X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ian+ View Post
    Boris can't be Rick, he hasn't proved he is bold enough for such a move and honestly I don't think he wants to. The thing for Boris is to become great again within the universe he has created. I may be in the minority here, but I find his last collections rather boring.
    I understand your position, but the problem here always come down to resources
    I think rick was and is very fortunate that his business structure and the resources available to him allowed him a kind of freedom of thought and creativity to do what he does

A lot of designers are judge on their creative output and rightly so, but it takes a lot to make the decisions as to what to make and how to present it and often this is decided by resources.
    Also, rick Did women swear first before he did mens. Most of the designers discussed here its the other way around
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• haydn
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      No designer can be the next Rick without designing womenswear. Raf is the great exception here, but even he didn't really come on to fashion's radar until he began designing women's at Jil Sander.
      Very true.
      It's also easy to forget how commercial Rick is / always was. As out there as his runway collections are becoming, he still produces a vast amount of very wearable and desirable clothing that looks as good on the rich older ladies who buy the wrap leather jacket at Saks as the hybpeasts in full Drkshdw loooks. I dont know of many designers who can pull this off as successfully as Rick and maintain the momentum as long as he has.

For Raf - I still think he peaked at Jil Sander. His last womens collection was sublime.

Comment

• julian_doe
        • Mar 2013

First of all, thank you Faust, Zam, and everyone else who contributed to my post.

Let me clarify that by "the next Rick", I am referring to the next designer who will remain independent and true to his own concept regardless of what the fashion season demands.

BBS does (although very scarce) womenswear, but I don't think that he will be as revolutionary as Rick Owens has been to fashion.

In regards to the finesse which most of us demand from our designer pieces, I hope that CCP and BBS will keep doing what they are doing.

But, I hope that the members of this very niche community also demand the artistry which has gone into the construction of beautiful garments, and that we can all ignore the idiocy happening at Dior and Balenciaga.

Sorry for rambling, but this is more than a hobby to me. I think fashion is sincerely my passions manifested in physical form.

Comment

• monster
          • Aug 2009

But post-modernism died as early as the beginning of this decade and was replaced with meta-modernism, wasn't it? And if everything was possible during post-modernism era as a part of an ironical game with meanings and forms, which was in some kind as elitist as a true-fashion of good old days, now everything is possible as a new sincerity of some kind. "Sounds good, doesn't work", because people aren't as sincere as their symbols - they are still shitty, lazy, narrow-minded and hypocrite persons and on top of that now have all the rights to not even try to become better, because everything is possible, fashionable and cool. Capitalism won again and now not only everything sells, but sells to everybody - as effortless as it never was.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by monster View Post
            But post-modernism died as early as the beginning of this decade and was replaced with meta-modernism, wasn't it? And if everything was possible during post-modernism era as a part of an ironical game with meanings and forms, which was in some kind as elitist as a true-fashion of good old days, now everything is possible as a new sincerity of some kind. "Sounds good, doesn't work", because people aren't as sincere as their symbols - they are still shitty, lazy, narrow-minded and hypocrite persons and on top of that now have all the rights to not even try to become better, because everything is possible, fashionable and cool. Capitalism won again and now not only everything sells, but sells to everybody - as effortless as it never was.
            A but unrelated, but I am quite flabbergasted by unanimous support for Nike using Koepernik to advertise their goods. No one asks "must everything be monitized?" Capitalism always wins, indeed.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎