Clear All
  • snafu
    • Apr 2008

fuck even i think thats steep 500 for a belt

Comment

• jamesd
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
      Isn't it, the very popular U-last isn't as muc to my liking as this simple one. For shoes though a chunkier, typically Eastern-European last is the way to go IMHO.
      Fuuma, those boots are great, as is the F last in general, and I like how you went without the quick-lacing hooks -- I never liked them either.

As for the U last, I don't usually like it, it's too extreme for my tastes. The only model I've liked it on is the monk, but I'm not really one to go for monks.

But the F and Budapest lasts are terrific. Vass is quality too, close to, or even on, par with Lobb IMHO . . . and at half the price.

Comment

• pipcleo
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by dan.de View Post
        it's my first ma+ piece. time will tell if it was worth the 500$ (incl. the stupid nyc tax)
        how exactly will you tell ?
        tis a belt and its not amazing
        whats amazing is the cult of leathery old men

Comment

• dan.de
          • Jan 2009

by time will tell i meant that i can only evaluate how durable the leather will be and until now no one here concerned the quality of his shit so far.
          i know that the price is sick but are there any of his items not overpriced today (i almost laughed when i saw the underwear pricing)?

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

after having worked with fabrics and making belts etc. (no underwear) A straight cut belt like Amadei's are actually not too difficult to produce.

5 pieces of silver
            1 thread
            1 strip of leather
            pliers
            needle
            x-acto knife

Granted the idea behind it is really elegant and a testament to the minimalistic nature of his work but $500 is steep for cow.

Constructing the underwear probably takes more time honestly!
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

well to be fair, with said equipment you might as well end up with a flimsy, uneven belt and a bunch of crooked silver sticks

I do agree that its fairly simple, but it does take a bit of work and not just any piece of leather and silver will hold up that well in a belt. but yea, price is steep for sure.
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• tangerine
                • Dec 2006

cost of MA+ belt : $500
                cost of sz membership : free
                cost of being humiliated in the recent purchases thread: $0 - your pride (varies)
                cost of encountering keyboard warrior in Atelier/The Archive/your local leathery old men distributor, and proceeding to tan their hides with your $500 belt : priceless

not aimed at anyone, just pointing out utilitarian value of belt. ;) I think that belt's a little plain for $500, but it is a nice belt.
                the woman Balmain is wild, casual, explosive cocktail of a sailor and a ballerina

Comment

• dndy1840
                  • Sep 2008

It is of course well-known that designers start producing accessories because these are the typical products that don't cost a lot to produce and then ensure comfortable margins (paging the guy who bought for 1K$ of RO socks = net revenue for RO around 800 $ or something).

I'd be more comprehensive with Mr Amadei and Mr Poell as they consistenly offer brilliant variations of the belt motif (not this one perhaps, 500 $ is a lot if price comes into consideration) and above all because they're both leather experts.

Personally, I'm OK with that, but a bit reluctant to pay a premium for accessories which are not the core business of a designer : for example, MMM jewellery is pretty crap according to my experience... Better stick with Cacciatori !

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

The only black, non-dress belt I wear is over 10 yrs old and made by Levi. Of course if you find value in $500 belts then go for it.
                    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by tangerine View Post
                      cost of encountering keyboard warrior in Atelier/The Archive/your local leathery old men distributor, and proceeding to tan their hides with your $500 belt : priceless
                      $500 for a beautifully crafted belt seems fair enough to me. one or two is enough and they'll last you till you're a leathery old man yourself.
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Real Real
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                        If you choose the right model the Budapest last looks like the emblem of a certain European cultural divide. These are shoes worn by people who don't chit-chat on public transportation and are never late.

http://www.budapester.de/handmade_bu...,294,0,99.html
                        Great looking shoes, Fuuma.

The Budapest last's sole doesn't project outwards from the sides of the shoe - the effect is that it doesn't look nearly as bulky in person as it does in pictures.

It's conservative, but there's something about it (the toe cap) that gives the shoes a bit of an unaffected swagger.

Comment

• beardown
                          rekoner
                          • Feb 2009

Yeah, it's all a matter of preference and taste. And probably a Pandora's Box best left shut. There are many pieces that I see the retail price of and think it's a ridiculous name game.
                          I mean, are $500 glorified sweat pants any less ridiculous than a $500 leather belt at full retail? or $400 shorts that are constructed from jersey cotton with a drawstring?

It all comes down to what you dig and where you think it's rational for your dollars to go. If it's worth it to you, that's really all that matters I suppose.
                          At the retail level, I'm with Faust on this (of what was said earlier)...well crafted shoes and outwear is where I end up putting my money because they'll last a long time and have a lot of wear life.
                          We've all been guilty of paying big prices for something we can't live without. $375 double layer long sleeves? I have one...it fits like a charm but every time I put it on I have to laugh to myself.
                          Originally posted by mizzar
                          Sorry for being kind of a dick to you.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Real Real View Post
                            Great looking shoes, Fuuma.

The Budapest last's sole doesn't project outwards from the sides of the shoe - the effect is that it doesn't look nearly as bulky in person as it does in pictures.

It's conservative, but there's something about it (the toe cap) that gives the shoes a bit of an unaffected swagger.
                            You can ask Vass to cut the sole closer on the U and F last too, it will protrude but not as much.

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by beardown View Post
                              Yeah, it's all a matter of preference and taste. And probably a Pandora's Box best left shut. There are many pieces that I see the retail price of and think it's a ridiculous name game.
                              I mean, are $500 glorified sweat pants any less ridiculous than a $500 leather belt at full retail? or $400 shorts that are constructed from jersey cotton with a drawstring?

It all comes down to what you dig and where you think it's rational for your dollars to go. If it's worth it to you, that's really all that matters I suppose.
                              At the retail level, I'm with Faust on this (of what was said earlier)...well crafted shoes and outwear is where I end up putting my money because they'll last a long time and have a lot of wear life.
                              We've all been guilty of paying big prices for something we can't live without. $375 double layer long sleeves? I have one...it fits like a charm but every time I put it on I have to laugh to myself.
                              I won't disagree, I own two double-layers so that's $750 for two glorified l-s tees (note: one was second-hand and unworn, maybe 200-250 and the other one was before the price hike so maybe $350, still 550-600$ for two tees).

I really depends on what we prioritize and if we put value in having a price vs cost of production relationship that isn't too unbalanced. The boots I just posted certainly have a greater "value" than the belt posted but if you prefer belts, need a belt, want CCP, etc that's not going to mean much to you.

Comment

• lowrey
                                ventiundici
                                • Dec 2006

belts are a small detail but a rather long lasting one at that. I have an Ann Demeulemeester belt that I've worn almost every day for the past 3 years, already in that time its certainly been more worth it than most other pieces of clothing and/or accessories
                                "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎