X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zambot
    • Jan 2018

Kiko Kostadinov

I figured I would start a Kiko thread seeing as he posted here in the yohji threads before his first collections. He is nominated for a LMVH award so I believe this is a good time to start a thread.
  • Zambot
    • Jan 2018

“Consumers should be much more critical and not distracted by social media “campaigns”; they should be able to make their own mind up and choose clothes with real beauty or substance. The press should have a more critical, honest voice that acts as a megaphone, making sure that fashion is judged by the designer’s skill, not their social media presence. - Kiko

I feel this quote is very relevant today in our social media obsessed world. Myself I have chosen to not participate as I cling to the past and hold on to what is near and dear to me in fashion.

Comment

• supercilious
      • Apr 2014

The problem I have with this quote, is that its the right thing to say but not inline with what I perceive as his very trend/fashion oriented clothing

Comment

• Xander
        • Aug 2018

Originally posted by supercilious View Post
        The problem I have with this quote, is that its the right thing to say but not inline with what I perceive as his very trend/fashion oriented clothing
        I feel like if you sift through the shit, there's quite a bit of material to be found that proves he is actually one of the more talented designers of this era. His latest collection at LFW to me was a particularly strong outing, and I for one look forward to seeing Kiko come into his own a bit more in his upcoming works.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I have not been impressed by what I've seen, though I wish him well (even though I kicked him off SZ because he was being a bitch, but it was a long time ago and let bygones be bygones).
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jeroenr
            • May 2016

Ok, didnt know the guy, so checked him out. Checked the mens spring 2018 and the women fall 2019. This doesn't impress me at all.

Comment

• shawnchowyun
              • Dec 2016

Kiko is not a bad designer by all means, hope he could come into his own in coming collections. I have some of his stuff therefore I could tell he has the talent.

its fascinating at this early stage, it seems like he has quite a following.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                • Apr 2013

weird to have a shitty reaction towards his work,

hes by far one of the most talented designers to come from the current zeitgeist/generation, the mackintosh collections were also very strong in general, especially the first one.

its weird to have such an adverse reaction like "this doesnt impress me at all" when the brand is making such power moves at such an early stage, such as appointing a very creative and talented duo for their women's line. there are other contemporaries where if you break down what they are making, they are like a theme park brand with the same garments in different "themes". the math is there with this brand, the concepts and backing are solid and maybe its not goth but its a respectable brand in a vast swamp of uninteresting development and this is just the beginning.

my question is now what is worthy and new?
                Originally posted by unwashed
                Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                Originally posted by Ahimsa
                I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
                  weird to have a shitty reaction towards his work,

hes by far one of the most talented designers to come from the current zeitgeist/generation, the mackintosh collections were also very strong in general, especially the first one.

its weird to have such an adverse reaction like "this doesnt impress me at all" when the brand is making such power moves at such an early stage, such as appointing a very creative and talented duo for their women's line. there are other contemporaries where if you break down what they are making, they are like a theme park brand with the same garments in different "themes". the math is there with this brand, the concepts and backing are solid and maybe its not goth but its a respectable brand in a vast swamp of uninteresting development and this is just the beginning.

my question is now what is worthy and new?

My reaction is from my personal experience of the work I've seen in stores. Now you can tell me that what most stores buy is watered down stuff, and I won't argue.

I haven't seen the Mackintosh stuff. I've seen the Asics - whatever. What you say about early stages I don't buy at all. It's just hype moves much faster than before. Look at Ambush - total garbage and she has a collab with Nike now.

I am not going to lower my standards just because everyone else is - end of story. What's good and new? I'll take Abasi Rosborough over Kiko any day.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nickefuge
                    • Nov 2014

A collaboratilon with Nike is by no means an indication of talent – see Virgil Abloh.
                    "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                    -Paris Hilton

Comment

• applecrisp
                      • Jun 2013

To back-up Faust's point... ambush is also the jewelry designer for Dior, which holds much more weight than any Nike collaboration. And her work is not very good, to put it nicely. Anyway, sorry, this is off topic.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post

I am not going to lower my standards just because everyone else is - end of story. What's good and new? I'll take Abasi Rosborough over Kiko any day.

then what can abasi do to get more out there then, because ive never even seen this mentioned outside of NYC tbqh
                        Originally posted by unwashed
                        Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                        Originally posted by Ahimsa
                        I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

then what can abasi do to get more out there then, because ive never even seen this mentioned outside of NYC tbqh
                          Get the right press. London fashion press is notoriously cliquey - they virtually never criticize anything that's coming out of London. I mean, like, NEVER. It's very incestious over there. And also they have big independent press - Another, Daze, i-D that will support you pro bono, because they understand that lifts the reputation of the entire London scene. Nothing of the sort happens in New York. A) We have no big indie press to speak of B) Everything else is pay for play. Brands here rise in spite, not because of the press. If you don't hire big PR and pay them a lot of money, no one simply bothers. It's the truth.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

take into consideration that the European Press and market does a better job of supporting European based designers than NY/ US does
                            there is a reason why GBS and even Rick Owens who are Americans are based in Paris/ Europe.

Look at most American that are at the forefront of fashion, they carry more European Brands than they do American ones. that does not happen in Europe/ Japan
                            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Nickefuge
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              We have no big indie press to speak of
                              Faust, have you thought about filling this spot?
                              "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                              -Paris Hilton

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎