Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Who Makes What for Whom

Bump for Matteo and other new members.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Bump for new members. Fun read.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

greenfield also produces all rag and bone tailored wear (was on fashion night out's skit on them, was a pretty interesting watch)
    ________
    Yamaha Sy99 Specifications
    Last edited by PaintedBlack_7; 02-10-2011 at 07:31 PM.

safe to assume he was not responsible for Rick's knife blazer.

Interesting thread, thanks.

Marc Jacobs Men is also made by Staff nowadays. But what's the deal with CCP? In this thread there was a suggestion that CCP shoes were made by Guidi. I thought they were made in-house.

Quote Originally Posted by deleuze View Post

The documentary mentioned in the article is still viewable. Highly recommended.

http://www.report.rai.it/R2_popup_ar...078530,00.html

Rai Tre - Report
    Disoccupati del lusso
    by Sabrina Giannini

Quote Originally Posted by Atom View Post
    Interesting thread, thanks.

Marc Jacobs Men is also made by Staff nowadays. But what's the deal with CCP? In this thread there was a suggestion that CCP shoes were made by Guidi. I thought they were made in-house.
    Made of Guidi leather.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by rsb View Post
    The documentary mentioned in the article is still viewable. Highly recommended.

http://www.report.rai.it/R2_popup_ar...078530,00.html

Rai Tre - Report
    Disoccupati del lusso
    by Sabrina Giannini
    really interesting article. the report and the italian police exclusively punish the undocumented chinese rather than the companies that decide to subcontract work to these sweatshops.

it's interesting that the reporter and the italian police blame the chinese for loss of italian labor, tax evasion, and unfit working conditions like they care, while the independent italians that employ an italian workforce blame the big corporations for hiring and increasing the demand for illegal labor to cut costs.

it's similar to undocumented mexicans in the states. people need to divert their fear, hatred, ill will to the companies that are hiring undocumented workers to cut costs.

great thread...

Couple of updates

Thom Browne

Shirts- are now made by Gambert again (1st was gambert, then gitman now back)

Shoes-are now made by...Sanders No more Trickers and Sanders are made in the Dominican Republic. Then re-lasted in the UK

Michael Bastian

Jackets- Isaia but made in their Michelangelo factory (machine made)

Shirts- Lorenzini

Can anyone help me figure out which contractors are involved with fragrance production and who they manufacture for? I'm having trouble hunting for this information with Google alone.

what is this??? the of-the-moment 'americana' crowd's getting a brit company - sanders - to make their shoes??? thom browne, mark mcnairy, who else?

just heard from a government-related source that quite a few luxury brands are using chinese prison labour as semi-free factories to produce their goods! she's seen them in person but won't divulge which specific labels...

Quote Originally Posted by Patroklus View Post
    Can anyone help me figure out which contractors are involved with fragrance production and who they manufacture for? I'm having trouble hunting for this information with Google alone.
    There are 5 huge companies that create and produce virtually all mass-market fragrances. Is that what you're looking for?

I'm more concerned with who produces for whom. I found one or two contractors but didn't recognize any of the labels they claimed to work with and so didn't pay much attention to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patroklus View Post
    I'm more concerned with who produces for whom. I found one or two contractors but didn't recognize any of the labels they claimed to work with and so didn't pay much attention to them.
    The biggies are:
    -Givaudan (Swiss)
    -Firmenich (Swiss)
    -IFF (International Flavors & Fragrances) (US)
    -Symrise (German)
    -Takasago (Japan)

Some other major players - Mane, Robertet (both French).

The issue with asking whom they produce for is that it can often be confidential...I know for a fact that a not-so-great producer in the US cannot list certain huge clients.

What about Coty?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    What about Coty?
    Coty is more of a licensor...they work with the companies above to produce their perfumes. For example, someone like Sarah Jessica Parker would sign a deal with Coty, who then hires perfumes from IFF to create the scent, then Coty markets, etc. Even huge companies like Estee Lauder don't make their own scents, and the only companies that have their own in-house perfumers are Chanel, Hermes, and Guerlain (and formerly Jean Patou).

Gotcha. Thanks.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Thanks for the interesting and informative thread.

I was wondering if anyone knows who produces the shoes for Ann D?

A small factory in Italy, exclusive to Ann. Location, undisclosed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine