• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Ten shows of the 21st Century that defined menswear today

I picked ten shows that defined menswear today for Highsnobiety. Would like to know what you think and if you have other candidates.

As we head into 2020, Eugene Rabkin takes a look back at some of the most influential menswear fashion shows of the last 20 years.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • darkpyramid
    • Dec 2019

Few designers have defined the contemporary menswear silhouette the way that Owens did. For those of you wearing drop-crotch pants today, you probably have Rick Owens to thank

100000000% True, you can't imagine how long i stopped at your statement and make my thoughts "is that good thing to both Rick OWENS and other designers or it's good to Rick but damage and harm other designers creation and designing ability "

Interesting article but i amazed of considering Givinchy one of them

Comment

• HWith
      • May 2007

The Dior Homme show really takes me back. Fashion hasn't been the same for me since the days of DH by Hedi Slimane, the MSN DH group, lurking on eBay for good deals, all the legendary pieces like the Napoleon jacket... I've kept some blazers for posteritys sake, too bad I'm too jacked these days to fit my old sz 46 pieces.

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by HWith View Post
        The Dior Homme show really takes me back. Fashion hasn't been the same for me since the days of DH by Hedi Slimane, the MSN DH group, lurking on eBay for good deals, all the legendary pieces like the Napoleon jacket... I've kept some blazers for posteritys sake, too bad I'm too jacked these days to fit my old sz 46 pieces.
        Originally posted by darkpyramid View Post
        Few designers have defined the contemporary menswear silhouette the way that Owens did. For those of you wearing drop-crotch pants today, you probably have Rick Owens to thank

100000000% True, you can't imagine how long i stopped at your statement and make my thoughts "is that good thing to both Rick OWENS and other designers or it's good to Rick but damage and harm other designers creation and designing ability "

Dear darkpyramid, Actually, GBS did drop-crotch pants and showed them in Paris for men in January of 2002. The pants were built and delivered to Okura/Hollywood Ranch Market in Daikanyama and Degli Effetti in Rome, two of the most influential avant-garde points in the world at that time (Degli Effetti was the first store in the world to carry Carpe Diem for example), where they did well and were seen by a large number of fashion design and merch professionals at the global level- and like a lot of our work over the decades, re-appeared in other brands and collections in subsequent seasons. We know you are new to all this, but there are plenty of examples of drop-crotch pants done on or before the time Rick Owens did them out there to contradict your statement, including Carol who did some of the best. And ditto to HWith in regards to the Napoleon jacket.. another GBS idea put out in Paris and in a pile of the world's top stores in 2004 and 2005 well before DH or any number of a slew of good and bad designers who ended up running with the look ever got near it. Slimane introduced huge things in his time at DH, but the Napoleonic-style was not one of them. Let's do our homework thoroughly, gentlemen. I am sorry to butt in on this conversation like this but GBS put Napoleonic style on the map in the naughty's and we have all the tearsheets and store orders in the world to prove it including Karl Lagerfeld's photo story in Numero. As for the 10 shows selected, we can argue about the subject until the cows come home, I too have some disagreements -- but it's irrelevant. In the end, the fact that Eugene Rabkin is writing in Highsnobiety is what counts for everyone who reads SZ. For once, there is someone who can begin to shed some light to a very large new audience on the true part of the industry that is creating something and practicing real design. Clearly, there may be some limits and compromises coming from the managing editors and publishers to appease certain commercial requirements, but nevertheless, I find it extremely exciting to see Highsnobiety articles coming out with a byline of the founder of SZ. Make no mistake about it, this forum, its magazine, its founder and its readers are growing and are having an increasingly wider impact on this industry. And that is a good thing in my opinion. Congratulations to Faust and Cheers to everyone on the forum, Geoffrey
        Last edited by Geoffrey B. Small; 12-20-2019, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• haydn
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by HWith View Post
          I’ve recently started hunting for the Dior Homme pieces I wish I bought when they were released but couldn’t afford them as I was too young. Im just as excited to come across a piece in good condition today as I was 15 years ago lurking stores to see them in person. Fashion was so exciting then, back when e-commerce wasn’t as prevalent and every store seemed to have different pieces. One of my first high fashion purchases was a Dior Homme t-shirt from Strip that I took a bus from Barcelona to Marbella to buy at El Corte Inglese based on a tip from a sales assistant that they just received a delivery but Mick Jagger was photographed wearing it that week and it would sell out instantly. I still have it.

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by haydn View Post
            Fashion was so exciting then, back when e-commerce wasn’t as prevalent and every store seemed to have different pieces.

big data is real
            Originally posted by unwashed
            Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
            Originally posted by Ahimsa
            I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by darkpyramid View Post
              I don't have to like it to acknowledge its importance.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Geoffrey B. Small View Post
                Dear darkpyramid, Actually, GBS did drop-crotch pants and showed them in Paris for men in January of 2002. The pants were built and delivered to Okura/Hollywood Ranch Market in Daikanyama and Degli Effetti in Rome, two of the most influential avant-garde points in the world at that time (Degli Effetti was the first store in the world to carry Carpe Diem for example), where they did well and were seen by a large number of fashion design and merch professionals at the global level- and like a lot of our work over the decades, re-appeared in other brands and collections in subsequent seasons. We know you are new to all this, but there are plenty of examples of drop-crotch pants done on or before the time Rick Owens did them out there to contradict your statement, including Carol who did some of the best. And ditto to HWith in regards to the Napoleon jacket.. another GBS idea put out in Paris and in a pile of the world's top stores in 2004 and 2005 well before DH or any number of a slew of good and bad designers who ended up running with the look ever got near it. Slimane introduced huge things in his time at DH, but the Napoleonic-style was not one of them. Let's do our homework thoroughly, gentlemen. I am sorry to butt in on this conversation like this but GBS put Napoleonic style on the map in the naughty's and we have all the tearsheets and store orders in the world to prove it including Karl Lagerfeld's photo story in Numero. As for the 10 shows selected, we can argue about the subject until the cows come home, I too have some disagreements -- but it's irrelevant. In the end, the fact that Eugene Rabkin is writing in Hypebeast is what counts for everyone who reads SZ. For once, there is someone who can begin to shed some light to a very large new audience on the true part of the industry that is creating something and practicing real design. Clearly, there may be some limits and compromises coming from the managing editors and publishers to appease certain commercial requirements, but nevertheless, I find it extremely exciting to see Hypebeast articles coming out with a byline of the founder of SZ. Make no mistake about it, this forum, its magazine, its founder and its readers are growing and are having an increasingly wider impact on this industry. And that is a good thing in my opinion. Congratulations to Faust and Cheers to everyone on the forum, Geoffrey
                Thank you, Geoffrey (only, it's Highsnobiety!) I am also happy that they acknowledge that it's important that a writer like me speaks to their audience. They welcome it with open arms, actually.

Obviously the list is subjective and part of the fun is to hear others put forth their candidates.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by haydn View Post
                  I’ve recently started hunting for the Dior Homme pieces I wish I bought when they were released but couldn’t afford them as I was too young. Im just as excited to come across a piece in good condition today as I was 15 years ago lurking stores to see them in person. Fashion was so exciting then, back when e-commerce wasn’t as prevalent and every store seemed to have different pieces. One of my first high fashion purchases was a Dior Homme t-shirt from Strip that I took a bus from Barcelona to Marbella to buy at El Corte Inglese based on a tip from a sales assistant that they just received a delivery but Mick Jagger was photographed wearing it that week and it would sell out instantly. I still have it.
                  I love this story! I mean, no one would do this know.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Geoffrey B. Small
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Thank you, Geoffrey (only, it's Highsnobiety!) I am also happy that they acknowledge that it's important that a writer like me speaks to their audience. They welcome it with open arms, actually.

Obviously the list is subjective and part of the fun is to hear others put forth their candidates.
                    oops, error corrected- with my apologies....

Comment

• HWith
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Geoffrey B. Small View Post
                      Dear darkpyramid, Actually, GBS did drop-crotch pants and showed them in Paris for men in January of 2002. The pants were built and delivered to Okura/Hollywood Ranch Market in Daikanyama and Degli Effetti in Rome, two of the most influential avant-garde points in the world at that time (Degli Effetti was the first store in the world to carry Carpe Diem for example), where they did well and were seen by a large number of fashion design and merch professionals at the global level- and like a lot of our work over the decades, re-appeared in other brands and collections in subsequent seasons. We know you are new to all this, but there are plenty of examples of drop-crotch pants done on or before the time Rick Owens did them out there to contradict your statement, including Carol who did some of the best. And ditto to HWith in regards to the Napoleon jacket.. another GBS idea put out in Paris and in a pile of the world's top stores in 2004 and 2005 well before DH or any number of a slew of good and bad designers who ended up running with the look ever got near it. Slimane introduced huge things in his time at DH, but the Napoleonic-style was not one of them. Let's do our homework thoroughly, gentlemen. I am sorry to butt in on this conversation like this but GBS put Napoleonic style on the map in the naughty's and we have all the tearsheets and store orders in the world to prove it including Karl Lagerfeld's photo story in Numero. As for the 10 shows selected, we can argue about the subject until the cows come home, I too have some disagreements -- but it's irrelevant. In the end, the fact that Eugene Rabkin is writing in Highsnobiety is what counts for everyone who reads SZ. For once, there is someone who can begin to shed some light to a very large new audience on the true part of the industry that is creating something and practicing real design. Clearly, there may be some limits and compromises coming from the managing editors and publishers to appease certain commercial requirements, but nevertheless, I find it extremely exciting to see Highsnobiety articles coming out with a byline of the founder of SZ. Make no mistake about it, this forum, its magazine, its founder and its readers are growing and are having an increasingly wider impact on this industry. And that is a good thing in my opinion. Congratulations to Faust and Cheers to everyone on the forum, Geoffrey

Re: Drop crotch pants:
                      While you may have had a role to play in the popularization of drop crotch pants by inspiring fellow designers, I belive darkpyramid is still right when he says we can thank RO for making them main stream. Not to take anything away from you, but RO is a hugely influential designer, and I think it's hard to argue that without drop crotch in his collections it would still be super nieche.

Re: Napoleon jackets:
                      Not in any way saying that HS did the original Napoleon jacket, just as you didn't either. Actually in this case I don't really get your point, as it's a style that has been around (and been popular) forever. My point was just reminiscing how that particular piece by DH was super saught after and ridiculously expensive. I could just as well have used some other iconic DH piece, but the jacket was the one that came to mind.

Comment

• croatoan
                        • Jul 2007

Did anyone actually read the article? darkpyramid is quoting Eugene regarding drop crotch pants.

Comment

• HWith
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by croatoan View Post
                          Did anyone actually read the article? darkpyramid is quoting Eugene regarding drop crotch pants.
                          Nope, I'm just here for the pretty pictures. Like a teenage girl looking at ads in Vogue.

Comment

• hangufeng
                            • Nov 2019

N9's Noir is in it lol. I thought you hate that collection that you talked about it in a thread years ago

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by hangufeng View Post
                              N9's Noir is in it lol. I thought you hate that collection that you talked about it in a thread years ago
                              Really? Where?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎