• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by brotzeit View Post
    Has anyone here substituted buying music to Spotify subscriptions? Found that it was more convenient.
    This is a nice philosophical topic for debate. Ownership culture of the old generation versus rent culture of the new generation (with exceptions on both sides, of course)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jap808
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      This is a nice philosophical topic for debate. Ownership culture of the old generation versus rent culture of the new generation (with exceptions on both sides, of course)
      Very interesting: hope I won't became too rhetorical...

What will the "new generation" touch or hold in their hand, when they'll became the new "old generation"? Bytes? Files? Facebook's "it happened today"? Old rental emails?

I mean: when I grew old (for me, when I had a son and begin to perceive the cycle of human life), memories crop up sometimes and they add sweetness to my life. But more intense physical pleasure is added to sweetness, when I see "Straight outta Compton" (the movie) and -after that- grab the NWA's "Straight..." original vinyl with my hand and play it on my 1200s.
      At the opposite, no physical pleasure added, when I play my old MP3s ripped from Napster (oh, the good ol' Napster days): only sweetness and good memories...

When I bought records, I could listen to less music than today (I bought 4-5 LPs a month), but I know this LPs very well. Now I could listen to all the music I dreamed of, but my mind is only capable to love the same 3-4 albums a month, not more: the other are fillers.
      Maybe it's just my mind that has too few RAM gigas for Spotify...

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jap808 View Post
        Very interesting: hope I won't became too rhetorical...

What will the "new generation" touch or hold in their hand, when they'll became the new "old generation"? Bytes? Files? Facebook's "it happened today"? Old rental emails?

I mean: when I grew old (for me, when I had a son and begin to perceive the cycle of human life), memories crop up sometimes and they add sweetness to my life. But more intense physical pleasure is added to sweetness, when I see "Straight outta Compton" (the movie) and -after that- grab the NWA's "Straight..." original vinyl with my hand and play it on my 1200s.
        At the opposite, no physical pleasure added, when I play my old MP3s ripped from Napster (oh, the good ol' Napster days): only sweetness and good memories...

When I bought records, I could listen to less music than today (I bought 4-5 LPs a month), but I know this LPs very well. Now I could listen to all the music I dreamed of, but my mind is only capable to love the same 3-4 albums a month, not more: the other are fillers.
        Maybe it's just my mind that has too few RAM gigas for Spotify...
        I agree about the pleasure of owning the physical object. You can read the lyrics easier - do young people even care about the lyrics anymore? I feel like they don't. But, the convenience of having everything at your fingertips is undeniable. I mean, as long as you have Internet signal. Because if you don't, you are fucked. Also, you don't own anything. The big companies do. You just pay them rent. Something about this does not sit well with me.

I had another conversation today about a similar topic - about how people don't have books anymore. Having books (and music/film in physical form) on your shelves is like your business card when someone comes to your house, they can see what you are interested in, start a conversation. Of course for this you need space. On the other hand, I suppose a young person can say that they have everything they need on their iPad - music/film/books. It is kind of awe-inspiring. Talk about minimalism!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• unwashed
          • Dec 2008

Has anyone here substituted buying music to Spotify subscriptions? Found that it was more convenient.
          Music --> Spotify, TV and Movies --> Netflix

What is your definition of an old vs new generation?

Still like the Flight Club quote "Things you own end up owning you" and I try to live a semi "minimalistic" lifestyle. Although quite hard with a hoarders background where all my stuff used to have "emotional" value.

As for media: I now do not need to worry about space for blu-rays/dvd's/cd's, who borrowed my cd's whatever and not returned it, scratches, disc rot, dusting the stuff. I went from cassette tapes and vinyl to cd's and VHS tapes to dvd's to blu rays. For owning ditigal media I now do not have to worry about illegal downloads, renaming filenames, removing unwanted downloaded crap, maintaining/syncing among many devices (every 2 years a new phone for example), updating libraries/playlists/coverflows/winamp settings/itunes crap. Also harddrive space doesn't have to be terrabytes anymore and stressing out about HDD's that went corrupt/crashed.

I have saved so much time I have wasted in the past with this hassle and stress, it's such a relief. Although I cannot watch niche stuff, lesser known or old anime, listen to game OST's etc. Going with streaming services and the time saved with it outweights it by far for me.

I do agree that in the old days going to record/cd shops and first listening to a cd before deciding to buy and having random chats in the stores with people and owners also was an experience and more social. I used to talk about what shit I bought and discussed it with people, nowadays that rarely happens. It made me more selective and formed my taste to search music and movies and checking it out and investigating about it. But I can also say it has limited me, becasue I could of course not skip through a lot like I do nowadays on Spotify/Netflix. And I took time to read through the booklets and that was nice and all. But still I wish I had these streaming services in the early 90ies though.

I still own a few cd's/dvd's/blurays for nostalgic sake, but got no real means to play it on but a playstation 4 haha.
          Grailed link

Comment

• rl82
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by unwashed View Post

Still like the Flight Club quote "Things you own end up owning you" and I try to live a semi "minimalistic" lifestyle. Although quite hard with a hoarders background where all my stuff used to have "emotional" value.

As for media: I now do not need to worry about space for blu-rays/dvd's/cd's, who borrowed my cd's whatever and not returned it, scratches, disc rot, dusting the stuff. I went from cassette tapes and vinyl to cd's and VHS tapes to dvd's to blu rays. For owning ditigal media I now do not have to worry about illegal downloads, renaming filenames, removing unwanted downloaded crap, maintaining/syncing among many devices (every 2 years a new phone for example), updating libraries/playlists/coverflows/winamp settings/itunes crap. Also harddrive space doesn't have to be terrabytes anymore and stressing out about HDD's that went corrupt/crashed.

I have saved so much time I have wasted in the past with this hassle and stress, it's such a relief. Although I cannot watch niche stuff, lesser known or old anime, listen to game OST's etc. Going with streaming services and the time saved with it outweights it by far for me.

I do agree that in the old days going to record/cd shops and first listening to a cd before deciding to buy and having random chats in the stores with people and owners also was an experience and more social. I used to talk about what shit I bought and discussed it with people, nowadays that rarely happens. It made me more selective and formed my taste to search music and movies and checking it out and investigating about it. But I can also say it has limited me, becasue I could of course not skip through a lot like I do nowadays on Spotify/Netflix. And I took time to read through the booklets and that was nice and all. But still I wish I had these streaming services in the early 90ies though.

I still own a few cd's/dvd's/blurays for nostalgic sake, but got no real means to play it on but a playstation 4 haha.
            to answer briefly " the medium is the message" (McLuhan)
            so surely the medium plays a role about the video, music,text, content.
            honestly I am in the opinion that the extreme marketing approach (as for the fashion) tend to let people to do not perceive the nature and the concept of a "product" in a full way, but just to take its "raw" side and consequently to do not capture the artistic piece in all its completeness.

Comment

• Anton
              • Oct 2014

I agree about the pleasure of owning the physical object. You can read the lyrics easier - do young people even care about the lyrics anymore? I feel like they don't. But, the convenience of having everything at your fingertips is undeniable. I mean, as long as you have Internet signal. Because if you don't, you are fucked. Also, you don't own anything. The big companies do. You just pay them rent. Something about this does not sit well with me.

I had another conversation today about a similar topic - about how people don't have books anymore. Having books (and music/film in physical form) on your shelves is like your business card when someone comes to your house, they can see what you are interested in, start a conversation. Of course for this you need space. On the other hand, I suppose a young person can say that they have everything they need on their iPad - music/film/books. It is kind of awe-inspiring. Talk about minimalism!
              Today people don't care about lyrics furthermore they don't even care about production or quality of music. Of course it's not everybody and there are many great bands and musicians out there, but I think for the average person the quality doesn't really matter anymore it's mostly about image, perception and and some core elements in the track/album. People have thousands of tracks readily available but they are barely familiar with them, some DJ's today play music that they hardly know because for the average festival visitor it's all about a thick kick and a huge drop every few minutes there is literally zero musical substance there, it's a similar situation in many other genres (Metal not too long ago was flooded with "breakdown" that were all about tight guitar sound and a machinelike drummer). Fortunately some people still appreciate quality and consume enough music that it allows the artist to continue creating.

Regarding books, I simply cannot understand how you can read a book on an iPad. The texture of the pages, the artwork etc' thats all a part of the experience, most of us spend a large portion of our day in front of a computer whether we're doing work or connecting with people. Why would you want to add another element of your life to a digital form, I think it's nicer to disconnect and enjoy whatever it is that you're doing. Today people meet for dinner and spend most of the time on their phone and barely look at each other or go to a concert and look at it through their phone because they "have to" record it, what can you except.
              Last edited by Anton; 03-03-2018, 02:45 AM.
              I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
              My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I'm with Anton, Unwashed - sorry ;-) But I totally get what you are saying.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• brotzeit
                  • Feb 2018

Well, I think it's also about physical versus digital copies. There are so many options these days and instead of settling down, younger generations tend to move places more often and thus the need for physical copies is burdensome somehow.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Well, I think it's also about physical versus digital copies. There are so many options these days and instead of settling down, younger generations tend to move places more often and thus the need for physical copies is burdensome somehow.
                    Perhaps, though studies show that milleanials stay at their parents house longer and at higher rates than generations before them.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by unwashed View Post

Still like the Flight Club quote "Things you rent end up owning you" and I try to live a semi "minimalistic" lifestyle. Although quite hard with a hoarders background where all my stuff used to have "emotional" value.
                      Reimagined for the new generation.

Something else I thought of - again in terms of quality, which fewer and fewer people seem to care about. Streaming, you can get the same picture, but not the sound, at least not if you have a good system. I am sure the sound is compressed, though perhaps with 4k streaming this will include the sound, too - I haven't done my research. But I will tell you that when I watch a Blu-Ray on my system, the Master-DTS sound is miles better than streaming.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Back to scheduled programming:

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love And Hate - vinyl
                        Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures - vinyl

It helps buying vinyl after measuring everything in the number of cappuccinos I forego.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

Back to scheduled programming:

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love And Hate - vinyl
                          Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures - vinyl

It helps buying vinyl after measuring everything in the number of cappuccinos I forego.
                          Did you setup something to play vinyl only or are you ripping them to a digital format and joining it with your library?
                          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                            Did you setup something to play vinyl only or are you ripping them to a digital format and joining it with your library?
                            Vinyl only. Wait, are you yanking my chain? :-) Nice to see you and interest1 back on the forum :-)

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Not at all, I noticed a lot of people buy vinyl but end up playing their rip 90% of the time because it is more convenient. They'll still do some special vinyl only but that is rarer.
                              Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                              http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Arkady
                                • Apr 2011

The sane middle ground in that case might be recording to Maxell Vertex or a comparable high-end tape via a proper deck; convenience of the medium without a perceivable sacrifice in quality or warmth.

Most lunatic audiophiles would give the mixtape approach a pass, but digitizing it is heresy. Although, most vinyl was mastered from digital source to begin with if it was cut after the 60s, so it's the method of delivery that's analogue at the end of the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎