• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by href:90a7 View Post
    As a fashion student, I think complaining about him not having any fashion education isn't relevant. To be a designer you just need to know how to think creatively; knowing how to draft a coat pattern becomes unimportant (not to me, but to most.) Parsons' current curriculum is so self motivated that after picking up a few books on pattern-making and spending a lot of time working on designs, concepts, and materiality, you'll probably be at a similar place as most fashion students.
    Considering that Parsons has continually lost the FIT vs Parsons Fusion design show, I would disagree. While I was attending I could visibly see, from a seated position, how poorly constructed the Parsons' student's garments were. With the likes of Gucci producing $25,000 polyester dresses, I would surmise that most people can't identify what constitutes a well made garment anymore, or perhaps they just don't care.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• ian+
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ahimsa View Post
      With the likes of Gucci producing $25,000 polyester dresses, I would surmise that most people can't identify what constitutes a well made garment anymore, or perhaps they just don't care.
      They just don't care, everything is about the looks and the hype not the quality.
      ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• href:90a7
        • May 2017

Considering that Parsons has continually lost the FIT vs Parsons Fusion design show, I would disagree. While I was attending I could visibly see, from a seated position, how poorly constructed the Parsons' student's garments were. With the likes of Gucci producing $25,000 polyester dresses, I would surmise that most people can't identify what constitutes a well made garment anymore, or perhaps they just don't care.
        Maybe what I said came off wrong. I was emphasizing what you are saying. We construct garments here because we must, but the designing portion has a much bigger hold on the teaching here. People have extremely different experiences from prof to prof; some hardly learning any technical aspects. I believe quality should be held to much higher standard in the classes. I try to show it in my work but it can easily be overshadowed by extreme designs or concepts of others. After visiting a brand's studio for a few days, I realized how lacking in craftsmanship and perfection the school is. I really think people do not care anymore. A higher price tag is all they need to believe it's better made than Zara.
        Originally posted by Alesha
        Does CCP make pizza?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Jeroenr View Post
          Ian's version is still better.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• SafetyKat
            • Aug 2014

I think the prime reason for this is because most of the FIT design professors have pretty much banned "Deconstructionism" as valid student project submissions. If a student insists on doing it anyway, they better be damn sure its an absolutely astonishing creation. You can guess why they implemented this policy.

Comment

• catheterauthor
              • Jun 2018

I mostly see people complaining and lamenting this appointment ("the dude hasn't even studied fashion")... well that's the new taste of the masses. It isn't as if we were secretly hopping that the masses should dress according to our SZ standards.
              unblocked games: happy wheels

Comment

• Nickefuge
                • Nov 2014

As cheesy as it sounds: It’s not Virgil who’s to blame. It’s capitalism.
                "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                  As cheesy as it sounds: It’s not Virgil who’s to blame. It’s capitalism.
                  In the final analysis, yes. Even in pre-final analysis, you can't blame him for being appointed to LV - LV asked him.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎