Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Writing a speech about fast fashion, how do i avoid coming off as pretentious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gatsu
    • Jul 2015

Writing a speech about fast fashion, how do i avoid coming off as pretentious?

Currently in school we are having an english assignment where we have to write a political speech.
    We had to choose a topic and because i did not want to write about abortion, racism, sexism and so on like most other people in the class picked, i chose fast fashion.

Most people in the class buys their clothes from stores like H&M, Zara, Abercrombie and Fitch, The gap and so on. I want to avoid coming off as pretentious and offensive to them, i dont want to make them feel bad because they buy most of their stuff from there, i myself buy underwear, socks and emergency T-shirts if i need it from H&M. I only want to make them aware of where their clothes come from. I am going to watch the true cost and read some articles about this to see how they have avoided coming off like that.

Do you fellow members of stylezeitgeist have any tips for avoiding coming off as pretentious when talking about fashion to people that does not have an interest or as big of an interest as you? I would greatly appreciate it.
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

True Cost is a good place to start. If you mirror the tone of the film, you won't be pretentious.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• matglenn
      • Jun 2016

Once you develop a thesis you should share it, its difficult to really know what your argument will be. I wouldn't worry about coming off as pretentious though, it could make your speech less effective if you worried about offending your peers.

Its really important that people know where their products are coming from.

Comment

• SafetyKat
        • Aug 2014

A good source on the nature of the problem
        http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/a...hical-shopper/

My two cents, try to make the speech impersonal in terms of your buying habits or your perceived habits of your class. Therefore your audience won't feel directly affronted.
        It sounds like you have a good start. To me, the fact that you're asking about how you would be coming off suggests that you're pretty aware. I think you'll be just fine.

Let us know how its going
        Last edited by SafetyKat; 11-06-2016, 10:03 PM. Reason: late light dyslexia

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Don't read any of my articles. I'm always described as elitist. Which I love.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sam_tem
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Don't read any of my articles. I'm always described as elitist. Which I love.
            I think the breaking point is around the 10th grade reading level, so don't get too flattered ;)

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post
              I think the breaking point is around the 10th grade reading level, so don't get too flattered ;)
              Dang!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SafetyKat
                • Aug 2014

Any word on how it went?

Comment

• deadboy
                  • Jul 2013

Not sure if you've already done your speech, but I think in general a good way to avoid sounding pretentious is to write with no assumption that your audience knows what you're talking about, agrees with you, or even likes you.

Comment

• nielsmia
                    • Mar 2017

Thanks to share the article regarding to fashion and jewelry . I love jewelry much more than other thing .

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎