• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

NOTES ON A (HIGHSNOBIETY AND VETEMENTS) SCANDAL

by Eugene Rabkin

'Last week the influential streetwear and youth culture news website Highsnobiety published an article claiming that Vetements has been losing clout with fashion forward consumers. It cited several store buyers, who wished to remain anonymous, about lukewarm customer demand that has led to slashing orders and putting the once hyped brand’s goods on sale, something that Vetements tried to avoid by keeping their production runs small. The buyers blamed the overinflated pricing on Vetements’ part, and consumers shifting their taste towards Gvasalia-designed Balenciaga.

The article might have gone relatively unnoticed had it not apparently offended Demna Gvasalia, who posted a retaliatory statement on the Vetements’ Instagram.

To add fuel to the fire, the industry trade newspaper Women’s Wear Daily published an article with the following quote from Guram Gvasalia, Demna’s brother and Vetements’ CEO, “It is sad to see the state of journalism today. In the era of click-baits, using the name of our company in the article is a click-bait itself, and even more so when it’s mentioned in a negative headline. To the disappointment of all the haters, we would like to declare that Vetements is in the strongest creative and financial state it has ever been. We are definitely not going out of business and the speculations about our sales figures are not only false and defamatory in its nature, but also simply ridiculous. Sadly some journalists today are more concerned with writing fake news and reposting shocking headlines rather than checking facts to show the full picture. It is especially upsetting to see some fashion writers, fueled by their personal agendas, attacking young independent brands while sucking up to big conglomerates for their advertisement budgets. Serious news outlets seem to be turning into tabloids and gossip blogs that impose somebody’s opinion and made-up stories as true facts.”'

Read the full article on SZ-Mag

Original Highsnobiety article here
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • Law
    • Dec 2013

Je suis Vetements.

Comment

• julian_doe
      • Mar 2013

That was another great article, Faust.

As a journalist (and the way any journalist should) you are able to write an article which educates, instead of one which demonizes and scorns.

It is so blatant how today those who yell "Fake News!" at any story which speaks negatively about them are the ones who are unable to produce any facts which disprove the claim being made. If Demna is really confident that his brand is satisfying his customers, and that such is his main goal, he didn't need to go on a rampage against journalists that spoke about concerns brought up by people in the fashion industry about the brand. It is my opinion that people react this way when the data presented supports the statement made by a journalist/writer.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by julian_doe View Post
        That was another great article, Faust.

As a journalist (and the way any journalist should) you are able to write an article which educates, instead of one which demonizes and scorns.

It is so blatant how today those who yell "Fake News!" at any story which speaks negatively about them are the ones who are unable to produce any facts which disprove the claim being made. If Demna is really confident that his brand is satisfying his customers, and that such is his main goal, he didn't need to go on a rampage against journalists that spoke about concerns brought up by people in the fashion industry about the brand. It is my opinion that people react this way when the data presented supports the statement made by a journalist/writer.
        Thank you. It's hard to say what's going on without seeing the actual figures, but you are not the first to express this sentiment.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ian+
          • Dec 2011

There is a comment next to the article's photo saying in CAPS:

YOUR ENTIRE BRAND IS ABOUT HYPE - THERE IS NO PSEUDO JOURNALISM WHEN IT COMES TO OPINION, BUT IN YOUR CASE WE CAN TALK ABOUT PSEUDO FASHION

I 'll drink to that.
          ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• julian_doe
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Thank you. It's hard to say what's going on without seeing the actual figures, but you are not the first to express this sentiment.
            I couldn't agree more, and I am glad that you mentioned in the article that Vetements did not share these.

The lack of financial evidence is also the reason why I stated that this is my opinion.

Thinking about it, it kind of reminds me of a president who refuses to do as much as release his tax returns and screams "Fake News!" to journalists.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
              There is a comment next to the article's photo saying in CAPS:

YOUR ENTIRE BRAND IS ABOUT HYPE - THERE IS NO PSEUDO JOURNALISM WHEN IT COMES TO OPINION, BUT IN YOUR CASE WE CAN TALK ABOUT PSEUDO FASHION

I 'll drink to that.
              Let's say we were fortuitous with the timing of that screen grab...
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by julian_doe View Post
                I couldn't agree more, and I am glad that you mentioned in the article that Vetements did not share these.

The lack of financial evidence is also the reason why I stated that this is my opinion.

Thinking about it, it kind of reminds me of a president who refuses to do as much as release his tax returns and screams "Fake News!" to journalists.
                I said that in the article.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

I am glad i came to fashion when I did.
                  When I decided to come to America and pursue a career as a designer. Ghesquiere had just been moved from making funeral Clothes to heading up Balenciaga.
                  Chalayan was Magical. Miguel Adrover on the strength of two infinitely creative collections, had risen to dizzying heights of NY fashion.
                  McQueen was giving us a kind of fashion at both his own house and Givenchy, that was beautiful, poetic and scary at the same time. One of his garments, like those of the Icon Gaultier, had more ideas that some of these modern designers entire collection.

Theyskens had just dressed Madonna, and was creating the kind of Gothic dreamy universe that made Edward Scissors hands seen pedestrian.
                  Oh, for those days!

Bless, Bouddica, Boyd. Mortesa Saifi, House of Sabah, AsFour, Andre Walker, Kuki de alvertes was at Girault Totem, taking on Paris fashion by Bringing us a slew of talents, like Wilhelm, Icarus, etc
                  Ann's clothes had soul, and the quality was impeccable

Rei was just unleashing a ton of new talents on the World from Junya to Tao.............Helmut Lang was god in NY. Taxis carried his name and there was no hype in his fame

Henri Bendel was Hip, they had their open see where some creative upstart would be discovered and given a chance to shine.
                  I used to go to Barneys...who had one of the best buyers and supporter of New talent in Julie Gilhart.
                  Some GREAT boutiques existed with buyers and sales reps who were passionate about the clothing that was made, sold an worn.
                  people actually took the time to DRESS UP., Streetwear was URBAN WEAR and was about 4 rungs below High Fashion...........

WHAT HAS BECOME OF FASHION?
                  democracy entered........Collaborations started with High and Low, and instead of Diffusion from the top down taking place, Osmosis happened, and now we have one big banal mess that makes me want to vomit.
                  at one point Linsay Lohan was designing Ungaro........what the !!!!!##??
                  Now Virgil is at LVMH..................

Its time for a return of the Cult of the GREAT DESIGNER, Le Grand Couturier. Fashion needs a leader, a designer so great and so influential that he pulls his peers higher and weed out the bullshitters.............................
                  Ive got so much things to say right now..........so much things to say
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎