X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • upsilonkng
    • May 2010

Electronic v Instrument Music Debate

for an entire industry based loosely on individualism and hand made quality (atelier) it seems to only support music that is automated and as individual as each single Big Mac... maybe if we're lucky we'll get a Rick Owens x Steve Aoki celebration party at the Standard next?
  • Arkady
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
    for an entire industry based loosely on individualism and hand made quality (atelier) it seems to only support music that is automated and as individual as each single Big Mac... maybe if we're lucky we'll get a Rick Owens x Steve Aoki celebration party at the Standard next?
    God I know, if only we could scare up some dickhead wailing on an electric guitar we could reach peak authenticity.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Arkady View Post
      God I know, if only we could scare up some dickhead wailing on an electric guitar we could reach peak authenticity.
      LOL. I like both instrument-made and electronic, is that a crime?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Arkady
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        LOL. I like both instrument-made and electronic, is that a crime?
        Hahaha I do as well, and the SZ 10 year did quite a good job of integrating both.

Comment

• upsilonkng
          • May 2010

Hahaha I do as well, and the SZ 10 year did quite a good job of integrating both.
          excellent ass kissing.
          while its true most guitarist are dicks its also 100% true that dj's are mostly dicks that have no reason to be dicks because they're not good at anything other than playing other people's music and pretending to be busy when everyone knows they arent doing anything but playing a playlist from their ipad.

simple question, when did the people that hang up the paintings start getting more than the painters??

Comment

• Arkady
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
            excellent ass kissing.
            while its true most guitarist are dicks its also 100% true that dj's are mostly dicks that have no reason to be dicks because they're not good at anything other than playing other people's music and pretending to be busy when everyone knows they arent doing anything but playing a playlist from their ipad.

simple question, when did the people that hang up the paintings start getting more than the painters??
            One would assume this set goes for the top end of both the dickheads who play others' music at similar speeds while pretending to do something and the dickheads slapping on a rhythm guitar to moronic slam poetry while pretending to do something. Neither is more refined by nature, or mutually exclusive, so it's nice seeing friends successfully book both to capture an aesthetic.

Most gallery art isn't worth the screws it was hanged with; that's a tough one.

Edit: to be fair to Tale of Us, you're also talking about a project with over 100 production credits.

Comment

• julian_doe
              • Mar 2013

One would assume this set goes for the top end of both the dickheads who play others' music at similar speeds while pretending to do something and the dickheads slapping on a rhythm guitar to moronic slam poetry while pretending to do something. Neither is more refined by nature, or mutually exclusive, so it's nice seeing friends successfully book both to capture an aesthetic.

Most gallery art isn't worth the screws it was hanged with; that's a tough one.

Edit: to be fair to Tale of Us, you're also talking about a project with over 100 production credits.
              Can you explain to me how to "slap on a rhythm guitar"? Perhaps the rhythm guitar is an instrument which I have NEVER heard of. Any examples of musicians who "slap on a rhythm guitar to moronic slam poetry while pretending to do something" would be greatly appreciated. I am genuinely curious.

Comment

• Arkady
                • Apr 2011

*the rhythm guitar is probably more accurate; it's a role, not an instrument. To slap on the guitar one would typically use their hands, although I've seen more esoteric approaches including power tools and genitalia per the running dick theme.

Comment

• Arkady
                  • Apr 2011

We should probably stop shitting up the BBS thread with a teenage artistic credibility debate, though. A tool's a tool and not much more until it's in the right hands.

For what it's worth ToU sounded great in the space and context of a fashion week party -- I'm not a fan in general -- and I think the room would've cleared out in about 5 seconds if they were replaced with hyper-technical math rock, fusion jazz, post-punk wailing or anything else difficult to play and difficult to socialize over.

Comment

• julian_doe
                    • Mar 2013

*the rhythm guitar is probably more accurate; it's a role, not an instrument. To slap on the guitar one would typically use their hands, although I've seen more esoteric approaches including power tools and genitalia per the running dick theme.
                    "Slapping on *the rhythm guitar" makes no sense either, because you are correct in stating that "it's a role, not an instrument".

Yes, this is a genuinely unnecessary argument given the thread that it is under. I would also say that it is important to make sure you know what you are talking about before you try to offend somebody simply because their opinion bruised you.

Comment

• Arkady
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by julian_doe View Post
                      "Slapping on *the rhythm guitar" makes no sense either, because you are correct in stating that "it's a role, not an instrument".

Yes, this is a genuinely unnecessary argument given the thread that it is under. I would also say that it is important to make sure you know what you are talking about before you try to offend somebody simply because their opinion bruised you.
                      I formally and respectfully apologize for pointing out anyone can be soulless in their craft, especially to the international synod of internet dudes who think guitar is sick.
                      Last edited by Arkady; 09-18-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                        • Jul 2013

To upsilon's picture vs hangers point, not necessarily in the same musician vs DJ context (I like both), but I do miss when fashion was indicative of the music and not vice versa. Designers shouldn't be the rock stars; they can't fill the same role. Fashion serves to separate and exclude, whereas music lets you know someone else also has those feels, be it Elliott Smith or Underworld.
                        bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                          • Apr 2013

We should probably stop shitting up the BBS thread with a teenage artistic credibility debate, though. A tool's a tool and not much more until it's in the right hands.
                          Probably? How about lets not pollute this thread with unrelated garbage, is this the best discussion that anyone can do in terms of Boris Bidjan Saberi? Dissapointing. Not targeting anyone in specific but come on guys..
                          Originally posted by unwashed
                          Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                          Originally posted by Ahimsa
                          I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Move this to a new thread, as it is a debate perhaps worth having. My own opinion - I'll give upsilon's statement credibility in terms of live sets where DJs don't have all that much to do, but to say that DJs who actually make music instead of simply playing other people's music are not musicians is blatantly false.

Also, perhaps some definitions are due before this continues. There are DJs and there are people who make electronic music - and they can be very different things. Plenty of great musicians make music by electronic means - to say that they are not musicians just because is ridiculous.

P.S. On the thing that started it - I've never heard of Tale of Us before, as my interest in techno is cursory, but I was not impressed with the set.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Move this to a new thread, as it is a debate perhaps worth having. My own opinion - I'll give upsilon's statement credibility in terms of live sets where DJs don't have all that much to do, but to say that DJs who actually make music instead of simply playing other people's music are not musicians is blatantly false.

Also, perhaps some definitions are due before this continues. There are DJs and there are people who make electronic music - and they can be very different things. Plenty of great musicians make music by electronic means - to say that they are not musicians just because is ridiculous.

P.S. On the thing that started it - I've never heard of Tale of Us before, as my interest in techno is cursory, but I was not impressed with the set.
                              Tale of Us has a collaboration with 11 by bbs where they produced a full line of merchandise, to be sold at antonioli ibiza, and apparently the hats instantly sold out. It would be no surprise to see ToU playing at the store because it is inherently bbs.
                              Originally posted by unwashed
                              Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                              Originally posted by Ahimsa
                              I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎