• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfie
    • Mar 2019

New British/European avant garde designers

Hey,

So has anyone seen any up and coming British or European avant garde brands that they like the look of? I'm interested to see what's coming up next.

Who's getting your creative juices going and why?
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

No one. Unless you count Craig Green, but I don't think he's up and coming anymore - depends on your point of view. I look at Charles Jeffrey, Wales Bonner, Martine Serre, Namacheko, Kiko Kostadinov, etc. and I just don't get what people see in them. But I am (almost) always open to changing my opinion. I certainly don't want to come off as if I don't like anything new...

Which ones do you like?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• RoboManer
      • May 2019

My favourite is Nicolas Ghesquière, he's genius!
      New quotes every day at http://myqyotes.co/

Comment

• mmsix
        • Sep 2016

I like Wales Bonner and think she's evolved with every season.
        Yet I don't own any piece of her and don't know about the quality.

Seeing the latest collection of Cottweiler (https://www.businessoffashion.com/ar...-goes-cruising) I also think that they've the potential to bring their tailoring+sportwear approach to another level.

Comment

• Alfie
          • Mar 2019

Thanks for your thoughts! Im gonna take a look. Keep them coming!
          I'm a Paul Harnden fan personally, but looking for something new.

Comment

• Monumentalism
            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by mmsix View Post
            I like Wales Bonner and think she's evolved with every season.
            Yet I don't own any piece of her and don't know about the quality.
            Although I agree with you, I'm not 100% sure I'd consider her avant-garde per se. I think a lot of her garments look like they'd take the luxe-tailoring approach if anything.

Comment

• clay
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Alfie View Post
              Hey,

So has anyone seen any up and coming British or European avant garde brands that they like the look of? I'm interested to see what's coming up next.

Who's getting your creative juices going and why?
              I just started following the dude John Skelton on IG. Pulls heavily from period clothing, makes his own fabrics and has just enough eccentricity to keep it interesting and unique.

Comment

• clay
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by clay View Post
                I just started following the dude John Skelton on IG. Pulls heavily from period clothing, makes his own fabrics and has just enough eccentricity to keep it interesting and unique.
                Also Melitta Baumeister was picked up by DSM a while back. I like her clean, techy and over sized take on things. She also is a minimalist which is close to my heart.

Comment

• Errantman
                  • Jul 2019

I like Skelton a lot; especially, the recent collab he did with Oliver McConnie. In that same vein, there's JM Ribot; who I also like.

Honestly, I don't know much about the UK or Euro scene. I follow a small group or individual from China and Japan. There's a real push for a GBS, Dawson, Harnden, and the like clothing: handmade, imperfect, hand-dyed with local dyes, very raw material. I've always been a sucker for that and I love it to all death.

Comment

• clay
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Errantman View Post
                    I like Skelton a lot; especially, the recent collab he did with Oliver McConnie. In that same vein, there's JM Ribot; who I also like.

Honestly, I don't know much about the UK or Euro scene. I follow a small group or individual from China and Japan. There's a real push for a GBS, Dawson, Harnden, and the like clothing: handmade, imperfect, hand-dyed with local dyes, very raw material. I've always been a sucker for that and I love it to all death.
                    I am with you on all those guys😉

Comment

• clay
                      • Sep 2006

I am with you on all those guys😉
                      Also I just came across this cat Stefen Cooke. There seems to be some interesting thoughtful clothing. Yet it has a feel of this modern, anything goes vibe that many, many of these new designers have. I hope it levels out the concept and quality ( I have not handled the clothing though).

Comment

• jap808
                        • Dec 2012

Thoughts on Tsolo Munkh?
                        She makes female clothes, but some outerwear looks "unisex" and pretty interesting:
                        https://dadmoscow.com/tsolo-munkh-1/...h-nomads-parka

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
                          • Apr 2013

ive been wearing a lot of Sagittaire A funnily enough from china, interested in Ernest W Baker not sure where the designers reside but some production is in italy and portugal, from korea theres PostArchiveFaction, korea/us there is Blackmerle.

from japan/nyc there is Kozaburo, japan only Soshiostuki, maybe Shinya Kozuka, midorikawa..

Emily Bode's work is incredible also from USA....

a lot of my interest is not necessarily from Britain or Europe which is actually something that i noticed from just making this list, just wanted to share hope it sparks discussion
                          Originally posted by unwashed
                          Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
                          Originally posted by Ahimsa
                          I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• supercilious
                            • Apr 2014

Pretty interested in new work from Christopher Nemeth-- being pretty young I wasn't super aware of his old stuff until recently. I have no idea who is behind it though

Kozaburo is pretty interesting too, I haven't heard much of the backstory and am curious to see how the brand plays out over time. Really dig the "3d" cutting, not so much the tshirts, nor do I understand the motivation there. Garments feel really high quality though.

Just ended an internship at Bode, it's really nuts how they manage to source their antique textiles. Being there is like working in a Roald Dahl book

Also in NY is the internet sensation Peter Do, I like a lot of his clothes granted I haven't seen them in person-- he develops his own specialty textiles though

It's interesting to me how clothes makers I follow are split between looking forward or looking back i.e. Skelton vs Peter Do.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I follow a few of the above. I like what Kozaboro is doing. I like Peter Do more on Instagram. I think it's brilliant cutting and silhouettes, but they need better fabrics to justify the prices they are charging.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎