maybe unfortunately I have no social life) but here is a couple of figures that supposed to be liked by myself, but don't:

John Balance I'm a big fan of all these industrial, experimental, darkfolkish sort of things, and Balance has always been one of the most eminent members of the "occult underground", and still his music seems absolutely uninteresting, boring and superficial so far. Maybe I was listening to the wrong things. Will be very interested to get some guidance from anyone who is into this stuff.

Fitzgerald Absolutely can't get Fitzgerald and have no idea why his sort of corny, mawkish literature is praised by so many.

BBS I suppose I'am expected to be killed with fire for this, but seriously almost not a single piece that doesn't remind me of other designers' works or I've ever wanted to purchase. Might be my bad taste or lack of knowledge, but still.

And one more thing: I noticed name of Vladimir Nabokov, mentioned by Galia, not quite sure what's in this gentleman's novels could be hated. As for me, it's a very smart, well-written, deep and touching literature. Not mention a perfect style that could be beaten only by Benedict Erofeev

Comment

• galia
              • Jun 2009

You're probably righ about Nabokov, I just don't like to be condescended to and his prose stinks of condescention for the reader. I'm not alone in this opinion, although admitedly there are not many of us. Maybe you have a higher tolerance for pompousness

Erofeev is definitely better, I liked Москва-Петушки, but if he's high up at the top of your litterary pantheon I feel sorry for you

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Terence Malick - I find most of his films cheesy or borderline so. Of course, the cinematography is stunning at times, especially those peerless late afternoon scenes.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MJRH
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post
                  You're probably righ about Nabokov, I just don't like to be condescended to and his prose stinks of condescention for the reader. I'm not alone in this opinion, although admitedly there are not many of us. Maybe you have a higher tolerance for pompousness
                  there's this weird tension i have reading nabokov, where the stone-cold lapidary beauty of his style is constantly pulling against what you've just described. i do like him still, but with definite reservation—i just wish he'd had more of a sense of humour (that wasn't just a snigger at someone's expense).

the only feller to die this year whose music i listen to with any frequency was tony conrad.
                  ain't no beauty queens in this locality

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Meh. I love Nabokov. His ridicule of the fatuous is delicious. Come live in America, Galia, and you'll understand him better.

Everyone from the YBA. A bunch of posers and Warhol-wannabes. Well, I can go on about contemporary art for a long time...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• killah
                      • Jun 2009

radiohead and nine inch nails two completely different bands sure both equally cringe-worthy

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by killah View Post
                        radiohead and nine inch nails two completely different bands sure both equally cringe-worthy
                        FUCK YOU

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mrbeuys
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          FUCK YOU
                          This took you 2 days? I was so waiting for it :)
                          Ditto btw.
                          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Haha, I was working!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

I would never live in the USA, it seems like a nightmare of ignorance, self righteousness and processed food. Ugh

Comment

• cjbreed
                                • Feb 2009

dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎