Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"What Will Become of Fashion When the Epidemic Is Over?" (Angelo Flaccavento, BoF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DannyDagger
    • Nov 2018

"What Will Become of Fashion When the Epidemic Is Over?" (Angelo Flaccavento, BoF)

Italian creators, from Giorgio Armani to Silvia Venturini Fendi, agree on one thing: the crisis is an opportunity to regain our long-lost soul.

I felt this article by Flaccavento was interesting and worth sharing since we don't have any discussions on the epidemic on SZ. I know some people are just trying to get away from the media and social circus that it is, but it's right in front of our faces and the scope of its impact will be massive, including in fashion.

I, for one, appreciate Flaccavento's optimism for more meaningful fashion in a post-corona world. Who knows.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

I also appreciate Angelo's optimism. Alas, as he points out, it's the conglomerates who have the cash to weather the storm. Most independent designers I know cannot afford to skip a collection. Each collection funds the next one, with not much money left over. Once again, what Angelo is not addressing is the consumer. As long as there is the indiscriminate, easily-swayed consumer buying crap, there will the fashion-influencer industrial complex to take their money.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Anton
      • Oct 2014

It is, as Faust mentioned, an optimistic point of view but there is a much deeper problem that I think is not being discussed. To show substantial progress society needs to completely rethink production and consumption, not just for fashion but for everything that we consume.

Pointed in the article "when this eventually passes, could we witness a comeback of small-batch, beautiful products, produced and sold locally by skilled artisans?" This is something that might happen, but will take decades to happen in the current way we structure society (which will need to be drastically changed).
      I think that most people in this forum, and I might say a lot of people in the world see the value of artisanal production, high quality production and long lasting materials. Yet if you ask most people are they willing to spend money on a kitchen table that will last them a lifetime they will probably say no, or in many cases they simply don't have the money to afford it. The public wants things now, available all the time, and as cheaply as possible - many things are very much disposable (even though just a few decades ago these were things you bought very rarely).

Speaking of fashion, I think the business minds did an amazing trick, in the past a company charging 800 euros for a sweater had to create a garment that is high quality, with attention to details and it will serve the buyer for years. But why would they do it now? When they can charge 400 euros for a regular sweatshirt with a print on it? What matters for the average fashion consumer is not the garments themselves but rather the publics reaction to them. I sure hope that we will be back to artisanal craftsmanship, small production and a dependance on local producers supporting small local economics, but unfortunately I don't see this happening any time soon.
      I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
      My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Neither do I. They are really going for the young now, they are targeting 15-yr olds who beg their moms to buy them designer sweatshirts and sneakers. The kids don't give a shit about quality for sure - it just has to be the right logo.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

I can tell you i have spokem to a number of my peers and they are worried pissed about what this all means for thier companies.
          MANY WILL NOT SURVIVE THIS, and its a really sad anbd unfortunate thing

From stores refusing to take Spring orders that were not yet delivered.to cancelling fall orders whose deposits etc should be paid now, to r\the likelihood that their will be no markets in June to Sept to speak of, this is going to be a huge problem.

the worse is that a lot of customers are at home, not working and will have very little disposable income to spend on Fashion/ Clothing......…...
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• shropshire
            • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Neither do I. They are really going for the young now, they are targeting 15-yr olds who beg their moms to buy them designer sweatshirts and sneakers. The kids don't give a shit about quality for sure - it just has to be the right logo.
            Haha on point.

Comment

• nobodycansaveus
              • Apr 2018

Flaccavento's perspective is one that is bright sided, I just personally find it hard to invest belief... when it is really all in the hands of the consumer who have consistently proved to fall victim to the traps of the luxury conglomerates berating them.

Comment

• Glennphilips
                Banned
                • Dec 2022

When deciding which drilling machine is best, the first thing to consider is the type of work you’ll be doing. If you’re drilling holes in wood or other soft materials, a hand drill or power drill will be sufficient. https://drillingguy.com/best-woodworking-drill-press/

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎