• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by julian_doe View Post
    I feel like a lot (perhaps most?) of the crowd in SZ is in their late 20's/30's, and thus most must be entirely alright with the Smashing Pumpkins. The redundancy is irrelevant, given that Adore is an awesome album.

As much as I love the Smashing Pumpkins, I must say that I have stayed away from their music after Billy Corgan began to unravel and show his true colors. It is really sad to think that someone who's work I used to "Adore" is a conspiracy theorist, and right wing nut.

:/
    It's really sad, isn't it? :/
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• julian_doe
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by [B
      DudleyGray[/B];528932]At least Billy is a relatively harmless crazy. He's not John Lennon or R. Kelly, nobody's been hurt or injured, you know? Maybe it's just a product of having grown up in a red state, but I think idiots and assholes can be OK, there are worse things. On second thought, I think it's my cynicism. I'm convinced everyone's some kind of asshole, either by intent or accident. And Billy's a crazy narcissist with shitty views, but I don't see how that's my problem. He has that ability, kind of like divining, that results in sounds that give a lot of people meaning, and this somehow transcends politics. Like I'm not a huge fan of the hoagie dude down the street, but I love his Italian hoagies. He probably posts mean things in comments sections of obscure blogs or some shit, who knows, people are weird.
      ahn I totally understand the emotional attachment to his music, and how disappointing Corgan is as a person.

DudleyGray, to be honest with you I don't know what you mean by "harmless crazy".

Perhaps I am being a bit idealistic about it, but when I think of a person who earns millions of dollars from millions of people who appreciate his/her work and then it turns out the person is a bigot...it doesn't seem fair to say that we are romanticizing the reasons why people feel offended/disappointed.

It is okay for everyone to have their own opinions, but to act on them by conducting public interviews where there is an open dislike for transgender people and the comparison of social activists to "the KKK" is entirely unacceptable to me. I am sure that everyone believes/agrees with something which offends someone else, but being an apologist to someone who is openly prejudiced against others is turning a blind eye to the one of the cancers (the many) which plagues society.

Is your hoagie more important to you than handing cash to a racist/xenophobe/sexist/isolationist or whatever this guy may be?

"Free speech for the dumb..."

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Not to change the topic from Billy's Bigotry, but I just signed up for a free trial of Tidal Hi-Fi, which streams lossless, and I must say it sounds very good. I hooked up my phone through the RCA cable to my amp and I cannot tell the difference between that and CDs or vinyl. It's quite pricier than other services at $20 a month, but if you care about quality and want to stream, this seems like a good choice. I would still advocate buying v. streaming though.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
          • Jul 2013

Is your hoagie more important to you than handing cash to a racist/xenophobe/sexist/isolationist or whatever this guy may be?
          Haha oh god, don't put words in my mouth like that, only hoagies. Old Italian, salt, pepper, oregano, oil, on a crusty roll, nothing else. What if word got around to him that I was calling him a bigot? He's the only decent hoagie guy in my area; no, that's unacceptable, I need him.

But I get what your saying. Should I enjoy my life less because what I enjoy was made by someone who has shitty opinions? Why should I be the one to change, when Billy's the asshole? I don't know, maybe I should change, reject the things that I love and give meaning to my life because Billy has some bad thoughts and words.
          bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• julian_doe
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
            Haha oh god, don't put words in my mouth like that, only hoagies. Old Italian, salt, pepper, oregano, oil, on a crusty roll, nothing else. What if word got around to him that I was calling him a bigot? He's the only decent hoagie guy in my area; no, that's unacceptable, I need him.

But I get what your saying. Should I enjoy my life less because what I enjoy was made by someone who has shitty opinions? Why should I be the one to change, when Billy's the asshole? I don't know, maybe I should change, reject the things that I love and give meaning to my life because Billy has some bad thoughts and words.
            Unfortunately, in a capitalist society, money is the deciding factor in a lot of (most?) things. This ridiculous system is so plutocratic, that even our elections are decided by dollars, not votes.

If you become aware that a person/entity/company is doing something or is supportive of something which trumps (lol) the pursuit of equality, the livelihood of a community, and/or the rights of people among many other things...why would you continue to pay for it's continuity?
            You live in NY, right? I am sure that your gluttony for Italian subs can be satisfied elsewhere.

Edit: I am not trying to have the last word.

I just think that it is pathetic how forgiving we have become to bigotry and intolerance.

I don't believe in "good" or "bad", it is just ridiculous how indifferent people seem to be lately.

Keep swallowing this dude's hoagies, and "do your thing". "Ignorance is bliss"
            Last edited by julian_doe; 09-01-2017, 12:00 PM. Reason: Dumb conversation.

Comment

• DudleyGray
              • Jul 2013

Nah, I live in DE. There is literally 1 good hoagie place in my area, the other is solid but it's a chain (Primo). All this talk gave me a craving, so I got one for lunch.

Here, you can have half :)

So that I'm not too off topic, I just bought this as well:

Philly punk is the best punk.

Comment

• julian_doe
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                Nah, I live in DE. There is literally 1 good hoagie place in my area, the other is solid but it's a chain (Primo). All this talk gave me a craving, so I got one for lunch.

Here, you can have half :)

So that I'm not too off topic, I just bought this as well:

Philly punk is the best punk.
                How kind of you, haha.

If you like Philly Punk/Powerviolence you may enjoy Backslider. The bassist is a good friend of mine who moved there from FL. He says the same thing about the Philly scene.

Talented guys.

Comment

• Shifts
                  • Jul 2013

Another haul:
                  Celer - Plays Liberace (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  Pinkcourtesyphone + Kid Congo Powers - Phototrashed (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  Goldie - Inner City Life 2017 (FLAC, Bleep)
                  Mønic - Deep Summer (FLAC, Bleep)
                  Pan Daijing - Lack (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  Ring Snuten - Spelar Ring Snuten (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  Elegi - Bånsull (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  BJ Nilsen - Massif Trophies (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  Blut Aus Nord - 777 - The Desanctification (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  Blut Aus Nord - 777 - Sect(s) (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  Pan•American - 360 Business / 360 Bypass (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  Mats Lindström - МИГ (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  General Magic & Pita - Fridge Trax Plus (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                  Akira Rabelais - Spellewauerynsherde (FLAC, Bandcamp)

On Billy Corgan: I spent most of my teenage years listening to The Smashing Pumpkins and yes – Adore is underrated. But nowadays I can't say I listen much, because of reasons others has already posted. Sad indeed.

Comment

• mmsix
                    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Easily the most underrated SP album.
                    I think Machina I is even more underrated. But I understand, even though their visual appearance was over the top during that era and the album containts some of my personal favorites it feels like a puzzle that you can't solve.

Adore on the other hand wasn't the album that a lot of fans expected them to put out 20 years ago but listening to it now , it feels timeless to me. Their live sets during that time are the perfect combination of their softer/ fragile and their loud/powerful side.

Back to topic:
                    At the Gates : Slaughter of the soul.

I listened to it a lot back in the day but never had a physical copy of it. Looking forward to revisit old and create new memories.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Got the remastered CD of OK COMPUTER today, put it on, it's like hearing Radiohead for the first time. Love.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

If you like Philly Punk/Powerviolence you may enjoy Backslider. The bassist is a good friend of mine who moved there from FL. He says the same thing about the Philly scene.

Talented guys.
                        Nice, thanks for the rec.

Comment

• Shifts
                          • Jul 2013

Seems like this is the thread where I am most active on SZ nowadays. I guess there are worse places…

Burial - Rodent (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Clipping. - The Deep (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Dean Hurley - Anthology Resource Vol. 1: △△(FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Giulio Aldinucci - Borders and Ruins (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          KTL - II (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Kate Carr - The Story Surrounds Us (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Loscil - Suns (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Maiya Hershey - Tides (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Labradford - E Luxo So (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          La Tène - Tardive/Issime (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Pinkcourtesyphone - A Ravishment of Mirror (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Vladislav Delay - Vaanta (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Gazelle Twin - Unfleshed (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Valerio Tricoli - Miseri Lares (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Oneohtrix Point Never - Returnal (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Oneohtrix Point Never - Good Time Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (WAV, Bleep)
                          Autechre - JNSN CODE GL16 / spl47 (FLAC, Bleep)
                          Kevin Drumm - October (Early Warning), (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Gnaw Their Tongues - An Epiphanic Vomiting of Blood (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Death Anxiety - Void of the Lost Mind (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Channeling - Channeling (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                          Bläck Charm Nostalgi Vassa Tänder - Cosi-Tech (FLAC, Bandcamp)

Comment

• Shifts
                            • Jul 2013

I've been going through a black/doom metal phase of late and have made some fantastic new discoveries. The new Bell Witch album is simply gorgeous, same thing with the new Emptyset EP. I have kind of liked what they have done before, but now it feels like they have found their true form. Stellar stuff. Drab Majesty is one of my most played records from this year, post punk at it's best (maybe too clean production for some). Finally I want to give a shout out to Wacław Zimpel - Lines. Beautiful album in the veins of repetitive neo-classical music, here with focus on soft clarinet.

Machinefabriek - Frill (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Mgła - With Hearts Toward None (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Imperceptum - Aeons of Saturnine Desolation (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Svarte Greiner - Drunk, Road, Tree (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Gnaw Their Tongues - Chambers of Tuam (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Sunn O))) - Solstitium Fulminate (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Sunn O))) - Dømkirke (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Sunn O))) - Oracle (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Skáphe - Skáphe (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Purna - Grachiel - (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Garry Bradbury - Panspermia Plus (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Bell Witch - Reaper (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Made of Teeth - Made of Teeth (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Emptyset - Skin (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Wacław Zimpel - Lines (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Claire M Singer - Solas (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Izabela Dłużyk - Soundscapes of Summer (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Surface Tension - Surface Tension (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Zebra a Mit - Laumès (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Anna von Hausswolff - The Miraculous (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Drab Majesty - The Demonstration (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                            Ákos Rózmann - 12 Stationer VI (FLAC, Boomkat)

Comment

• GucciAmen
                              • Sep 2014

Been going through a bit of a punishing phase myself as of late -- Midterm stress (I don't know..)

Ascended Dead - S/T (Highly recommend)
                              Fatuous Rump - Propagation of the Foul
                              Uncurbed - Keeps the Banner High
                              Pyrrhon - What Passes for Survival
                              Ruin - Drown in Blood
                              Phrenelith - Desolate Endscape
                              Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
                              Internal Rot - Mental Hygiene
                              Sarcofago - Inri (probably my favourite BM album right now)

Comment

• ian+
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
                                Mgła - With Hearts Toward None (FLAC, Bandcamp)
                                delete this and ask for a refund :)

Originally posted by GucciAmen View Post
                                Been going through a bit of a punishing phase myself as of late -- Midterm stress (I don't know..)

Ascended Dead - S/T (Highly recommend)
                                Fatuous Rump - Propagation of the Foul
                                Uncurbed - Keeps the Banner High
                                Pyrrhon - What Passes for Survival
                                Ruin - Drown in Blood
                                Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
                                Internal Rot - Mental Hygiene
                                Sarcofago - Inri (probably my favourite BM album right now)
                                Phrenelith is a crushing record, good choice.

my recent purchases, all vinyl:

Arkhon Infaustus - Passing the Nekromanteion
                                Blood Incantation - Starspawn
                                ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎