• Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

FASHION WEEK RAMBLINGS – S/S 2017

FASHION WEEK RAMBLINGS – S/S 2017
    by Eugene Rabkin

"If I had to summarize this past menswear season, it’d be the one of plenty of good product and few good ideas. It was neither a weak nor strong, pretty much in tune with what I have come to expect of fashion as of late.

Men’s fashion has been now thoroughly splintered into parts that cater to the youngsters and to the adults, and nowhere has this been more evident than at Pitti Uomo in Florence, where the bulk of the trade fair itself is devoted to traditional menswear, and where three designers that are of interest to the young were showing – Gosha Rubchinkiy, Visvim, and Raf Simons.

Rubchinskiy’s awful show – a parade of meaningless collaborations with second-rate Italian sports brands like Fila and Kappa – underscored once again that today’s trendy fashion has discarded design in favor of the image. This is the Instagram era, where graphics and logos reign and subtleties of cut and construction are lost. Rubchinskiy’s universe is decidedly image-driven. Most of what he produces could hardly be called design at all – it’s simply tees and sweatshirts emblazoned with his name, silly logo appropriations, and empty slogans like “Russian Renaissance.” The post-Soviet youth thing that he mines is exotic enough to work well for the London and Tokyo hipsters, and that’s about it.

With regards to the above, I have thought whether, at 39, I am turning into a grumpy old man. I went back and thought about the designs of Raf Simons that I bought in the late 90s and early 00s, barely out of my 20s and still very much a kid, and if an older man would find those Joy Division patches silly. But, no, there was DESIGN in what Simons offered. He wasn’t simply slapping graphics onto tees, but experimented with cut and proportions. There was the razor-sharp tailoring, and his appropriation of the bourgeois métier for his own purposes. His rebellion was elegant. If revolution was to be televised, we might as well be dressed by Simons.

That night Simons reminded me why I fell in love with his work in the first place by scattering his archives through a scaffold parcour course to the sound of industrial and post-punk music. And then came the show for which Simons collaborated with Robert Mapplethorpe’s archive. It was touching, especially in the light of the recent Orlando shooting. And no, these were not just prints slapped onto standard-issue garments – there were Simons’s signature plays with volume and tailoring. It did get a bit repetitive by the end, but I did not mind.

Less than a week later I was in Paris (I don’t go to Milan) at the sublime Haider Ackermann show where he continued to mine his dandyist, devil-may-care fantasy. I was particularly taken by the blotchy, billowing shirts that looked like something a painter would inadvertently spoil and then wore out, pleased with the results of a happy accident. I’m just waiting for a film or theater version of The Picture of Dorian Gray where all costumes are done by Ackermann.

The next morning was the solid Boris Bidjan Saberi show, where he continued to slowly expand his body of work. Later, in the showroom full of meticulously built clothes, Saberi talked about his responsibility to himself and to his audience to make the best clothes possible. The gist of his train of thought was that there are so many imitators out there now, whose clothes might cost 30% cheaper than BBS, and it was up to him to prove that while you may pay a bit more for his work, you’d know what you are paying for. Looking around the showroom, I could not agree more. The proof was in the proverbial pudding.

The Rick Owens show, titled “Walrus” that happened right after Saberi’s left me scratching my head. I really don’t know what to make of Owens’s new silhouette experiments where a super short tight jacket borders pants of such volume that even the models had to hitch them up while walking. I will put aside the thoughts of how feminine and emasculating most of it looked – after all these things are a matter of personal taste. I am more concerned that Owens might be a bit lost as to which direction to take after his incredibly successful goth/streetwear run. There is a lot of discussion around whether his current offerings are wearable. But, the thing is the hardcore stuff he put on the runway as early as three years ago was unwearable by most people’s standards. And yet, he convinced men that mini dress-length tees, exaggerated shoes, and diaper pants are the things to wear. These clothes were unconventional, but they still belonged to this universe. I could not bring myself to make the same conclusion after Walrus. I did not like the fact that it took me all of ten minutes to go through the entire collection at the showroom. I looked forward to the precollection and DRKSHDW, and there was good stuff to be found there, but it all seemed a bit sterile than before. All I can say is, hang on to the Rick Owens garments that are already in your closet.

That night I went to the shows of the two icons – Yohji Yamamoto and Dries Van Noten. Yamamoto’s collection was sumptuous but melancholic. It ended with a slew of reversible tailored coats, some with Yamamoto’s early sketches, and some with the already familiar slogans like the miswritten “I’m a Slump” (it’s supposed to be “I’m In a Slump”) that showed, like the entire collection did, that Yamamoto is tired of it all. I am not surprised.

At Dries Van Noten, the show was an homage to Arts and Crafts, a reactionary movement of the late 19th Century against the soullessness of industrialization. This was very much on Van Noten’s mind when we talked the next day about the current state of fashion, in which mass-manufactured product across the entire spectrum of fashion reigns supreme, and where most consumers are drowning in meaningless stuff. Van Noten reincarnated the mood of Arts and Crafts in handmade fabrics and hand-embroidered calligraphy. The movement did not reject modernity but wanted to infuse it with meaning, and Dries Van Noten combined modern means of production with traditional ones.

The last show of the day was Julius, which I did not attend. I only mention it because some of you probably expect a reaction, but the best I can do in summing up my feelings about what this brand has become is with a line from Pulp Fiction, “I didn’t go into no Burger King.”

Full article continues here.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • jimmycs
    • Mar 2014

Eugene, thanx for the wonderful ramblings to someone who is far removed from the in depth world of fashions.

Suffice to say that I only buy and drawn to items that appeal to me, irregardless of any particular brands/ designers. Saying that, I must admit I have been a big fan of Julius for the last few years but do not find his last few seasons to be inspiring. The same can be said for Rick Owens. Just do not see things that I admire enough lately.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

You are welcome.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ahn
        • Jul 2012

I really enjoyed this article, and felt particular resonance with...

Saberi talked about his responsibility to himself and to his audience to make the best clothes possible.
        Thanks Faust
        some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ahn View Post
          I really enjoyed this article, and felt particular resonance with...

Thanks Faust
          Thanks! I'm glad you caught that. Thought I thought the Pulp Fiction line will win the prize.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• amulet
            • Apr 2015

I always look forward to your fashion week ramblings Faust, An insightful & interesting read as always!
            Last edited by amulet; 07-09-2016, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• ftwime
              • Feb 2011

thoughtful!

Comment

• Anton
                • Oct 2014

As always, a fantastic read!
                I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• ThompsonCook
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2016

Great article thanks to share to all.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢