Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anton
    • Oct 2014

I've been playing Guitar and Piano for about 20 years now, I've played in bands, toured, had classical musical education, played Fusion, Metal, Blues etc'. In the past 5 years I've been mostly writing electronic, Big Beat and music for picture (those are usually based more on synths and computers/drum machines) and also DJing.

Most DJs today are producers, as its almost impossible to make a living solely writing electronic music, many of them also incorporate live sections in their show(Stimming, Stephan Bodzin etc') other go completely live in various ways. It is also quite rare to see a successful DJ who doesn't produce at all, those who don't are mostly from the 80's & 90's apart from some rare cases.

Similar to most industries there is garbage and there is quality, Mathew Jonson and Steve Aoki may have the same label as DJs and both produce music but you can't compare the two although they seem to do the the same thing. There are levels in musical production and musicianship whether it's classical and modern instruments or electronic. Same goes for DJs, to take people on a journey and present unique music and make it work is not an easy task, you can clear a dance floor quite quickly although "you're just twisting knobs and switching records".

Culturally and "Sub-Culutrally" things differ immensely, although you can find pretentious idiots and overall assholes everywhere. Some DJs and electronic music producers feel as if they are gods and need to be treated that way, same goes for many guitarists and singers. With that being said there are many genres where overall people are nice and don't have this sense of self importance, I don't know how it happens but culturally you can see remarkable changes in attitude in genres that are quite close to each other, maybe there is popularity element that effects it among other things. On a more psychological point, it also really depends who is around them, guitarists can be assholes until Guthrie Govan walks in the room, who is one of the nicest people and also on a level of his own, you'll find the same with DJ & Producers.

The collaborations between SZ style brands and these producers are quite easy to understand, Jonny White from Art Department recently collaborated with Lumen at Umbra, Black Astroid works with Rick Owens and the list will continue to expand as the crowds and their taste are quite close and both are really popular right now (Berghain which spouse to be an "underground" club is probably the worlds most famous one).

The debates never end, Electronic vs Instrumental, Digital vs Analog, what matters in the end is if the music is good or not.
    Last edited by Anton; 09-19-2017, 07:48 PM.
    I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
    My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

The fact that your signature comes from one of the utmost purveyors of analogue music says it all (thumbs up)
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
        • Nov 2014

If you liked "Electronic v Instrument Music" on SZ, stay tuned for ...

– MacOS v Windows
        – Rolling Stones v Beatles
        – sugar v stevia
        – iPhone v Android
        – toilet paper facing outwards v inwards

... and many more to come!
        "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
        -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Arkady
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
          – toilet paper facing outwards v inwards
          You monster!

Comment

• DudleyGray
            • Jul 2013

It's weird to me to think that in 2017 this is a debate. Like, I want to make sounds that feel new to me, and I just don't see how that can be done without electronics. All my current favorite albums of this year that I feel are genuinely innovative are using electronics or both: Mount Kimbie, King Krule (eventually), Ariel Pink, Liars, Blanck Mass, Cornelius. I know a lot of us on here are musicians, we all play instruments, we all write and record stuff. I can't imagine that any of us don't know their way around a DAW to a workable extent. It kind of begs the question, why haven't we remixed each others' stuff, you know, export some stems, give up creative control to some random poster, see how other SZ members reinterpret your music, just throwing that out there, but anyways that's besides the point. Isn't what's important is that you decided where the kicks and snare go rather than whether you actually set up a mic and hit the drums with a stick like some monkey?

There's the other side to it, though. I was at Guitar Center the other day to buy an APC40 mkII, and I was playing around on their machines. There are literally machines/programs out there where you can just hit some random buttons and something musically usable comes out. I find that offensive as much as some might find DJ-ing (at the very basic level) offensive. It sounded solid, and it was completely arbitrary, like what we do is just not special at all. It's of course irrelevant to whether I keep making music, but definitely directly against my desired approach. Eventually, ideally, I'd like to understand sound design well enough to accurately portray the ideas in my head by my own hand, as everything I create feels like an imitation that is two steps behind. Intent and execution are everything or it all seems worthless.

Also, do you guys fuck with Ableton? I just got Live Standard, and it's life-changing. If the argument is electronic vs live instrument, then Ableton is like an optional Hegelian synthesis. My life has become completely consumed by just that program and the APC controller. I'll probably get Push eventually once I feel more proficient with the program, but I'd recommend it to anyone who makes music alone to sell a pair of pants or whatever and get it.

(start clip at 43:30)

I mean, come on.
            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• elizabethbutler
              • Dec 2017

Thanx for that video. It is really cool!
              Hi to everybody here!

Comment

• Dropt
                • May 2009

…confusing…

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎