X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Covid, Quarantine and how have you been spending your time

If you are reading this is means you are alive, and hopefully well. it also means that you have in some respects been affected by COVID19, had to have spent some bit of time in a lockdown, or you are still doing so.

How have you been spending your time?
    how have you been affected by the pandemic and how are you coping?
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

It's funny, a lot has changed, but also little has changed. It turned out that me being used to working from home and cooking most of my own meals was a blessing. So was getting married and getting a dog before the whole thing hit, haha! Work, spend time with my wife and daughter, walk the dog, read. Go into the city once in a while and enjoy the post-apocalyptic feeling and Manhattan without tourists.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      It's funny, a lot has changed, but also little has changed. It turned out that me being used to working from home and cooking most of my own meals was a blessing. So was getting married and getting a dog before the whole thing hit, haha! Work, spend time with my wife and daughter, walk the dog, read. Go into the city once in a while and enjoy the post-apocalyptic feeling and Manhattan without tourists.

Well having a family you love and want to be around does help to keep one sane.
      I've been spending a lot of time with my sons. and also thinking about structuring things where i can teach them a bit ni September.
      I have taken up drawing again, but focused on just working at Zfactorie and creating new stuff

I had to go into Manhattan two days ago and it was depressing. yes I like that there are less people and easier to move around but with businesses closed left right and center and people jobless its rough to see and process it all

Comment

• dji
        • Feb 2008

Nothing too much changed on my side either. Been in a working from home job for the past 2.5 years (my wife even longer), only real difference is I don't meet the customer face to face anymore. We cook at home 90% of the time anyway so not a lot different there either other than getting takeout/delivery rather than dining in when we do want something different. Kiddo's (3 and some change now, time flies..) home based daycare is still open which is much needed in order for us to be productive.

Biggest change for us is the need to avoid busy areas. Grocery shop quick at quiet hours (or do click and pick), limiting to one trip a week where possible. Staying away from areas that get too busy on the weekend. Tried going for a hike yesterday but it was far too crowded for my wife's comfort with few people doing the right thing so ended up bailing 10 mins in. Sticking with quieter parks and trails with wider paths for social distancing's sake. Luckily we live in a quiet corner of Bellevue with old growth forest and nice trails and walking paths, makes it a bit easier to make the most of the situation.

Comment

• Monologue
          • May 2020

A combination of movies, reading, writing, and photography once in a while. I never watched many movies before the pandemic so I thought it was a good time to start, and I found Takeshi Kitano's movies and particularly Hana-bi to be fantastic. I'm currently reading What Money Can't Buy - The Moral Limits of Markets. The whole book is about market values encroaching societal values. It begins with the topic of paying children to read books and then stretches into more complex scenarios like the organ trade and controlled big-game hunting. Very good and very easy to read.

Uni may potentially be online again, and it's not the most pleasant learning experience. Our chances rest on the shoulders of people who don't know how to have fun besides clubbing and partying, so we will see. Overall though, I can't complain, and in some ways I've felt more creative than ever. I'm already used to being confined with only digital contact since a long time ago, so nothing has changed on that end. I'm with my family too so that's almost all the social interaction I need. My hometown and country has been mostly sane when it comes to masks and being responsible, which I'm thankful for too. Meanwhile in the States... I am really curious how those of you living there cope with it.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by dji View Post
            Nothing too much changed on my side either. Been in a working from home job for the past 2.5 years (my wife even longer), only real difference is I don't meet the customer face to face anymore. We cook at home 90% of the time anyway so not a lot different there either other than getting takeout/delivery rather than dining in when we do want something different. Kiddo's (3 and some change now, time flies..) home based daycare is still open which is much needed in order for us to be productive.

Biggest change for us is the need to avoid busy areas. Grocery shop quick at quiet hours (or do click and pick), limiting to one trip a week where possible. Staying away from areas that get too busy on the weekend. Tried going for a hike yesterday but it was far too crowded for my wife's comfort with few people doing the right thing so ended up bailing 10 mins in. Sticking with quieter parks and trails with wider paths for social distancing's sake. Luckily we live in a quiet corner of Bellevue with old growth forest and nice trails and walking paths, makes it a bit easier to make the most of the situation.

I have pretty much resigned myself to not go anywhere and not travel for the duration of the year
            i love only 10 minutes from my work, so getting to an from is easy. at the moment, focused on my work and being creative is key.
            But going around New York is rather depressing. the vibrant energy that made NY special is gone..........hopefully temporarily

Comment

• upsilonkng
              • May 2010

as bad as i thought trump was , he's done more damage than anyone could've predicted.
              Americans are now prisoners on top of everything, unable to go out or leave the country as no one wants them.
              i got out before he took office and moved to Taipei for a few years to give my son Eno some new family and its been the best. Better everyday as we've never had a lockdown and there are 7 active cases in the hospital and that is it!! no local cases for over 110 straight days. So life here is calm and people wear masks still but i play shows, go to stores, go to restaurants when i need to and chill w/ my family. stay safe SZ'ers and if he wins again be ready to leave for good.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Monologue View Post
                A combination of movies, reading, writing, and photography once in a while. I never watched many movies before the pandemic so I thought it was a good time to start, and I found Takeshi Kitano's movies and particularly Hana-bi to be fantastic. I'm currently reading What Money Can't Buy - The Moral Limits of Markets. The whole book is about market values encroaching societal values. It begins with the topic of paying children to read books and then stretches into more complex scenarios like the organ trade and controlled big-game hunting. Very good and very easy to read.

Uni may potentially be online again, and it's not the most pleasant learning experience. Our chances rest on the shoulders of people who don't know how to have fun besides clubbing and partying, so we will see. Overall though, I can't complain, and in some ways I've felt more creative than ever. I'm already used to being confined with only digital contact since a long time ago, so nothing has changed on that end. I'm with my family too so that's almost all the social interaction I need. My hometown and country has been mostly sane when it comes to masks and being responsible, which I'm thankful for too. Meanwhile in the States... I am really curious how those of you living there cope with it.
                This country is showing its worst year after year. For the first time ever I am beginning to lose faith in the American project, and I've lived through some shit here. November elections will bring a new level of ugliness hitherto unseen - you just watch. If Trump loses, we will see mass shootings on unprecedented scale.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by upsilonkng View Post
                  as bad as i thought trump was , he's done more damage than anyone could've predicted.
                  Americans are now prisoners on top of everything, unable to go out or leave the country as no one wants them.
                  i got out before he took office and moved to Taipei for a few years to give my son Eno some new family and its been the best. Better everyday as we've never had a lockdown and there are 7 active cases in the hospital and that is it!! no local cases for over 110 straight days. So life here is calm and people wear masks still but i play shows, go to stores, go to restaurants when i need to and chill w/ my family. stay safe SZ'ers and if he wins again be ready to leave for good.
                  Glad to know you and you family are safe,
                  Yes id never thought we'd get to a point where Americans are banned from travelling to Europe, the Bahamas etc..........I love America with all of its flaws, racism, imperfections etc. but for the first time im depressed about it all.
                  this thing could have been handled much better, but Trump and the republicans care more about money and the economy than they do about the lives and safety of the people they lead

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

This country is showing its worst year after year. For the first time ever I am beginning to lose faith in the American project, and I've lived through some shit here. November elections will bring a new level of ugliness hitherto unseen - you just watch. If Trump loses, we will see mass shootings on unprecedented scale.
                    Well, He will lose...........I honestly don't think he has a shot at winning in November.
                    Biden and the democrats would have to screw this up real bad for trump to be reelected

Comment

• nyarkies
                      • Feb 2012

Politics is just one aspect of the problem and both of its sides are problematic as it continues to be divisive. They only serve the interests of their respective parties. The two party system needs to be brought down. Speaking of divisive, you can add mainstream news and media to it. I also think the individualistic mindset is another factor that has damned this country.

Comment

• upsilonkng
                        • May 2010

the truth is that "american exceptionalism" is dead and buried w/out a casket in an open hole for the entire world to see. making masks political?? what's next ? seat belts? soap? aspirin? seriously the whole world laughs at americans now, watch videos of our police treating citizens like enemies and no one really wants anything to do w/ America. I never believed Trump would win the first time but obviously its hard to say if he'll get reelected but Eugene is right, there will be violence come november its gonna get much uglier.. stay safe out there, fight the good fight!

Comment

• 13we2
                          • Sep 2015

If Trump loses, we will see mass shootings on unprecedented scale.
                          Why? Can you elaborate?

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by 13we2 View Post
                            Why? Can you elaborate?

American is full of conspiracy theorists with guns. He will stoke their hatred and the crazies will come out guns blazing convinced that the election was rigged and they are protecting their freedom from the government. Trust me, it's going to happen.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MVM
                              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                              If you are reading this is means you are alive, and hopefully well. it also means that you have in some respects been affected by COVID19, had to have spent some bit of time in a lockdown, or you are still doing so.

Echoing the sentiment of those with some pre-existing solitude in their lives, much has stayed the same. Cooking is more of an intentional activity than a necessary chore now. Aside from that, I quit smoking, started smoking...thinking I might "quit" again. I got a good routine of practicing music and filling sketchbooks going - lock down does facilitate this well. I'm the kind of person who tends to make excuses that allow me to behave like a hermit anyways. Taught my 11 month old cat to use the human toilette. It would not have been possible if my girlfriend and I were not home all day. Sold about 200lbs of my music and book collection. Got fat - Now I have like 10 pairs of un-worn LUC pants that are too small for me. Anyone out there a size 48/50 with some 50/52's they feel like trading? Do people still trade?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎