Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick Owens Men's SS18 - Paris

Wowowow. Love this collection.

By the way, may I ask if anyone know what are those footwear? I heard that Rick will not collab with Adidas anymore starting from this collection?

eh i dont love it but its not bad. theres options for lots of people now ; phat pants (which i still love), short shorts , slimmer cut pants if one doesnt like the rave trash pants . i dislike that turtle green color though. as always i love the luxe technical fabrics. i get that not everyone who wears rick is some old goth and hes got more consumers to entertain that are mainstream and look at his clothes as just "cool high fashion " but id love an all black collection again . all in all its a nice collection with ideas from prior seasons so i appreciate the consistency , i just dont love this like i did moody or mastodon. still, theres quite a few individual pieces that i want. he has a knack for staying rick despite the other stuff sent down runway

i think we saw rick at his best, integrating the flourishes of seasons past back into the values his work is based on: concentrated, on point, monumental. there is a restraint and functionality to the sculpted pieces that got lost in the blurred looks of walrus and glitter. in this regard, dirt is a fitting title: short and impactful.

I don't wear colors, ever/at all.

This is the most amazing collection I have seen so far for SS 18. If there is a concern about the green that was used, rest assured that each piece will more than likely be produced in black as well.

In regards to presentation, it seems like Rick has returned to a sober color palette (yes, including the green), and a better choice couldn't have been made given the earthy tones of the runway (pale stone, clear water). This isn't loud (like Walrus or Faun) it is a luxurious display of comfort passing through the runway with a foreign elegance and a modest stoicism.

Maybe I am being poetic/philosophical...but that is the feeling I think Rick is brilliantly trying to inspire.

Really liking the shoes. Looks sorta like a weird, future-esque space sneaker-boot thing. The structural tops in those thin silk fabrics looks incredible. The new trousers (or looks like the Astaires but with a higher waist) is interesting too.
    As much as I'd like to see it as well, just don't think Rick's going to make an all black collection again like he's done in the past, but who knows... Still, his use of colour, especially here feels very matured and elegant.

I like it overall.
    Last edited by vah; 06-22-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Close-ups of the shoes:

I really liked this collection and its presentation – the colors, the location and the decision to ignore all existing architecture and just build this huge construction on top of it.

Plus the song fit perfectly

"In these times, of hate and pain
    We need a remedy, to take us from the reign
    ealousy, a little greed
    I've been thinking, of what i need
    I need a freak"

Btw, does anyone know if it’s true he parted ways with Adidas?
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

I love the lace ups. Loved the collection over all. Not really crazy about the short shorts but I think for those looks he was trying to put emphasis on the tops. The giant pannier bags were interesting. Hoping they gracefully double as shoulder bags. Cropped worker jackets look great over those stretched astaires. I love being able to see his evolution. The rise (high waist, long fly front) on those astaires is very similar to the walrus trousers just with a slimmed leg. Cropped, paired with chunky sneakers, and denim jacket is a nice(slight change. One very minor thing, not big on the branding on the shoes. Not a deal breaker, but I don't think it needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex1017 View Post
    I love the lace ups. Loved the collection over all. Not really crazy about the short shorts but I think for those looks he was trying to put emphasis on the tops. The giant pannier bags were interesting. Hoping they gracefully double as shoulder bags. Cropped worker jackets look great over those stretched astaires. I love being able to see his evolution. The rise (high waist, long fly front) on those astaires is very similar to the walrus trousers just with a slimmed leg. Cropped, paired with chunky sneakers, and denim jacket is a nice(slight change. One very minor thing, not big on the branding on the shoes. Not a deal breaker, but I don't think it needs it.
    I agree with the back of the shoe branding, ever since he started with mastodon I don't want to showcase what I'm wearing by a "logo" but by the overall look.

collection's growing on me more i review it but im probably in the minority of not really feeling the footwear. btw , where are the old regulars that used to post here like shucks, etc ? i took a long break while i was in grad school (i quit the program! ) and when i come back i feel like i havent seen them on here

Surely something intriguing about this and it does hook me much harder than the past few seasons. Standouts include the all-green leather look, the layered looping tops and the braided carabiner slings.

Perhaps that intrigue is owed to the collection being more wearable off the runway than recent offerings, but overall thereís a blandness to the tailoring that doesnít sit well with me as per usual. The organza certainly doesnít help, nor does the scrotal elephantiasis pant style he canít seem to leave behind at this mysterious affluent ditch-rave no one is invited to. The cropped jackets are sold in the merch booth there. The footwear is too much for me which is saying a lot; looks like someone tossed Vibskov, Y-3 and a plastic tonka truck in a blender.

I understand a presentation is a theatrical offering but itís gotten tough for me to take seriously in his case. Always amusing to read his inspirations as well; Iím sure Rick will delve into this show being inspired by an obscure Lithuanian submarine opera from the 20s but it really just looks like Gigeresque Alien lines refit to cloth and coupled with aimlessly overdone silhouettes. Iíll have to investigate it in motion, but this period in his aesthetic doesnít communicate any elegance to me.

I'm suprised to see very positive reviews here, as well as youtube comment sections. I was very disappointed on first look during the live stream, but after looking longer, reading the press release, and taking a bit more time to absorb it, there's definitely things to appreciate it.

still feels like a less successful version of cyclops with a lot of unnecessary accessorizing and outlandish shoes. I really miss the strange but more "serious" shoes from crust and anthem etc, before the adidas and plinth boots and these. I mean I just don't know why it is necessary to pair a very extreme, but clearly semi formal pant with absolutely ridiculous and branded sneakers. Imagine how much more clean and luxurious this would look without silly fanny packs and shoes. But of course, he loves to be a little vulgar and "transgressive."

Always appreciate being challenged though and seeing his constant evolution.

Favorite looks:
    The tiny single open-strappy tank folded up over the shoulder. And the short double layered glitter tunic.
    The pants are interesting, but I am much more excited about the walrus trousers I just got in the mail today!

Quote Originally Posted by jogu View Post
    collection's growing on me more i review it but im probably in the minority of not really feeling the footwear.
    I feel you. I'm loving the move away from the themes of the past few seasons, but the shoes only work for me being covered up by the wide leg outfits. The scrunched misshapen leather, contrasted with the big blockey soles; Im getting Fisher-Price plastic kids costume vibes...

Otherwise this is the extraterrestrial/desert kind of direction , Like in his film for the CFDA awards, I want to see the SS seasons explore.

I'm looked a lot to fill the iconography mainly in the first look, where we see a green militarism and pieces that may represent some marine animal something of the type, i think is imposing a lot of militarism with this green could have presented other colors for that s / s...gor example bbs that made something more citrus
    My favorite looks are 8-10 I liked this pants, it looks like the kelling joke drummer uses the clip '' love like blood ''also liked the suprematism of the 15 seen a lot in 'limo'. I also miss the shoes featuring for example in 'crust' or 'gleam'.
    These shoes really did not prevent me.
    But the show was cool(no much elegant), the things he sells end up not reflecting in every collection for example the scraping of shoes and other classic pieces.
    Last edited by Aguinaldo; 06-23-2017 at 05:47 PM.