• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gilles View Post
    Gucci is necessary. We note the cyclicality of fashion, and the self-reactionary nature of trends. Gaud ('Maximalism') begets a rejection of gaud, this rejection ('Minimalism') begets a rejection of itself, and a return to form. As Baudrillard notes; "There is no continual progress in these fields: fashion is arbitrary, transient, cyclical, and adds nothing to the intrinsic qualities of the individual." Hence why an observation of it from the point of view most common in a forum such as this is most likely to take on such forms of critique. Gucci is fashion, Stylezeitgeist is antifashion. I tend to abhor the term, as it is bandied about in my experience, however, when I refer to Stylezeitgeist as antifashion, this is to say that it is opposed to the cyclicality and nature of trend and of transience, which are the hallmarks of fashion. Thus, when fashion is at such a point where it is not agreeable aesthetically to antifashion (An entirely different beast, the only similarity being that they are both rooted in clothes), of course there will be the need for such articles. Indeed, I detest Gucci, though this is mostly because I detest gaud (Hence why I am here), especially for it's own sake, which is what Gucci seems to be to me. However, I recognize that the very graphic and showy nature of Gucci has been manifesting in it's own ways for some time, and was necessary as a reaction to austerity and minimalist tendencies of the era preceding it - Sander, Karan, Klein, so on and so on. Gucci merely presents the most extreme aesthetic reaction to such trends, and as such, it may be used to critique the tendencies of this current era and mentality, hence the opening of the article noting the infantilism of Gucci: perfect for the age of infantilism in politics, art, etc.
    This is absolutely true.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Kaneda
      • Aug 2017

What the author fails to understand is fashion should be FUN! The reason Gucci has captivated the world over the past few years is simple: go stroll down 5th Avenue in NYC. It's a sea of sameness. Then you walk into Gucci and it's like arriving on another planet where the only boundaries are your imagination. Gucci is thriving because it SMASHES the sacred fashion world you are so eager to preserve. That snotty, uptight, pretentious world is dead...At least to the new fans of fashion...

Gucci is for the masses? Are you F#$king insane? You can't complain that a hoodie is $1,200 and then say it's being designed for the masses. On some level yes, it's being designed for the "kid" in all of us, that just wanted to wear whatever we wanted to...You sound like a parent that wants to force their kids to wear what they want...you think fashion is OBJECTIVE. It's not...It's subjective.

I find the new Gucci to be ridiculous and that's why I love it. Nobody buys the entire Style/Look they show during runways or online...you add a Gucci piece here and there and BOOM you have something fun going on.

What you fail to realize with all of your elitist attitude is this: clothes like this make people HAPPY! They are 100% for the people wearing them. The clothes give you color, attitude, swagger and an air about you that you just don' GIVE A F#$K what the old fashion guard like yourself thinks.

Nobody should even take a word of what you say seriously. Gucci is for the masses? They are priced for the elite with a style everyone loves. You probably hate Ferrari and Lamborghini too.

Comment

• Erich Fromm
        • May 2017

Originally posted by Kaneda View Post
        That snotty, uptight, pretentious world is dead...At least to the new fans of fashion...
        *fans of excellent marketing

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

What the author fails to understand is fashion should be FUN! The reason Gucci has captivated the world over the past few years is simple: go stroll down 5th Avenue in NYC. It's a sea of sameness. Then you walk into Gucci and it's like arriving on another planet where the only boundaries are your imagination. Gucci is thriving because it SMASHES the sacred fashion world you are so eager to preserve. That snotty, uptight, pretentious world is dead...At least to the new fans of fashion...

Gucci is for the masses? Are you F#$king insane? You can't complain that a hoodie is $1,200 and then say it's being designed for the masses. On some level yes, it's being designed for the "kid" in all of us, that just wanted to wear whatever we wanted to...You sound like a parent that wants to force their kids to wear what they want...you think fashion is OBJECTIVE. It's not...It's subjective.

I find the new Gucci to be ridiculous and that's why I love it. Nobody buys the entire Style/Look they show during runways or online...you add a Gucci piece here and there and BOOM you have something fun going on.

What you fail to realize with all of your elitist attitude is this: clothes like this make people HAPPY! They are 100% for the people wearing them. The clothes give you color, attitude, swagger and an air about you that you just don' GIVE A F#$K what the old fashion guard like yourself thinks.

Nobody should even take a word of what you say seriously. Gucci is for the masses? They are priced for the elite with a style everyone loves. You probably hate Ferrari and Lamborghini too.
          I'd hate Ferrari if they decided to put tigers and shit all over them in rainbow colors. Also "mass" is a relative term. Compare to Rick Owens, Gucci is mass. Compared to Gucci, Michael Kors is mass. The best-selling item of last year according to the recent analysis of Business of Fashion and Lyst was a Gucci beach sandal, not the $1200 t-shirt. So, don't tell me Gucci is not mass. Now go have fun - no one is stopping you, you fucking bimbo.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• julian_doe
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I'd hate Ferrari if they decided to put tigers and shit all over them in rainbow colors. Also "mass" is a relative term. Compare to Rick Owens, Gucci is mass. Compared to Gucci, Michael Kors is mass. The best-selling item of last year according to the recent analysis of Business of Fashion and Lyst was a Gucci beach sandal, not the $1200 t-shirt. So, don't tell me Gucci is not mass. Now go have fun - no one is stopping you, you fucking bimbo.
            Preach, Faust.

Ed Hardy was not fun the first time around. This second round, it is still vapid and obnoxious.

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

I was thinking they give the air that you buy flamboyant shit because it's expensive, seemingly luxurious and very recognizable.

this is generalizing, of course, but we are talking about the phenomenon in general.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Erich Fromm
                • May 2017

They are 100% for the people wearing them.
                *for the people selling them.

Comment

• monster
                  • Aug 2009

Fun? People here used to wear high military boots with low insteps which make your feet agonize in pain as a summer shoes to go; pants with crotches so low, that it's untrivial to get into a bus wearing them; leather jackets which leave bruises all over your body; jumpsuits which turn simple physiological acts into adventure. All this fun and happy rhetoric is out of place, we here are used to some serious pain.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                    • May 2008

And the results are in:

Fashion’s Hottest Brands and Top Selling Products in Q2

It’s official. Gucci is the hottest fashion brand on the planet. New data analysed by BoF in partnership with search platform Lyst — which tracks 4.5 million data points per hour from over 65 million annual consumers, 4 million products and 12,000 brands — found that in the second quarter, the jewel in Kering’s crown remains front of mind — with the largest share of wallet — for consumers globally.
                    Gucci rose three places in the ranking between April and June 2017, overtaking Yeezy and Vetements, which ranked in second and third place respectively. There were no less than four Gucci products in the 10 best-selling products globally, with the brand’s GG Bloom slides topping the list overall.

In a new series, BoF and Lyst crunch the numbers to bring you the definitive list of the highest performing fashion brands and products, quarter by quarter.
                    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

It's all because of the funzies though!
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Kaneda
                        • Aug 2017

Well I was in Gucci today on 5th Avenue and it was packed. People are loving this new look. It's definitely not for everyone. It reminds me a lot of RL's Rugby Line. Very bright. Lots of patches. Customizable stuff. And just like Rugby, most people that buy it can't really pull off the look. You need to be a special kind of asshole to wear this new Gucci. Thank god I am :)

Comment

• byhand
                          • Dec 2011

Alessandro Michele's instagram feed is more interesting than his designs for Gucci. It all becomes weirder when one gets a sense of where he is finding inspiration. Tough to reconcile the Gucci product line with the glories of antiquity that appear to preoccupy Alessandro. It's being translated through a peculiar filter for Gucci. It's also causing a tidal wave of copying from practically every design house trailing behind Gucci in profitability.

Comment

• nobodycansaveus
                            • Apr 2018

Could you link Sufi's reply, couldn't find it.

Comment

• Glennphilips
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2022

Safety is paramount when working at heights, and extension ladders offer fantastic stability and support. I feel confident using mine, knowing that it's designed to keep me secure. this link

Comment

• nimra
                                • Dec 2023

I dont know I think they are pretty great at what they do.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎