• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Raf Simons S/S 18 New York

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Attached Files

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

RafSimmons__0257.jpg

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

etc. etc. what do you think? i think the joy division/new order stuff is shameless cash-grab, trading on his past glory and high resale value.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
              • Jun 2009

i ignore that new order / joy div bs. id never wear anything with a print like that. tbh i cant even listen to it at this point. when cd's were still around i was looking thru some stuff at a shop and this gnoob gothish kid was next to me and i could hear him playing the same new order song over n over on his giant headphones while he was flipping thru the new order vinyls.
              anyway this collection is pretty dope, a total win imo and probably my fav for ss18. there are some very strong fits and interesting pieces like those shirt things that tie on the side. my only gripe , and this has nothing to do with raf, is i dont find it easy to incorporate non rick with my closet full of rick so im always hesitant to buy other designers stuff unless i want to try a different direction . thus i prob wont buy any of this :(

ps. is it just me or do i see rick-ish type stuff up here? like the pants with a shirt neck opening attached to the waist, or the long loin cloth he started in "gleam"
              Last edited by jogu; 07-12-2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• Erich Fromm
                • May 2017

I kinda miss the late 90s minimalist, sharp tailoring, darker Raf. His cultural references were certainly interesting when it was a bit more fresh but now it feels kinda tired and played out to me. Not a huge fan tbh and I def. agree with Faust on the cash-grab.

Comment

• Erich Fromm
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by jogu View Post
                  ps. is it just me or do i see rick-ish type stuff up here? like the pants with a shirt neck opening attached to the waist, or the long loin cloth he started in "gleam"
                  I guess Raf can really do what he wants to for his shows at this point, just like a lot of the Rick runway stuff is pretty unwearable (for me anyway).

Comment

• Nickefuge
                    • Nov 2014

I have absolutely no problem with Raf channeling some of his older collections, other designers do it as well. Raf is amongst other things known for his graphics, so of course he’d reuse some of them. I still can’t wrap my head around the theme with the lightsaber umbrellas and LCD displays next to checkered hats and the whole Chinese setting though. But maybe some sort of concept will pop up to tie it all together. Does anyone know what this collection is called?
                    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Erich Fromm
                      • May 2017

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                      I have absolutely no problem with Raf channeling some of his older collections, other designers do it as well. Raf is amongst other things known for his graphics, so of course he’d reuse some of them. I still can’t wrap my head around the theme with the lightsaber umbrellas and LCD displays next to checkered hats and the whole Chinese setting though. But maybe some sort of concept will pop up to tie it all together. Does anyone know what this collection is called?
                      Apparently the collection was inspired by blade runner, which I can kinda see with the setting and those huge coats. The problem I have with the graphics is not the chanelling per se but the arbitrariness of them. It's a bunch of graphics from different collections thrown in there for, imo, little reason. How are Joy Division graphics related to bladerunner? Maybe it's also due to styling, but for me it's not working that well and I wonder what impact the pieces will have on their own.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                        • Nov 2014

Maybe he’s trying to "de-grail" some of his older pieces a bit. And I don’t think that’s such a bad idea as most of the mint or wearable condition iconic pieces hang in some stylist’s or collector’s wardrobe or worst of all in an archive where they won’t get worn so much. Younger fashion enthusiasts will never have the chance to wear them, why not bring them back in a different form?

And as always, the garments will look totally different when seen in person, so I’m not too concerned with the wearability.
                        Faust, will you visit the showroom?
                        Last edited by Nickefuge; 07-13-2017, 02:24 AM.
                        "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                        -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Nickfudge, if that's indeed the thought process, then I like it! No showroom in NY as far as I know. People still buy in paris, I believe, but I could be wrong.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Lex1017
                            • Jul 2015

I am not a huge Raf guy but I am actually digging this. Styling and layering looks cool. I think the idea that Rick spear headed people wearing jump suits with the tops worn down might be a stretch. Styling them/constructing them backwards maybe, but mechanics own that lane. Unless you are referring to the cyclops double shirt things in which case my mistake. The loin clothes I didn't really put together. The clasp jackets look awesome. Favourite looks involve the black cropped trousers (after another quick review those trousers look great in general) with the big chunky sneakers. I may be in the minority but styling jackets backwards (unless its actually constructed to be worn backwards) seams a little lazy.

Comment

• negroygris
                              • Aug 2013

I really enjoy the concept of the show, but i do not see me wearing much of this that could go hand in hand with my wardrobe. Although, as bad as it might sound, I am really digging the black umbrella with the neon fluorescent light, that will be perfect for a snowy day in Toronto to not be a target of incoming traffic crossing the street in Chinatown.
                              We hope that people will begin to see beyond the superficial surface of things and understand that there is far more to a design than just the way it looks on the outside.

-GEOFFREY B. SMALL

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎