Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bergdorf Goodman Ready for Hypebeasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

This was interesting. It's another chapter in testament that streetwear is taking over. Wag the dog.

On a recent Sunday afternoon on the ground floor of the Bergdorf Goodmanmen’s store in Manhattan, a woman and her adult son browsed a display of Brunello Cucinelli cashmere sweaters, each priced at over $1,000. Up one set of stairs, a man asked a sales clerk for help selecting a formal, white tuxedo shirt. And on the third level, two male shoppers flicked through a rack of nylon Kithwindbreakers and discussed which to wear to an upcoming Drake concert.

If Drizzy’s two fanboys seem out of place at Bergdorf Goodman—the Fifth Avenue institution that has served Upper East Side housewives without credit limits, Russian one percenters, and anyone who can be counted among “the most discerning clientele in the world” since it was founded in 1899—a glance around the store will tell you that times are changing. On that same Sunday, there were noticeably fewer shoppers in Chanel tweed than Off-White stripes. But can a store known for lavish private shopping suites also serve young consumers snatching up $45 limited edition T-shirts? Can the hypebeasts coexist alongside the ladies who lunch?

“Bergdorf is doing what all of the other department stores are doing right now, which is making a bid to stay relevant,” says Tiffany Yannetta, shopping director at Racked.com. “There is that reputation of being stuffy, a little old, a little grandiose. They’re trying to grab that younger consumer to show that they’re with it. It could be as simple as buyers saying, ‘We gotta get our hands on Kith, because the kids want Kith!’”

http://uk.complex.com/style/2016/10/...ith-fenty-puma
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • SafetyKat
    • Aug 2014

Hastily Jam a young, hype, kitschy label into a section of the store where it sticks out and quickly sell a limited stock before it causes too much controversy. Get your money from a certain customer demographic and sush them out before they disturb the old money. It attracts a good amount of press and gives them a quick cash injection. Rinse and repeat...
    I'm not sure if they have been doing this before but I would be interested to see Bergdorf pulling this stint every few months.

Comment

• SafetyKat
      • Aug 2014

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

I thought they already had a contemporary section, I don't see how swapping rolled-up chinos and country boots for logo tee is such an important move, the contemporary section just flows with the times, its aesthetic content is irrelevant.
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎