Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a good garment bag or closet scent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MVM
    • Feb 2017

Can anyone recommend a good garment bag or closet scent?

Greetings,

I have been looking for a few closet accessories and was hoping you could help.

I'd love to find a very simple 100% cotton (or other natural material) plain garment bag to use for my winter jackets and coats. I have a few that came with suits purchased at H Lorenzo and they are just plain black cotton, something like that would be perfect. Please let me know!

I was also curious if anyone has found a good solution for scenting the closet. Not anti-moth cedar type stuff - more just a pleasant smell that stays on clothing like what's done at some boutiques.

I appreciate any and all input!

-MVM
    Last edited by MVM; 06-24-2020, 02:45 PM.
  • matglenn
    • Jun 2016

I've been using the Unum Lavs Nuage Maison room spray and I love it, good for the bedroom/closet and I'll wear it out on my clothes from time to time. Good value for what you get as well. Lovely scent.

Comment

• MVM
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by matglenn View Post
      I've been using the Unum Lavs Nuage Maison room spray and I love it, good for the bedroom/closet and I'll wear it out on my clothes from time to time. Good value for what you get as well. Lovely scent.
      Thanks for the suggestion! I will check it out!

Comment

• zen dog
        • Jan 2014

For garment bags: the laundress.com, you don't sound like you're worried about clothes moths or carpet beetles, but still, clean everything, especially wool before you put it in storage, don't rely solely on the bag for protection. For scents, they also carry Le Labo laundry detergent- hard to go wrong with either one

Comment

• MVM
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by zen dog View Post
          For garment bags: the laundress.com, you don't sound like you're worried about clothes moths or carpet beetles, but still, clean everything, especially wool before you put it in storage, don't rely solely on the bag for protection. For scents, they also carry Le Labo laundry detergent- hard to go wrong with either one
          Thanks!!! You're correct - my biggest worry is just dust and sunlight. The garment bags look great they're just sold out at the moment. Let me know if you have another you can recommend. Thanks again!

Comment

• zen dog
            • Jan 2014

And thank you for your appreciation! They are heavy weight and great quality- I have several. I'll see if I can come up with some alternatives.

Comment

• MVM
              • Feb 2017

And thank you for your appreciation! They are heavy weight and great quality- I have several. I'll see if I can come up with some alternatives.
              Sounds good just let me know if you think of something! On the topic of cleaning/ in the interest of not starting a new thread I'd be open to more general closet tips for maintenance and cleaning. Any general pro-tips or revelations are welcome :) Right now I'm really just trying to figure out how to keep my clothing from getting aged and/or dusty smelling while not in use. I flip flop between folding everything into drawers vs hanging everything.

One thing I have been trying to educate myself on lately is mold. I received a pair of trousers that had (presumably in transit)developed some powdered white mildew. I did not notice it initially and folded it into my drawer with all my other dry clean/ hand-wash only trousers. I have now removed it and will attempt to hand-wash with a bit of vinegar. What I cannot seem to figure out is if I have accidentally contaminated all my other trousers in the same drawer. I do not smell or see anything like mold on any of them but I know that spores can be dormant and a real pain. Curious if anyone has been in a similar situation. Thanks again!
              Last edited by MVM; 07-03-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• zen dog
                • Jan 2014

Hi MVM,
                Another source of quality garment bags is https://www.kirbyallison.com/garment-bag.html.

You are right to worry about mold. Yes there is a good chance the rest of your clothing in the drawer or beyond has mold spores- whether they take hold may depend on your general humidity situation- so, look and smell :-)
                Also if you are in a humid environment, definitely cloth garment bags, not that you shouldn't use them anyway.

The Laundress is a good source for cleaning products and has answers for specific situations. For dehumidifying
                https://www.universityproducts.com/art-sorb.html- web site and product name. I found this by googling so it will give you some direction to shop around for yourself. My bookmarked museum supply site seems to have gone under
                Last edited by zen dog; 07-07-2020, 07:14 AM. Reason: worked on links

Comment

• dji
                  • Feb 2008

I use closet dehumidifiers that they sell at any dollar shop, does the trick here in soggy Seattle. Need to be replaced every few months depending on your situation.

Comment

• MVM
                    • Feb 2017

Hi MVM,
                    Another source of quality garment bags is https://www.kirbyallison.com/garment-bag.html.

You are right to worry about mold. Yes there is a good chance the rest of your clothing in the drawer or beyond has mold spores- whether they take hold may depend on your general humidity situation- so, look and smell :-)
                    Also if you are in a humid environment, definitely cloth garment bags, not that you shouldn't use them anyway.

The Laundress is a good source for cleaning products and has answers for specific situations. For dehumidifying
                    https://www.universityproducts.com/art-sorb.html- web site and product name. I found this by googling so it will give you some direction to shop around for yourself. My bookmarked museum supply site seems to have gone under
                    I actually got sucked down the rabbit hole reading about mold last week - It's one of those things where the more information you get, the less confident you feel. It's like either "mold spores are everywhere and totally unavoidable" or "burn everything".....Not much middle ground. I am leaning towards believing that the amount of mold spore transferred is hopefully around the same amount i'd get from a long nature walk. At least that is what I will tell myself to remain sane.

Have you tried the kirby allison garment bags? I spent hundreds of dollars on the premium hangers from the KA hanger project and was really disappointed to see they were basically b-stock hangers that had be re-branded and had their price hiked. I'd be curious how the quality of the garment bags compares. Thanks again for all your input!

Comment

• MVM
                      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by dji View Post
                      I use closet dehumidifiers that they sell at any dollar shop, does the trick here in soggy Seattle. Need to be replaced every few months depending on your situation.
                      Thanks for the great idea! I have just moved from California to British Columbia and I'm slowly learning how much more wet it is here.

Comment

• zen dog
                        • Jan 2014

I don't think I've used Kirby Allison bags, I know I've used some of their boxes and they were of good quality. You could see what their return policy is. Dji's idea sounds easier than mine for the closet and is proven for a similar climate. You made need a room dehumidifier if you can't get rid of that musty smell. I've been in homes near the beach that seem fine and yet after a few years books get a musty smell- a sign of mold.

There are air filters with hepa and uv light features- the uv is supposed to kill mold spores. I have a "Germ Guardian" I bought off Amazon for under $100 that seems good.

Comment

• FerenZss
                          • Jul 2019

I have been looking for a few closet accessories and was hoping you could help.
                          I'd love to find a very simple 100% cotton (or other natural material) plain garment bag to use for my winter jackets and coats. I have a few that came with suits purchased at H Lorenzo and they are just plain black cotton, something like that would be perfect. Please let me know!
                          MVM, when I need something like bags or any other accessories, I always visit COOLS website ( here is their official site and category of bags ), where they have maybe the most wide variety of brand clothes, shoes, bags and accessories on the web. Awesome clothes from different brands and outstanding discounts - that's what I like about this online store.
                          Last edited by FerenZss; 08-12-2020, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• WadeMills
                            • Jun 2023

For a simple and natural garment bag, I recommend checking out some options on websites like Etsy or Amazon. They usually have a variety of 100% cotton garment bags that might suit your needs. Just search for "plain cotton garment bag" and you should find some great options.

Comment

• JasonBlake
                              • Jun 2023

I see it’s been a while, but I’d like to chime in. As for scenting your closet, if you're looking for a pleasant smell that stays on clothing, you could try using scented sachets or fabric sprays. There are various brands available online or in stores that offer scents specifically designed for closets. You can place the sachets or lightly spray the fabric spray inside your closet to give your clothes a nice aroma. When it comes to bags, I totally appreciate quality, style, and reliability. If you're looking for exclusive bags that tick all these boxes, I highly recommend checking out the excellent assortment available at https://vonbaer.com/. They offer bags of the highest quality that are crafted with great attention to detail.
                              Last edited by JasonBlake; 06-30-2023, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎