X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unwashed
    • Dec 2008

Colette Paris closing

Haven't seen this posted here somewhere yet or might have missed it?
    Article here. This is/was one of my go-to shops along with L'Eclaireur among a few others every time I visited Paris. Kind of sad they'll close, it was always interesting just browsing there...
    Grailed link
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

Originally posted by unwashed View Post
    Haven't seen this posted here somewhere yet or might have missed it?
    Was definitely discussed somewhere, can't remember where tho.
    Originally posted by unwashed View Post
    it was always interesting just browsing there...
    Yes, but I also never did anything else there, ie. never bought a single thing. Surely good this existed, but I for one won't be missing it much...
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I am far from lamenting its closure, as those of who read my "Oh, no, where will the fashion tourists by their trinkets now?" FB post saw. It was unquestionably a great store for many years, but it's really descended into some kind of a Disneyland. Some questions abound, especially why wouldn't they just sell it? Maybe they weren't making enough money, contrary to hundreds of people buying magazines. I know HNWI who wanted to buy fashion on the second floor, the one no one goes to, and she was repeatedly told that it's sold out. Then why keep it on the dress forms?

I know of now person who would not want to sell a successful business, especially one with such a brand. Fuuma told me that apparently in Paris your lease can be transferred for money, like clubs do with football players, so it would make sense if Sarah got a nice chunk of change from Kering just for that and decided to call it quits.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        I am far from lamenting its closure, as those of who read my "Oh, no, where will the fashion tourists by their trinkets now?" FB post saw. It was unquestionably a great store for many years, but it's really descended into some kind of a Disneyland. Some questions abound, especially why wouldn't they just sell it? Maybe they weren't making enough money, contrary to hundreds of people buying magazines. I know HNWI who wanted to buy fashion on the second floor, the one no one goes to, and she was repeatedly told that it's sold out. Then why keep it on the dress forms?

I know of now person who would not want to sell a successful business, especially one with such a brand. Fuuma told me that apparently in Paris your lease can be transferred for money, like clubs do with football players, so it would make sense if Sarah got a nice chunk of change from Kering just for that and decided to call it quits.
        I recently heard the answer but forgot it again (sorry) my memory is hazy but it had to do with money and yeah Kering ka-ching!

Honestly concept stores are now everywhere so, yeah, not as relevant as 10 yrs ago. Very "international" selection so something you could get anywhere/everywhere.
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• kattah
          • Feb 2018

with the accessibility of technology and fashion world-wide and with increasing prices on a global scale, it was only a matter of time. personally, i didn't feel Colette was anything special. i've visited twice due to the recognition the store held but meh, it didn't speak to me as anything unique with items that i could find online for cheaper. but perhaps, it did have that Parisian appeal.... "oh i visited Colette when i was in Paris, c'est chic" barf

Comment

• stagename
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by kattah View Post
            i've visited twice due to the recognition the store held but meh, it didn't speak to me as anything unique with items that i could find online for cheaper
            You need to put things in perspective, Colette opened in 1997 and contributed to redefine retail. The reason why you think it didn't add anything special is because shops caught on and copied them. You comparison can be likened to listening to MJ in 2018, not knowing who he was, and saying that he just sounds like a pop artist.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by stagename View Post
              You need to put things in perspective, Colette opened in 1997 and contributed to redefine retail. The reason why you think it didn't add anything special is because shops caught on and copied them. You comparison can be likened to listening to MJ in 2018, not knowing who he was, and saying that he just sounds like a pop artist.
              I don't think anyone is denying Colette's importance. What it has become in the recent years is another story.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎