• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Your recent purchases

/\ nice girlfriend you have, ddohnggo! Way to go.

Not clothes, but I was glad to finally get a good phone.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• baizilla
      • Sep 2006

Wow, ddohngo, your girlfriend is treating you with a lot of nice things lately. Those shorts look great!

While we are on that subject, I got my girlfriend this Bruno Pieters dress. I haven't told her about it yet, hopefully she will be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

SOOOOO beautiful Bai! She is going to love it!
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Baizilla, great piece!! Dohhnggo, more girls should be like your girlfriend. I'm just happy mine tolerates my purchases (and she keeps me in check and tells me when she thinks something doesn't look good hehehe)!

Just returned from London/Paris. I'll write a full on report tomorrow (it's 2:30 am here in Berlin now... time for bed!) but Faust, you were right... Colette is Hell On Earth. The Library wasn't really my kind of store (the buy was too "English") but L'Eclaireur on Rue Herold is life changing. My god...

While there, I picked up a white reversible shirt and a pair of on-demand dark green overlock trousers by CCP. I wanted much much more but... money is finite! The people at L'Eclaireur were great and what they had to show was stunning.

Everyone should go if they have a chance. Everyone!

Lots lots more tomorrow! With some secretly taken photos too hehehe.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Gorgeous dress, Baizilla!

Albert - can't wait to hear more! I expected your reaction to Library - it is much more "gentlemanly" - they try to make a gentleman with an edge, but still unmistakingly posh.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]
              Gorgeous dress, Baizilla!

Albert - can't wait to hear more! I expected your reaction to Library - it is much more "gentlemanly" - they try to make a gentleman with an edge, but still unmistakingly posh.

[/quote]

Hehe, yes the Library was set up nicely and they had a lot of stuff (impressive CCP selection among other things) but it is indeed much more "gentlemanly". Now... their downstairs womens department should be burned to the ground. My god... it's like night and day between the menswear buy and the womenswear. Everything they had down there was rhinestones, appliques, silkscreens... hideous. I don't know what happened.

They had a lot of the blazers and coats from this CCP season with the clear taped seams and they had just received another shipment of the L-shaped pants in a number of different suit-wool (or cotton) weaves. I tried a pair on but they were disappointing... not only was the leg really slim so they were tight on the calf (an issue I had come across before at Atelier with a pair of CCPs) but the L shape only resulted in slight ruching at the knee. Nothing to write home about and certainly not worth the 600 quid asking price per pair. They did have a pair of the paper shoes as Casius had mentioned before which were quite interesting. They also had two of the overlock black leather jackets that were only semi-stiff. Really nice pieces!

They had a small (small small) collection of CDiem mixed in with the Poell but just a leather shirt and a double layered white tee. I checked out their Gustavolins and the Isaac Sellam Experience and they were pretty nice. Gustavolins' construction is absolutely astounding. The leather piping and finish even on the inside cuffs is something no one else can offer. Faust, as you have said before, Isaac Sellam is definitely more of a "poor man's Carpe Diem." It's kind of cool but I don't think Sellam has the look down just yet. He has the techniques and the materials but they end up coming across as a little bit cheap. Zipup hoodies and shirts and maybe a jacket or two was all I saw. When worn, the look wouldn't be that refined deconstructed look really, but he does some fun things with a serger (a thin, closely stitched "overlock" on many seams).

The Library had 1 CCP belt left and only after I asked them to bring it out of the back. It was the spiral cut belt in a dark green. Definitely more of an art piece than anything wearable. There would be too much twisting and curving when worn for it to really be all that functional. Neat to look at though (more on this later).

I ended up leaving the Library with nothing. They did have the off-white boots and the current season dark grays but in person those off whites left something to be desired. The fact that they had at least 5 pairs of the off white boots displayed in the store suggested to me that they aren't selling well. I am very very glad I didn't get them sight unseen from Atelier. The leather treatment is a bit odd with some sueding of the uppers in parts!

One of my main gripes about The Library is their method of mixing brands and not really keeping them unto themselves on their own racks. Sort of an "Alan Bilzerian" approach that I never liked.

Paris was an altogether different story.

First, Colette:

1 word: hell.

Pumping electronic music (a la Abercrombie and Fitch), SA's that don't dress like SA's, nor do they ask you if you need any help, combined with their absolutely irritating method of displaying their clothes ONLY on mannequins kills me. How Linea/CDiem/LMaltieri fit into this mix at one point is beyond me. Their pricing isn't low either as Cloak items seemed to be inflated...a lot. Their first floor was nifty. Sort of a mix between Kid Robot and Moss in SoHo (Manhattan SoHo) and Sharper Image. Trendy neat books, toys, cd's and electronics. I found a little pocketbook guide to cool off-the-beaten-road things in Berlin for 7.50 euro. Bought it and got the hell out of that joint.

Next I went to L'Eclaireur Rue Herold and it changed my life.

Fun secret entrance, floor to ceiling cubby-hole shoe rack full of CDiem and CCP shoes and boots. A matching rack had Sarti scarves in it and then you enter the main area of the store. The layout and display methods of everything in the store is without equal (although I've heard that some stores like it in Japan are astounding as well). The SA's were incredibly friendly and laid back and the place was quiet and calm. Light background music, places to sit (for my Dad) and they do indeed ask you if you want something to drink.

I went to the CCP rack and it's damn huge. Probably 30-40 unique pieces on there ranging from a leather overlocked full length coat (5600 euro) to reversible button ups (275-550 euro) and blazers (don't remember the cost). A small display plate had about 4-5 belts on it but all the good ones have been sold already. Early collection yellow leather ones, and some interesting rubber belts (same buckle, same dimensions just that the strap is rubber and you have to really pull on it to get it into the buckle... the sizing is way off too as a 50 required me to really pull on it and when closed looked like my jeans were more like a bunched up burlap sack around my waist). They had a number of essentially unwearable pieces for decorative use such as a pair of sole-less flattened laceup shoes (for women I believe) in his off white unpolished leather, and a long black belt that was crumpled up.

They carry MA+ bags right now but will carry more next season as one of the SA's used to work at Carpe Diem and is good friends with Amadei now and thus he had come by to give her and the store owner both a pair of the upcoming boots which I got to see.

They carry CDiem/LMaltieri as well but it's all inside a dresser and they are all classic pieces in really large or really small sizes since they can't restock. Isaac Sellam experience was there as well as Undercover. They even had a pair of the CDiem soft leather sneakers that had the liquid rubber poured on them so that they were embedded in a pool of black rubber on the floor. I had never seen this and only had read about it as a display at X12 (the now defunct CDiem showroom in Paris). I didn't ask the price but apparently they used to have 3 and one of the customers who bought it cut out the shoes and wears them during the summer. The rubber renders it impossible to use the laces... definitely more of an art piece/collectors piece than a wearable one!

The first day I was there I couldn't stay long so I chatted with the SA's, looked around quickly and had to go.

The next day I first went to the Rue Mahler store as the SA (I think his name is Julian. An extremely chill, nice asian guy.) had suggested I see because all the old Carol pieces get sent there. The ambiance was completely different there compared to Rue Herold. The SA's are snobbish and a bit pushy.

I was looking at the CCP rack and the SA practically forced me into the overlock denim blazer. Hooray. I asked about past collection pieces and he brought up a bunch of pants and I picked out two overlock pairs one of which I ended up picking up. He still insisted that I try on the other pair and then tried to sell me a pair of the pants that Carol had run through some cutting machine so the entire thing was perforated with little slits. Unwearable.

Pushy as he may have been, he was nice though.

I then went back to Rue Herold and Julian was there that day as well and we talked some more. Turns out, the day before when I had been there... two guys came into the store, looked around as if they were browsing and then stuffed two Poell leather jackets into some bags and bolted. They called the cops but the police refused to investigate a case where "only two leather jackets were taken."! A shame...

I ended up picking up a white-on-both-sides reversible Poell shirt.

They also had a HUUUGGGEEE spiral cut leather belt (like the small version except extended to about 5 feet across but still cut in the regular belt thickness) that falls and bunches in the most amazing way. I have called them today and will be picking it up next wednesday via a day trip to Paris (thanks to Easyjet.com the trip price will be about 110 euro!). Gonna have to decorate my new apartment/house when I move to either DC or San Antonio for med school and this'll be a nice centerpiece for one of the rooms. For slightly less than a pair of CCP boots it's worth it to me.

They had the elephant boots in gray and black at L'Eclaireur along with a diagonal zip pair of really unusual leather. It's the same treatment Carol uses on some of the soles of his shoes (a blotchy green and whitish yellow) but applied to the entire boot. Very cool to look at but when worn... probably looks like you wade in vomit every day. The Rue Malher store had the same thing in a full on jacket. They also had a tape seam blazer but instead of tape it was finished with some lovely striped fabric. Really cool.

Needless to say, everyone should go there.

I took some photos at both L'Eclaireurs (though more at Rue Malher) and I'll post em tonight. My girlfriend grabbed my phone today when she left instead of hers and they're on there) hahaha.

I snapped a photo of everything that I received in the last week or so. My dad was nice enough to lug everything here for me from Atelier and another pair of overlock pants (black this time) arrived in the mail today! One more pair of classic black Poell pants are coming as well (a long time coming... slow shipper)

Dark green pair of overlock pants

Black pair of overlock pants

Reversible white shirt

Black/Gray diagonal zip boots (the leather treatment is amazing... wrinkles, crocodile skin type work... etc. etc.)

MA+ big cross belt

MA+ wishbone belt

MA+ aviator hoodie (love it! the weather is finally cooling off some here in Berlin so I can wear it now)

Look for the L'Eclaireur photos tonight! hehehe

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Thanks for the write up, Albert, and congrats on all your purchases. Will wait for pictures!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jiggy
                  • Feb 2007

Albet, those purcahse are truely amazing.

Great purchases, How i wished i could have just ONE of those.

Cant wait to see them in the WAYWT thread

Im just feeling so jealous right now, i live in a small asian country where i can never get any of those.

My only hope of getting such items are cycle-two and lazzari (Can any one tell me where else i can get them other then Y!).

It just pisses me off, i can never get to see them in stores or try them on before buying

and buying them online always resulting in wrong size, etc.

especially
                  now with such great influence of ccp, ma+, cdiem, LUC etc on SZ. i just
                  cant wait to try them out in the near future (if possible)

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

CCP bandits?! [:O]

Great write up and very nice purchases, Albert!

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

I know right? CCP bandits!!!!

The circle of people that are fans of his work though is so small... to even know that CCP exists you have to know a decent amount about fashion or... just know about the price tag.

If you're in either group, someone is bound to notice as the latter will result in the item being put up on ebay and the former... people will ask questions.

Either way... it's a pretty crazy thing to have happened! Especially with the secret door and buzzing-in required at Rue Herold L'Eclaireur!

Comment

• winQ
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2006

Merz -
                        I bought them off y! japan. I got the size 1, which is closest to a26.5 cm. My true size is 27cm and I barely am able to squeeze my feet into these. I have to change into thin dress socks to wear them, but it's worth it. I wear a size 9 in chucks, 9.5/10 in purcells and a 9.5/10 in vans. I'd say that a size 1 would perfect for somebody that wears a 8.5 in chucks. Mine are just a tad too tight,but I think the size 2 would have been too big for my liking.. ah well

Albert, amazing write up![Y] makes me wish I had access to anything even remotely similar. Price to pay for delicious street food i suppose..

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Kick ass boots too WinQ!

I give you props for suffering for your love of a piece hehe. I've done similar things myself.

I'd be happy to trade physical store access for some delicious street food any day! After all, one thing you can have shipped to you and the other... well, lets just say steaming soup dumplings don't travel well hahaha.

I just booked my ticket for my one day trip back to Rue Herold next wednesday to pick up the Poell art piece.

If anyone here would like me to check anything out for them just let me know. They don't typically do mail orders (no credit cards accepted over the phone) but you may or may not be able to convince them to do a mail order if you pay them via bank transfer. They left this info kind of vague but I'll see what the deal is exactly next week as well for everyone.

Comment

• drexl
                            • Sep 2006

Damn, nice writeup Albert! Did you get a chance to see the "secret room" at L'eclaireur? Can't wait for the pics!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="drexl"]Damn, nice writeup Albert! Did you get a chance to see the "secret room" at L'eclaireur? Can't wait for the pics!
                              [/quote]

Haha, I *almost* went in. I was heading out when I remembered about it and when the SA opened it up one of the buyers for L'Eclaireur was talking business with someone in there so we couldn't go in. Next week though, I'm gonna be going for certain!

An interesting note, they actually rent out that room to people that want to host dinner parties there. That'd be pretty cool hehe.

My girlfriend came back so now I have photos for everyone... pardon the bad quality but these were covert photos since I'm guessing they don't like this being done. Thus more photos at Rue Malher because I didn't like the people there hahaha

Rue Malher L'Eclaireur

The Rue Mahler CCP raock. Lots of leathers. The front leather jacket is cowhide with the hair reversed onto the inside. I believe it's a completely reversible jacket! The one behind it is the ink-injected one that was shown on mens.style.com at The Library. Cool concept buuuut more of an art piece again. Lots of suits, blazers, pants and this thing:

I think it's leather but it was plasticky feeling and really thin. Very weird....

A blurry photo of the inside of one of the blazers where instead of heat-sealing tape being used, fabric "tape" was stitched in to bring the inner pieces together. A very nice refined version of the tape seam blazer.

I tried taking a photo of the ink injected jacket but it came out fuzzy.... I'll try to take more next week hehe.

Rue Herold

The doorbell/entrance method to L'Eclaireur Rue Herold

The only photo I have of the inside... maybe more next week. This is of the CDiem laceup shoes with the black rubber oil slick on them. Nifty!

Comment

• Casius
                                • Dec 2006

Haha, cool spy photos Albert. The haul above is nice as well! Love those boots and the overlock trousers, well....you know how I feel about those. [:)]
                                "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎