• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Can Raf Simons Revive Minimalism?

By Eugene Rabkin

"When last year the Belgian designer Raf Simons was finally officially appointed as the creative director of Calvin Klein, the American brand known for its minimalist aesthetic, the fashion world was elated, and those of us in New York doubly so. The New York fashion scene has long been starved of creative talent of Simons’s caliber. And while the departed and highly underrated Francisco Costa has quietly done a brilliant job at the helm of Calvin Klein’s womenswear, he was never given the sweeping authority to oversee the entire brand. Simons will be doing everything, including crafting Calvin Klein’s overall aesthetic direction. But whether this will be a glorious return to Klein’s own minimalism remains to be seen. The even bigger question is whether minimalism can remain viable today.

That contemporary fashion, especially that caters to the young, is now largely driven by Instagram is no longer a subject for debate. Instagram allows designers to speak directly to the audience not only through their work, but through their lifestyle. One of the first designers to recognize this was Ricardo Tisci at Givenchy. He also quickly began tailoring his faux-goth aesthetic towards being Instagram-friendly, abandoning subtle details embedded into the clothing in favor of graphic prints on t-shirts and sweatshirts. These were immediately recognizable, becoming a branding exercise that cleverly stopped short of logomania. These products became wildly fashionable and commercially successful, and the brand’s consumers did not seem to mind that some of those sweatshirts cost not much less than a tailored Givenchy suit.

It did not take long for the rest of the fashion world to catch up to Tisci’s success. Hood by Air began putting together a New York version of what Tisci was doing in Paris and has quickly found commercial success. Then came the now ubiquitous Vetements, who began by building on the heritage of Martin Margiela, the minimalist par excellence, but quickly veered off into producing slogan-emblazoned sweatshirts.

The case of Vetements seems especially egregious in catering to the consumer who craves Instagrammable fashion. If you look at the first two Vetements collections, you will hardly find a logo or a graphic in them. Those collections mostly concentrated on deconstruction and attention to seamwork and silhouette. But after the brand’s ironic security jacket that said “Vetements” on it became its bestseller, the light bulb went on, and Vetements’s subsequent collections became heavy on graphics and slogans.

The rise of the so-called “street style” photography has also been spurred by Instagram. Why I put “street style” in quotation marks, is because it’s no longer anything of the sort. Long gone are the days when “The Sartorialist” Scott Schuman rode his bicycle around New York City, trying to spot the sartorially interesting on the street. Today, an army of photographers mobs every single fashion show or event and the attendees spend countless hours carefully preparing for their grand entrance. Advertising teams of fashion companies often influence what they wear. Spontaneity is out, status anxiety and marketing is in."

Read the entire article on SZ-MAG
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • Anton
    • Oct 2014

Raf has an opportunity to make a very big statement, especially in a place like CK. What I hope for, is that it will not turn to the overhyped online extravaganza. It's a natural development that brands will go towards designing cloths that look great on a digital screen(IG) just as much as in the past things were looking great in a printed magazine. With that being said, it seems to me that everything almost looks the same (apart from the more niche brands often discussed on SZ). If Raf will have complete freedom, and will bring his unique style to CK it will be a breath of fresh air today, unfortunately his interview with GQ didn't say too much about what he's planning.

"If you were a gallerist, you wore Helmut Lang or Jil Sander. If you were the artist in the gallery, you wore Yohji Yamamoto. And there was hardly a successful architect who did not own a black Margiela turtleneck." I think today you'll find specific styles as well, at least in the music scene, yet the current chosen brands a far away from the style and quality of Helmut, Jil, Yohji etc'. The new brands which many of are based on IG, are all about perception. Completely overpriced, low quality, the appearance as "should be" but there is no creative substance to the brand.

"Today, thanks to the social media everybody constantly needs to impress everybody else, a task formerly reserved for celebrities whose default job was to cater to mass taste. Social media, and Instagram in particular unleashed the forces of narcissism that are latent in all of us. Everyone potentially has a chance to become a celebrity with one’s own, easily quantifiable fan club, or so the popular thought process goes. This, of course means that the competition for attention is fierce and the adage “whoever shouts loudest wins” seems to be carrying the day." Fantastic paragraph.
    I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
    My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• Caetano
      • Apr 2014

Great text! Let us not forget that besides these designer brands which make instagrammable fashion, there are now millions of brands (not necessarily design-wise) that cater to people who want "basics with a twist". And these brands, or most of them, call themselves minimalist. I am talking about etudes, AMI or OAK.
      I guess the problem is not just minimalism not being viable anymore as the aesthetic force that it was at the end of the 90's/beginning of 00's, but minimalism turned into the notion of basics or normcore. This is for me the most outrageous.
      “Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain." William Faulkner

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Yes, I agree that there is a big difference between minimalist and basic (A.P.C., whatever).
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• clamence
          • Feb 2017

The idea of "Instagrammable" fashion is one that is the domain of the aesthetes, as such, as you note, it lacks any real substance beyond the aesthetics and the mere fact of it's design. This is also equally possible with minimalism, though, and one must be careful that any sort of minimalist renaissance is not an equally banal reductionist revival, as opposed to a truly nuanced and cogent design movement. That is the failing that one can more easily ascribe to so-called "maximalist" works (A la Vetements, Hood By Air, OFF-WHITE, etc) for the fact that once a graphical element is introduced, it often eliminates some of the universality or subjectivity to the value of the clothes, instead becoming a proclamation of what the piece is to mean, or how it is to be interpreted. Often, this falls flat, as very few of these proclamations are universally valued for the fact that they often allow little subjectivity, which is always an element that good minimalism allows for. This is not to say that it is impossible, however, merely harder to do, and it is a personal contention of mine that the desire to return to minimalism is the exact same desire that lead to it's abandonment in many ways; the sheer amount of boring work done under the banner of the movement causing the other side of the aesthetic tug of war to gain ground. As minimalism (Assuming, of course, it does) gains ground, and the output done under it's name becomes greater (With that, the name of the movement becoming associated with increasingly banal work), the desire for "maximalist" pieces will come back, and vice verse, one can assume, ad nauseam.

Furthermore, perhaps it is a tad disingenuous to associate the notion of "Instagrammability" immutably with that which is obvious to the most amount of people. There is ample such quality in the "avant-garde", as well as minimalist work. Never underestimate the ability of the self-serving aesthete to try and hashtag their way to the same ends via different means (Brands).

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Thank you for a thoughtful post. Valid points, all. Though I would say that the last time minimalism thrived, the field of fashion was much less noisy. It's not that easy to get noticed today, so while the return of minimalism is not impossible by any means, I'd say it's less likely.

Anyway, now that Raf has shown his first collection, it seems that he is more interested (at this point at least) to revive CK Jeans and underwear.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• FollowYourSeams
              • Apr 2012

Raf Simons for CK sounded like a match made in heaven tbh. The expectations were so high. It could have been a minimalist revolution, but the result was underwhelming. One has to wonder just how much creative control he actually has. This is Calvin Klein after all. It's arguably the most significant cultural cornerstone of American fashion, which is far more enticing to the big wigs than a big boring word like "minimalism".
              ...my inner voice resounding.............

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by FollowYourSeams View Post
                Raf Simons for CK sounded like a match made in heaven tbh. The expectations were so high. It could have been a minimalist revolution, but the result was underwhelming. One has to wonder just how much creative control he actually has. This is Calvin Klein after all. It's arguably the most significant cultural cornerstone of American fashion, which is far more enticing to the big wigs than a big boring word like "minimalism".
                He has a ton of creative control, believe me. He's been flying in Willy Vanderperre and Olivier Rizzo and their assistants almost every week from Europe. Imagine what that costs CK. It does not need to be minimalist across the entire brand, but historically that's what the mainline is famous for.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

He is going to take time to find his stride and to figure out what he wants to say.

Designing is not easy and designing for a brand with an already established identity even more difficult.

I liked the collection, but i also know it takes a good 3-4 season for any designer to build up BODY OF WORK that begins to show any kind of cohesive and consistently creative identity
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

That is true. Though you know what I can't figure out - on the one hand the pressure of the first collection for a house like this must be enormous, but on the other hand a part of me wonders if he's taking the whole thing on a ride a-la Slimane at YSL.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      That is true. Though you know what I can't figure out - on the one hand the pressure of the first collection for a house like this must be enormous, but on the other hand a part of me wonders if he's taking the whole thing on a ride a-la Slimane at YSL.
                      What Slimane did at YSL was shocking and sad. There are very few houses that have the archive and timeless signatures that a house like YSL possess. Slimane ignored all of them and produced collections commercial but with no depth or soul. It sold, but in the end to me it devalued the house greatly. The worse part is that few designers has the capability he had to produce exceptionally graceful work like he did in his first go round at YSL and what he did at Dior

Raf will be fine, I dont think he will do that. His work under his own name, then at sander and Dior tells me he will keep a certain style that is very fitting at Klein.

Klein and Halston were the two greatest American minimalist in terms of pure talent, Raf is a true spiritual heir to those two. He was not a good fit for Dior.
                      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• FollowYourSeams
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                        and designing for a brand with an already established identity even more difficult.
                        This to me is his his crucial weakness. He was brilliant at his position for Jil Sander because he was able to really help build on Sander's narrative. But at an enormous house like Dior his work was just so lackluster. I dunno...maybe I'm being overly critical of him, but I do often find the hype around him to be all talk and no trousers.
                        Costa remains, in my opinion, the best CK designer thus far. He was just versatile.
                        ...my inner voice resounding.............

Comment

• Nickefuge
                          • Nov 2014

What Slimane did at YSL was shocking and sad.
                          His work under his own name, then at sander and Dior tells me he will keep a certain style that is very fitting at Klein.

Klein and Halston were the two greatest American minimalist in terms of pure talent, Raf is a true spiritual heir to those two. He was not a good fit for Dior.
                          I wonder why people expected Slimane, whose signature aesthetic is Los Angeles Rock n Roll attire, to do something completely new at YSL while everyone’s perfectly fine with Raf executing his signature minimalist style at CK.

On a side not: will Raf’s designs trickle down to all Calvin Klein garments or is he only responsible for the runway pieces?
                          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                            I wonder why people expected Slimane, whose signature aesthetic is Los Angeles Rock n Roll attire, to do something completely new at YSL while everyone’s perfectly fine with Raf executing his signature minimalist style at CK.

On a side not: will Raf’s designs trickle down to all Calvin Klein garments or is he only responsible for the runway pieces?
                            He's responsible for creative direction of the entire company.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

What Slimane did at YSL was shocking and sad. There are very few houses that have the archive and timeless signatures that a house like YSL possess. Slimane ignored all of them and produced collections commercial but with no depth or soul. It sold, but in the end to me it devalued the house greatly. The worse part is that few designers has the capability he had to produce exceptionally graceful work like he did in his first go round at YSL and what he did at Dior

Raf will be fine, I dont think he will do that. His work under his own name, then at sander and Dior tells me he will keep a certain style that is very fitting at Klein.

Klein and Halston were the two greatest American minimalist in terms of pure talent, Raf is a true spiritual heir to those two. He was not a good fit for Dior
                              My biggest problem here is that Raf is not a womenswear designer. He never was. I don't know why fashion won't just recognize that and leave him the fuck alone. Well, I know why - money - but still....

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎