X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shadowvault
    • Oct 2014

Clothes that complement your body

I had a small discussion on the Yes or No thread and it got me thinking...Do the clothes i choose make me look better or worse in terms of general shape,not just the fashion aspect.I thought it would be nice if there was a thread with those type of questions.Maybe some mistakes could be avoided.
    So here is the first question:
    Does height (im not talking about extreme cases) defines how you look in your clothes or its just proportions? Are some clothes only for extremely tall/skinny people you can rock them too if you pick correctly?
    Discuss!

P.S. Mathematically speaking i think maybe its about ratios.For example this guy is really tall .I think more than 190cm
    Now this guy looks really good in Julius and he is just 170cm (and IMO he looks much taller)
  • DudleyGray
    • Jul 2013

I think this would have been better off in shopping/personal style.

Conventionally, the ideal is for the legs to be longer than the torso, but also within that, for the lower leg/arm to be longer than the upper leg/arm and the upper torso longer than the lower torso, and maybe broad, flat shoulders with a longer neck. Fashion plays off of this with little tricks here and there to create optical illusions that suggest or exaggerate these proportions or to take the focus away from features that don't adhere to this ideal. Height and weight matters in that designers create with a particular body shape in mind, and scaling patterns can only do so much. I could be wrong about some of this stuff, industry people probably know this one better than me.

But then there's cool factor too, a lot of cool stuff is just not flattering. Like Reservoir Dogs, those thrift store suits were hardly even suits, but I'd rather look like that than James Bond any day, so I don't pay too much mind to whether something fits well.
    bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Shadowvault
      • Oct 2014

Really good points.Thats what i was searching for.So you are suggesting where what you think looks cool no matter what?Because you said "I don't pay too much mind to whether something fits well."

P.S. Ye i had seconds thoughts for posting that here too.Maybe it should be moved to shopping/personal style.Its just there is more commenting than advice discussion there so thats why i posted it here.Maybe it would be better off in r/malefashionadvice hah.

Comment

• Anton
        • Oct 2014

I think it also has to do with your general build(maybe that's what you've meant in proportions/ratios). You might be tall and fit the cloths height wise but your build won't allow you to wear it. I'm 185cm not really tall and not short, but i weigh 85-88kg with 44 inch chest, I'm not fat but muscular, all the CCP etc' stuff goes out the window as it simply looks ridiculous on me even in the largest size.

Also a build makes you appear a certain way, a person with a very slim build maybe can rock a nice leather jacket but someone larger might look like a Tony Soprano even though it fits him perfectly.

Another thing that I think is important to mention is pictures, most of us see these cloths in pictures on people. Usually in the perfect pose, the perfect light and some photoshop, in many cases in reality it looks way different.
        I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
        My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• NOHSAD
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Anton View Post
          I think it also has to do with your general build(maybe that's what you've meant in proportions/ratios). You might be tall and fit the cloths height wise but your build won't allow you to wear it.
          This right here. Depending on your body build some garments will look good on you while others are just a bust. JULIUS_7 (and most Asian-made clothes for that matter) is a good example, they generally look good on slim/skinny people due to how the garments fits. If you have a large and/or muscular build, wearing those types of clothes doesn't compliment your body at all.
          "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Shadowvault
            • Oct 2014

So its more like the build that counts (slim/skinny/musucular) rather than independent variables like height/weight as short/tall/average people can be skinny/large

Comment

• Anton
              • Oct 2014

I think it's probably a combination of both...and it really depends which look you're looking for.
              I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
              My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• Glennphilips
                Banned
                • Dec 2022

Finally, quilties need headphones that have an adequate battery life. Quilting projects can go on for hours, so make sure your headphones have enough battery life to last. Look for headphones with rechargeable batteries and long battery life ratings. This will ensure that you won’t have to stop your project just to charge your headphones. https://headphonester.com/best-headphones-for-peloton/

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎