• Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion Week Ramblings S/S 2018 - Part 1+2

S/S 2018 FASHION WEEK RAMBLINGS – PART 1: THE SHOWS
    by Eugene Rabkin

Paris was sweltering as my plane landed, and the city’s continuing unbelief in air-conditioning has put a damper on everything. Mercifully, my first show, Haider Ackermann, was held in the well-ventilated grand ballroom of the InterContinental hotel. The almost oppressively opulent setting was a good match for a collection that pulled Haider further into his fantasy world, in which everyone seems to do nothing but lounge in expensive hotel rooms wearing expensive, flowing clothes that in lesser hands could be mere pajamas. But Ackermann is a talented designer, and he usually knows how to elevate his clothes through color, ornament, and just enough structure to give them a dose of reality. Sadly, not this time, as we were treated to an overload of stripes, harem pants, and an (actually refreshing) injection of lilac, which veered squarely into unreality. They lacked the edge that is usually present in Ackermann’s clothes. And though the fractured patterns Ackermann showed might have meant to represent our fragile souls as mere ruins covered by silk and cashmere, their louche luxury was so overwhelming that they failed to move me.

The fact that the clothes were showed on young willowy boys added to the cognitive dissonance. It would behoove the collection to be modeled by male equivalents of Tilda Swinton (is that possible?). Of course, one of the fundamental paradoxes of fashion is that runway clothes are modeled by those who rarely can afford them, and certainly today a minority of Western youths can. But perhaps Ackermann is (unwittingly?) targeting the nouveau riche of the Middle East and Asia? It’s hard to tell.

Continue here
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fixed the link. Let me know what you think!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• akkeri
      • Jul 2012

Always good to read your thoughts, Faust! I couldn't believe those jackets of Yohji's – totally unexpected but precisely my style.

Comment

• Anton
        • Oct 2014

Faust, wonderful writing as always, many thoughts and questions as I was reading the article.
        Looking forward to part 2!
        I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
        My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Thank you. Part 2 - showroom report

https://www.sz-mag.com/news/2017/06/...t-2-showrooms/

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gawkrodger
            • Jun 2013

always a good report. I really want to see that 3/4 length M.A.+ coat now!

Comment

• negroygris
              • Aug 2013

Incredible report Faust as i read it I felt as if I was there with you experiencing every show and showroom. As for MA+ being the last, I can't help to imagine that the Perfume/Cologne has to have some leather, silver and wood scent, would love to have been there.
              We hope that people will begin to see beyond the superficial surface of things and understand that there is far more to a design than just the way it looks on the outside.

-GEOFFREY B. SMALL

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gawkrodger View Post
                always a good report. I really want to see that 3/4 length M.A.+ coat now!
                It was sick. Thanks, guys.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎