Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Kiko Kostadinov

  1. #1

    Default Kiko Kostadinov

    I figured I would start a Kiko thread seeing as he posted here in the yohji threads before his first collections. He is nominated for a LMVH award so I believe this is a good time to start a thread.

  2. #2

    Default

    “Consumers should be much more critical and not distracted by social media “campaigns”; they should be able to make their own mind up and choose clothes with real beauty or substance. The press should have a more critical, honest voice that acts as a megaphone, making sure that fashion is judged by the designer’s skill, not their social media presence. - Kiko

    I feel this quote is very relevant today in our social media obsessed world. Myself I have chosen to not participate as I cling to the past and hold on to what is near and dear to me in fashion.

  3. #3

    Default

    The problem I have with this quote, is that its the right thing to say but not inline with what I perceive as his very trend/fashion oriented clothing

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supercilious View Post
    The problem I have with this quote, is that its the right thing to say but not inline with what I perceive as his very trend/fashion oriented clothing
    I feel like if you sift through the shit, there's quite a bit of material to be found that proves he is actually one of the more talented designers of this era. His latest collection at LFW to me was a particularly strong outing, and I for one look forward to seeing Kiko come into his own a bit more in his upcoming works.

  5. #5
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,736

    Default

    I have not been impressed by what I've seen, though I wish him well (even though I kicked him off SZ because he was being a bitch, but it was a long time ago and let bygones be bygones).
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Ok, didnt know the guy, so checked him out. Checked the mens spring 2018 and the women fall 2019. This doesn't impress me at all.

  7. #7

    Default

    Kiko is not a bad designer by all means, hope he could come into his own in coming collections. I have some of his stuff therefore I could tell he has the talent.

    its fascinating at this early stage, it seems like he has quite a following.

  8. #8

    Default

    weird to have a shitty reaction towards his work,

    hes by far one of the most talented designers to come from the current zeitgeist/generation, the mackintosh collections were also very strong in general, especially the first one.

    its weird to have such an adverse reaction like "this doesnt impress me at all" when the brand is making such power moves at such an early stage, such as appointing a very creative and talented duo for their women's line. there are other contemporaries where if you break down what they are making, they are like a theme park brand with the same garments in different "themes". the math is there with this brand, the concepts and backing are solid and maybe its not goth but its a respectable brand in a vast swamp of uninteresting development and this is just the beginning.

    my question is now what is worthy and new?
    Quote Originally Posted by unwashed View Post
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

  9. #9
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
    weird to have a shitty reaction towards his work,

    hes by far one of the most talented designers to come from the current zeitgeist/generation, the mackintosh collections were also very strong in general, especially the first one.

    its weird to have such an adverse reaction like "this doesnt impress me at all" when the brand is making such power moves at such an early stage, such as appointing a very creative and talented duo for their women's line. there are other contemporaries where if you break down what they are making, they are like a theme park brand with the same garments in different "themes". the math is there with this brand, the concepts and backing are solid and maybe its not goth but its a respectable brand in a vast swamp of uninteresting development and this is just the beginning.

    my question is now what is worthy and new?

    My reaction is from my personal experience of the work I've seen in stores. Now you can tell me that what most stores buy is watered down stuff, and I won't argue.

    I haven't seen the Mackintosh stuff. I've seen the Asics - whatever. What you say about early stages I don't buy at all. It's just hype moves much faster than before. Look at Ambush - total garbage and she has a collab with Nike now.

    I am not going to lower my standards just because everyone else is - end of story. What's good and new? I'll take Abasi Rosborough over Kiko any day.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  10. #10

    Default

    A collaboratilon with Nike is by no means an indication of talent – see Virgil Abloh.
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

  11. #11

    Default

    To back-up Faust's point... ambush is also the jewelry designer for Dior, which holds much more weight than any Nike collaboration. And her work is not very good, to put it nicely. Anyway, sorry, this is off topic.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post

    I am not going to lower my standards just because everyone else is - end of story. What's good and new? I'll take Abasi Rosborough over Kiko any day.

    then what can abasi do to get more out there then, because ive never even seen this mentioned outside of NYC tbqh
    Quote Originally Posted by unwashed View Post
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

  13. #13
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
    then what can abasi do to get more out there then, because ive never even seen this mentioned outside of NYC tbqh
    Get the right press. London fashion press is notoriously cliquey - they virtually never criticize anything that's coming out of London. I mean, like, NEVER. It's very incestious over there. And also they have big independent press - Another, Daze, i-D that will support you pro bono, because they understand that lifts the reputation of the entire London scene. Nothing of the sort happens in New York. A) We have no big indie press to speak of B) Everything else is pay for play. Brands here rise in spite, not because of the press. If you don't hire big PR and pay them a lot of money, no one simply bothers. It's the truth.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
    then what can abasi do to get more out there then, because ive never even seen this mentioned outside of NYC tbqh
    take into consideration that the European Press and market does a better job of supporting European based designers than NY/ US does
    there is a reason why GBS and even Rick Owens who are Americans are based in Paris/ Europe.

    Look at most American that are at the forefront of fashion, they carry more European Brands than they do American ones. that does not happen in Europe/ Japan
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................


    Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    We have no big indie press to speak of
    Faust, have you thought about filling this spot?
    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
    -Paris Hilton

  16. #16
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nickefuge View Post
    Faust, have you thought about filling this spot?
    We are in our own way.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  17. #17

    Default

    The Womens is not designed by him ,but the Fanning Sisters Laura and Deanna Fanning

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    My reaction is from my personal experience of the work I've seen in stores. Now you can tell me that what most stores buy is watered down stuff, and I won't argue.

    I haven't seen the Mackintosh stuff. I've seen the Asics - whatever. What you say about early stages I don't buy at all. It's just hype moves much faster than before. Look at Ambush - total garbage and she has a collab with Nike now.

    I am not going to lower my standards just because everyone else is - end of story. What's good and new? I'll take Abasi Rosborough over Kiko any day.
    Could you please provide some more detail of why Kiko can be comparable to Ambush? I feel that this is a bit of a strawman argument. I feel that Kiko as a young designer is putting quite a bit of detail into his clothing for instance the triple dart pants or his use of synthetics I feel that he and A cold wall two young designers are using synthetic materials and sportswear in a unique way that holds it apart from the Off Whites and the
    Virgil crowd. I will pre-face this to say that Samuel Ross and A cold wall started pretty poorly from my opinion. Is the disdain for these brands the leveraging of commerciality for you?

    I am really interested in your insight because I am quiet a fan of Kostadinov's work and find him to be brilliant. I would love to discuss this in greater detail.

  19. #19
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,736

    Default

    I was only comparing in terms of hype - giving Ambush as an example of hype not equaling good design. I think Kiko is a better designer. In a way Ambush is not a designer at all - just another scene girl who decided to capitalize on her fame. I was at the press preview of her last collection a couple of weeks ago - a total Helmut Lang rip-off put through a streetwear filter.

    I actually hate that Kiko uses so many synthetics. They are horrible to the touch and bad for the planet. At least he could use synthetics that feel good to the touch, though I do understand that he may not necessarily have money for high-end materials.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •