• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erich Fromm
    • May 2017

Third-party production

Hey,

Im currently in 11th grade and working on my portfolio to apply to CSM next year. I have quite a lot of concepts and designs which I would like to produce, but my sewing skills don't go further than making a t shirt. Can anybody point me into the direction of any good companies that do complex production of clothing for someone like me? Preferably in central Europe...

Thanks!
  • TriggerDiscipline
    • Apr 2013

I highly suggest you learn how to sew
    Originally posted by unwashed
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Originally posted by Ahimsa
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• goldsamxo
      • Jan 2017

I agree with Trigger - teach yourself how to sew & learn steps like pattern-drafting. If you plan on going to school - they won't just let you in because you can draw. My portfolio for Parson's was 3 drawn pieces / 12 pieces I made in the past & a multiple combination of other things.I started sewing when I was in 11th grade, and I'm 19 now and in Parsons. Only around 3 years but it's been a lot of learning.
      Originally Posted by Latoya Sizemore View Post

It would be great if one cane wear little bit loose T-shirts with some great prints like marijuana leaves, cannabis, weeds etc.
      Most of the youngsters will like to wear fashionable and chill clothing, which give a great looks to youngsters.

Comment

• ihsniim
        • Sep 2015

Not disagreeing with others, as I also believe that you should teach yourself how to make clothing (pretty bad sentiment/work ethic to automatically look for someone else to do something for you if you don't know how to do it), but you can get into a lot of a schools without ever sewing something. I was accepted into Parsons with a portfolio containing absolutely zero garments, whereas my FIT portfolio was basically the opposite. I think getting into a CSM Foundation course doesn't necessarily require you to know how to sew either.

Honestly, even after you get into these universities, it's not like you just magically learn how to sew, even if they teach you. You're going to have to be an autodidact and motivate yourself to learn. Design isn't just pretty colors and printing and embellishing; you have to know the subtleties too.

Comment

• Erich Fromm
          • May 2017

Thanks for the responses. I am at the moment in the learning process of sewing, but some of my desgins I know for a fact I can't make myself until the application process is completed. Obviously I'd like to do everything myself and I'll certainly try.

ihsniim, only because my sewing skill is still rudimentary does not mean I don't know what design is. Sorry if I sound agitated.

Comment

• tornaremavencer
            • Aug 2012

It might be worth it to rethink applying this year, and go to a sewing/patternmaking course for a year.

If you will come up with interesting designs of your own, then knowledge of finnishing/sewing/patternmaking will be necessary for the reason that you'll need that knowledge to explain how to make your design to the third party - otherwise you will leave it to their judgement and you won't be happy with the result.

I was at the same point as you a few years ago, wanted to go to CSM, but then I went to learn sewing and patternmaking and started interning - I never regreted it.

Comment

• Erich Fromm
              • May 2017

Originally posted by tornaremavencer View Post
              It might be worth it to rethink applying this year, and go to a sewing/patternmaking course for a year.

If you will come up with interesting designs of your own, then knowledge of finnishing/sewing/patternmaking will be necessary for the reason that you'll need that knowledge to explain how to make your design to the third party - otherwise you will leave it to their judgement and you won't be happy with the result.

I was at the same point as you a few years ago, wanted to go to CSM, but then I went to learn sewing and patternmaking and started interning - I never regreted it.
              That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the response, I'll certainly be on the lookout for courses.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎