• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Dries Van Noten SS17, Paris

Dries Van Noten SS17, Paris: http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2016/06/d...en-ss17-paris/

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

full collection / alternate photos: http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/s...how/collection

I have to say, I initially felt a bit indifferent towards the collection, maybe it was because I was looking through the lens which always takes its toll. But after revisiting it through the photos, I'm loving this. As typical for Dries, amazing patterns and prints, maybe overuse in some cases, but I think it works.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• gustavobradley
      • Jun 2016

Really like this, and it definitely helps to finally wash out the bad taste that SS16 left.

Pattern mixing was crazy even for Dries, and as usual it's stuff I love, but can't see myself wearing personally. I do love some of the more subdued looks, the knitwear, and the rope detailing on the waists of some of the pants, too. Jackets with inner straps are also awesome.

Comment

• Mattiassa
        • Dec 2014

Dries always touches a nerve in me. I never feel the urge to intellectualize his collections but rather succumb to the beauty.

I saw similarities to Craig Greens SS 17 collection, especially the patchwork jackets in light, pastel hues.

Wonderful.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Mattiassa View Post
          Dries always touches a nerve in me. I never feel the urge to intellectualize his collections but rather succumb to the beauty.

I saw similarities to Craig Greens SS 17 collection, especially the patchwork jackets in light, pastel hues.

Wonderful.
          But you should. Dries goes through a rigorous intellectual process in each collection.

Also, sorry, but comparing this to Craig Green in any way, shape, or forum is utterly misguided.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mattiassa
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            But you should. Dries goes through a rigorous intellectual process in each collection.

Also, sorry, but comparing this to Craig Green in any way, shape, or forum is utterly misguided.

There's nothing here I should do.

And also, just because you didn't like the Craig Green show doesn't make it misguided. Sorry.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

There's nothing here I should do.

And also, just because you didn't like the Craig Green show doesn't make it misguided. Sorry.
              Did you read DVN's press release about the show? Did you talk to him for an hour the next day? I did both. I don't even need to say anything with regards to Dries and Green in the context of contemporary fashion history - it should be self-evident. You are just betraying your ignorance. Sorry.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mainstayer0
                • Sep 2015

Easily one o fht ebest

Comment

• gustavobradley
                  • Jun 2016

Do you have a link to the press release? I'd be interested in reading it.

Comment

• Mattiassa
                    • Dec 2014

Did you read DVN's press release about the show? Did you talk to him for an hour the next day? I did both. I don't even need to say anything with regards to Dries and Green in the context of contemporary fashion history - it should be self-evident. You are just betraying your ignorance. Sorry.
                    I don't get that logic. What does your interaction with Dries V N has to do with how I experience things? And also, calling me ignorant because my opinions doesn't match yours, that's ignorant.

Comment

• galia
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                      Oh my God I love this so much! I too would love looking like a medieval castle (no joke)

Dries is just the best at fabrics, no contest

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

I don't get that logic. What does your interaction with Dries V N has to do with how I experience things? And also, calling me ignorant because my opinions doesn't match yours, that's ignorant.
                        Ok, you just went from ignorant to willfully stupid. Obviously, my opinion is based on information I have that you don't. So, no, my well-informed opinion and your ignorant opinion are obviously not the same. It's ignoramuses like you, who proclaim that all opinions are equal, who make an intelligent discussion about taste a futile exercise.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gustavobradley View Post
                          Do you have a link to the press release? I'd be interested in reading it.
                          DRIES VAN NOTEN

The collection for Men S/S 2017

An imagined view from Kelmscott (Manor) on Arts and Crafts today.

An ode to Utopians, Libertarians, Craftspeople, Draughtsmen, Textile and Ceramic Art.

A Brotherhood in the organic, raw, hand loomed, elemental and humane.

Contrasted minimalist forms with maximalist motifs, antique hand stitched tapestry in modern photo print.

Fabrics and volume as ornament. Needlework calligraphy embellishes.

No hierarchy of wardrobe.

STYLE / FORM
                          Contrasting a stark minimalism, columns of sole colour with a loose sylvan abundance of form in photo prints of tapestry.

The structured, elongated and narrow set against the sporty, easy and loose, the smooth with the roughly hewn,

Narrow structured jackets and oversized sweatshirts as tunics, the rural and urban.

High waisted, wide leg suit trousers. Loose shorts. Soft shoulders. Fencing jackets.

One pleat trousers. Straps reshape classic garments such as suits and parkas. Knit sports cuffs at wrists and ankles.

FABRICS
                          Opposites ; Raw and natural linens, Sheer cotton, silk voiles, The simplicity of the rustic contrasts with the sophistication of couture and technical fabrics.

Matt with glazed. Weaves seem like knits.

COLOUR
                          Verdant, natural, stark, graphic, weathered, pristine.

MOTIF
                          Photographs of Five Tapestries and Garments in Camouflage and Reconstructed Jeans,

The finding of Moses in Egypt (Antwerp, Baroque)

Cabbage Leaf (a traditional motif) (Flanders, Renaissance) (Blondeel Collection, Belgium).

Mille Fleur ( Flanders, Medieval)

The Entrance of Alexander the Great in Babylon (Aubusson, Design Le Brun, France, Baroque).

Parrots (Detail) from the border of The finding of Moses in Egypt (Antwerp, Baroque)

Knits inspired by Textile and Ceramic Art sport unruly free-spirited designs.

Macrame hand knot fringes,

Embroidered Calligraphy tone on tone.

ACCESSORIES
                          Grounded, military soled, many-buckled sandals and boots.

SOUNDTRACK
                          A powerful instrumental version of Burn My Shadow by UNKLE

CALIGRAPHY
                          Dries Van Noten with Pokras Lampas, Saint Petersburg.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mattiassa
                            • Dec 2014

Ok, you just went from ignorant to willfully stupid. Obviously, my opinion is based on information I have that you don't. So, no, my well-informed opinion and your ignorant opinion are obviously not the same. It's ignoramuses like you, who proclaim that all opinions are equal, who make an intelligent discussion about taste a futile exercise.

Now you are being plain rude. Guess that's easy sitting behind your computer. I'm not continuing this discussion any further with that prerequisite.

Comment

• gustavobradley
                              • Jun 2016

Very cool Faust, thanks for posting it. It does really help to open up some new perspectives on the collection.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎