• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist + Colibri Partnership for Dyeing + Leatherwork

Dear members,

I am excited to announce an official partnership between StyleZeitgeist and Colibri Textile Dyeing studio. This means you can now restore all your garments to a brand new condition, or dye that ugly brown sweater you bought because it was on sale black and finally wear it.

As some of you may know Colibri is the best textile and garment dyeing studio in the USA. Half of New York's fashion industry, from Calvin Klein and Donna Karan down uses their services. They have dyed garments for the Oscars, Grammies, and the Met Gala, and many other high profile clients.

In order to expand and take the company to the next, state-of-the-art level, Colibri has recently moved to a big space in New Jersey, and are in the process of receiving the newest machinery from Europe. They have also launched a comprehensive leather dyeing, treatment and repair service. I have been their guinea pig, and you can see the results for yourself below.

The owners of Colibri appreciate what we do, and we have worked out a deal for any member of SZ or any independent designer who comes referred by us to get preferential treatment.

SERVICES OFFERED:

Garment Dyeing - Colibri will dye any garment of yours to virtually any color. It is the first facility to use a photo spectometer for precise shades of any color. Obviously, for us they understand that black is the primary color, and they are real masters of it, speaking from firsthand experience. They will restore your faded garments to brand new condition. All of Colibri's dyes are vegetable based, without heavy chemicals. Each garment is dyed individually to ensure a precise tone of color.

Leather Dyeing - Colibri will dye any of your leather products by hand, from jackets to shoes! Each garment receives utmost individual attention - all hardware is carefully covered by special tape and the lining is covered as well.

Leather Waterproofing - Colibri will waterproof any of your leather items. No more getting caught in the rain and getting rain spots.

Leather Repar - Colibri will repair or replace any component of your leathers - lining, zippers, snaps or buttons.

HOW IT WORKS

1) Visit the COLIBRI WEBSITE and fill out a customer form, carefully explaining what you need done. MAKE SURE you put "SZ" in the REFERENCE box.

2) Colibri will contact you with the price and turnaround time.

3) You will need to ship your garments to Colibri

4) Upon completion of the job, Colibri will send the garment back to you and email you the tracking number.

Let me know if you have any questions. Colibri will work with international clients, but you need to take into account the shipping costs. However, I guarantee you that their job quality is next to none.

EXAMPLE OF LEATHER WORK COLIBRI HAS DONE FOR ME - LEATHER JACKET AND SHOES.

a) This Julius jacket was not waterproofed and poorly dyed. After it developed sweat stains around armpits, I stopped wearing for years. Check out the magical job Colibri did.

Before:

After:

b) A1923 August Shoes that were brown

are now black

Julius leather jacket process

all taped up for precise dyeing. all hardware and lining covered

hand dyeing process

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

FOR DESIGNERS:

Colibri wants to support young local designers by giving them top notch precise quality work by dyeing your fabrics, up to 1,000 yards per batch using high quality dyes and machinery for precise coloration.

Use the same process as clients, and make sure to put "SZ" as the referral code to get preferential treatment. You DO NOT have to be a StyleZeitgeist member to do this. I know if you are reading this, you are already with us in spirit.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Lohikaarme
      • Jul 2013

Can you ballpark us prices, say for your jacket and the shoes?

Comment

• agentred
        • Jul 2009

Digging this!! For international buyers shipping costs are fine but getting dinged on customs for a $2000 jacket both ways won't be pretty.

Is there an easy solution that doesn't veer into 'mark it as being worth $5?'?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
          Can you ballpark us prices, say for your jacket and the shoes?
          To hand dye a leather jacket will cost around $250. To dye a pair of pants will be around $125, any fiber content. Well worth it considering how much we pay for these items. The Julius leather sat in my closet for years, and it was well worth it.

Agentred, I am sure Colibri will work with you on the customs front.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Lohikaarme
            • Jul 2013

Thank you! Great color on that jacket, too.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            To hand dye a leather jacket will cost around $250. To dye a pair of cotton pants will be around $60. Well worth it considering how much we pay for these items. The Julius leather sat in my closet for years, and it was well worth it.

Agentred, I am sure Colibri will work with you on the customs front.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

awesome to have this formalized into a collaborative service!

Pricing sounds completely reasonable! To add to the outerwear and pants, what would be the price range for say the shoes you posted above?
              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                awesome to have this formalized into a collaborative service!

Pricing sounds completely reasonable! To add to the outerwear and pants, what would be the price range for say the shoes you posted above?
                To hand dye a pair of shoes, $125, including domestic return shipping. It's a three-stage process that gets really deep into the skin, using the best dyes from Europe.

BTW, I misquoted the price for pants, corrected now. Each garment is individually dyed to get the exact tone.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Piffen
                  • Aug 2007

Just recevied an old _7 jacket and a Zam Barrett bag back from Costas at Colibri. Couldn't be happier, excellent work! I think I paid around USD250 per piece including shipping. Highly recommended!

Before

After

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Oh, yeah, Costas told me about you! They also do white. Check out my Rick Owens geo before and after. I mean it's fucking brand new! These guys are real masters.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Piffen
                      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      Oh, yeah, Costas told me about you! They also do white. Check out my Rick Owens geo before and after. I mean it's fucking brand new! These guys are real masters.
                      Oh, really? :) Great guy, he actually called me up and explained the process and the different options available. Superb service, totally revived these beloved items for me. Thank you Faust for initiating the partnership, not sure I would've gone through with it otherwise.

Geo looks amazing, masters indeed. :)

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

True artisans doing great work should be supported

that white is amazing!

thanks Piffen for giving new life to that Bag,
                        “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• nyarkies
                          • Feb 2012

Been wanting to use their services but communication has been terrible. Contacted them months ago to have a garment dyed. They responded and I spoke with somebody over the phone. After sending the photos of the stuff I wanted to get dyed, communication just stopped, no follow up from them. I tried to contact them again twice afterwards for a different item to be dyed. No response at all.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by nyarkies View Post
                            Been wanting to use their services but communication has been terrible. Contacted them months ago to have a garment dyed. They responded and I spoke with somebody over the phone. After sending the photos of the stuff I wanted to get dyed, communication just stopped, no follow up from them. I tried to contact them again twice afterwards for a different item to be dyed. No response at all.
                            Which email address or phone did you use? They've been hammered with fashion week, The Met, and the Jewish Museum exhibits. They are much freer now. Try again.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nyarkies
                              • Feb 2012

I used the form they have online which gives specifics on the kind of garment, fabric, and work you're requesting to be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎